March Madness 2024 Thread

Another Fan

So the bracket is out.  I'm more interested than normal in this tournament this year.

Just a few thoughts by me:

I seemed to think St. John's and Seton Hall would make the tournament.  20 wins for a Big East team used to be the magic number to seal the deal but I guess not anymore?

If I had to pick a team to win it all it'd be Dan Hurley and UConn again.  

Cool imo to see St. Peter's back in as a 15 seed.  Them and Wagner will be the teams I'll be pulling for to at least give a good showing.  

My Oregon Ducks made it! Haven't checked their seed yet, thinking a 10....its an 11 seed. Playing South Carolina as a 6 seed. South Carolina deserved to be seeded higher imo, 26-7 2nd in the SEC gets you a 6 seed?  Being 3rd in the Pac 12 and winning the conference tournament gets you an 11th seed? There are definitely a few undeserving teams seeded higher. It's gonna be a really tough first game but I wouldn't want to be Carolina either. 

Go Ducks!

Edited by Turk71

2 hours ago, Another Fan said:

So the bracket is out.  I'm more interested than normal in this tournament this year.

Just a few thoughts by me:

I seemed to think St. John's and Seton Hall would make the tournament.  20 wins for a Big East team used to be the magic number to seal the deal but I guess not anymore?

If I had to pick a team to win it all it'd be Dan Hurley and UConn again.  

Cool imo to see St. Peter's back in as a 15 seed.  Them and Wagner will be the teams I'll be pulling for to at least give a good showing.  

20 was the magic number when the Big East was the Big East typically 

When there was Syracuse and Pittsburgh and Louisville... With UConn and Georgetown and Villanova and St John's and Marquette, Notre Dame 

Schools like Seton hall were afterthoughts tho talented

The ACC 5 years ago was considered the most dominant basketball conference and is now also fell off...

Edited by Buffalo716

15 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

20 was the magic number when the Big East was the Big East typically 

When there was Syracuse and Pittsburgh and Louisville... With UConn and Georgetown and Villanova and St John's and Marquette, Notre Dame 

Schools like Seton hall were afterthoughts tho talented

The ACC 5 years ago was considered the most dominant basketball conference and is now also fell off...

I think smaller conference tournaments had some surprises which got automatic bids stealing some spots. The Big East will probably be right back to 5-6 bids next season. It was just the way things fell this year. 

From my BE team (Xavier) college hoops board:

I think we could see The 3 Big East teams do really well, even though I haven't looked at the matchups yet. I believe the national champion is almost always a top 25 offense and defense in the adjusted KenPom rankings.  All 3 BE teams are top 25 in both. There are only 8 teams that are and the BE has 3 of them.

EDIT: I was away at a wedding so I missed the hoopla when this came out. I heard today that of the four #1 seeds, three did NOT win their conference tournament. Only UConn won, so that alone is 3 extra teams getting an automatic bid. I think some tournaments out West went that way too. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1

I enjoy cheering for the dark colored uniforms on days like today. The NCAA basketball tournament is one of the rare events where the beginning is better than the finish.

56 minutes ago, Turk71 said:

Ducks crush South Carolina

Couisnard goes off for 40 points vs his old team 

Nfaly Dante healthy and dominant

Lookin good

Congrats on advancing! Hope you get on a roll! 

• Thank you (+1) 1

The NCAA tourney really is an amazing event

When you have close to 400 division 1 programs with talent spread around

Then you add in schemes and coaching

There's a reason why they can have 68 teams or whatever and make it very competitive

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1

Refs bailing out Kansas ....of course.

Incredible, absolutely clean block, no body contact, hand hits all ball with the ref looking right at it. Blows whistle and decides the game. 

Wtf

Edited by Turk71

15 hours ago, Turk71 said:

Goodbye Kentucky

If they had a real coach to work with the recruiter who is running that program, they might be dangerous.  Calipari likes to brag about the billions his guys have made in the NBA. So, why can’t he get a single win in the NCAA Tournament with so much NBA talent? He’s a shameless joke of a coach.  

Colorado Florida in a great game right now, both teams really came to play

4 hours ago, Augie said:

If they had a real coach to work with the recruiter who is running that program, they might be dangerous.  Calipari likes to brag about the billions his guys have made in the NBA. So, why can’t he get a single win in the NCAA Tournament with so much NBA talent? He’s a shameless joke of a coach.  

I don't follow them at all but I agree that for the amount of talent they get every year they definitely have been underachieving.

• Agree 1