Are you better off today than you were four years ago?

9 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Currently at 1.187 deaths. So ... the estimate was off by a factor of about 5.

Even if you discount that number by 50% (the old "died with coronavirus rather than because of coronavirus"), that's still over half a million deaths.

We shouldn't forget how awful this pandemic was, and how, despite an initial comedy of errors, we were able to take prudent (and sometimes exceptional) steps to work our way out of it.

Then tell me why we had as many deaths under Joke's first year as in Trump's last year? 

• Like (+1) 2

9 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Currently at 1.187 deaths. So ... the estimate was off by a factor of about 5.

Even if you discount that number by 50% (the old "died with coronavirus rather than because of coronavirus"), that's still over half a million deaths.

We shouldn't forget how awful this pandemic was, and how, despite an initial comedy of errors, we were able to take prudent (and sometimes exceptional) steps to work our way out of it.

What would you consider to be exceptional steps? 

• Like (+1) 1

Finding Qanon "prudent steps"

:lol:

A PCR test with a cycle threshold cutoff of 40 was/is comical, to name just one of the "prudent" (read: criminal) steps taken during the pandemic.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Welp.  According to the data and the constant complaining on social media.  Doesn't seem the younger generations are dealing this "amazing economy" 

When one grows up without overcoming obstacles, everything is a wall.  Or an opportunity to play the victim. 

1 minute ago, Tommy Callahan said:

Welp.  According to the data and the constant complaining on social media.  Doesn't seem the younger generations are dealing this "amazing economy" 

When one grows up without overcoming obstacles, everything is a wall.  Or an opportunity to play the victim. 

Taxes: I'm doing mine now. I'm missing a 1099 that the issuer knows I should have. I can't seem to shake it out of them.

My question: I received notice from the issuer that they were informing the IRS of a distribution. In other words, reporting it on a 1099. So the IRS already has this information. Why on earth do I need to get it myself to report it on my 1040? Why do I have to pay a third-party provider like TurboTax to re-report what's already been reported?

For years critics of the IRS have demanded direct filing, cutting out the middleman. And for years Congress has blocked that in response to Intuit, Block, and others lobbying to preserve their source of income. There is no better example of broken government.

• Agree 1

18 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Partial shutdowns, Operation Warp Speed were the big two.

Are you referring to the sort of shutdowns that had mom and pop shut down but Target going full speed ahead? Is there data out there to suggest partial shutdowns were of any value? 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, JDHillFan said:

Are you referring to the sort of shutdowns that had mom and pop shut down but Target going full speed ahead? Is there data out there to suggest partial shutdowns were of any value? 

What I'm saying is this: nobody has any evidence in support of the counterfactual, that things would have been better (or at least not any worse) had we just continued with life as usual.

We made mistakes. Understood. But here we are 4 years later having emerged from a pandemic in pretty damn good shape.

Just now, The Frankish Reich said:

What I'm saying is this: nobody has any evidence in support of the counterfactual, that things would have been better (or at least not any worse) had we just continued with life as usual.

We made mistakes. Understood. But here we are 4 years later having emerged from a pandemic in pretty damn good shape.

I’m just trying to follow your thinking. 

You - Partial shutdowns were an “exceptional” step

Me - Why?

You - why not?

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, JDHillFan said:

I’m just trying to follow your thinking. 

You - Partial shutdowns were an “exceptional” step

Me - Why?

You - why not?

Umm, because we've never had that type of shutdown in response to an infectious disease in recent memory?

In other words, it was an "exception" to our typical response. We might call that "exceptional."

• Like (+1) 1

I see the conflation of the two meanings of "exceptional" with that whole thing about "American exceptionalism."

As I've always understood the term from a historical perspective, it was not intended to mean "America is exceptionally good, the greatest nation on earth." Rather, it was intended to mean that other countries are formed by "nations" - a collection of people united by ethnicity/language/etc. "The French people," "The German people" or nation-state. America, rather, was a country defined by an ideal, as expressed in the Declaration of Independence, and an ideal that people from many nations/backgrounds/languages could accept and in turn be accepted as an American.

(Just a little digression on what I consider to be a misunderstanding based on an older use of the term "exceptional")

54 minutes ago, Doc said:

Yes, I was forced to be, to continue to work.

Good… and you’re thankfully still here.

Wish more on the right did the same but for all the good Trump did getting the vaccines expedited; he sabotaged those efforts.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Taxes: I'm doing mine now. I'm missing a 1099 that the issuer knows I should have. I can't seem to shake it out of them.

My question: I received notice from the issuer that they were informing the IRS of a distribution. In other words, reporting it on a 1099. So the IRS already has this information. Why on earth do I need to get it myself to report it on my 1040? Why do I have to pay a third-party provider like TurboTax to re-report what's already been reported?

The answer to your question is obvious.

First, if the IRS already has the 1099 data, which they do, and you don't think you need to provide it, that would mean they are doing your tax return.

That isn't how it works.

You file your tax return using, hopefully, the same data that is provided to them.

If there is a discrepancy, expect a letter in about two years.

It used to be that the 1099 data, ie., interest, dividends, capital gains etc., was provided to the IRS by the individual on his tax return.

Now they have the financial institution provide it, and weigh that data against what you submit.

It's quite easy to drag the 1099 into the return.

Second, you don't need to pay a third party.

You can still do your tax return and submit it without assistance from a commercial tax assistant. 

Remember, expert epidemiologists from Harvard, Stanford and Oxford were censored and canceled by the very same idiots who demanded that we FOLLOW THE SCIENCE!!!

Silencing scientific debate in the name of following the science. 

Morons 

It doesn't get any more anti-science than that.

9 minutes ago, BillStime said:

Good… and you’re thankfully still here.

Wish more on the right did the same but for all the good Trump did getting the vaccines expedited; he sabotaged those efforts.

I am healthy and odds are that I would have been fine without it and just as easily could have had serious side-effects from the vaccine.  I pray there are no long-term sequelae, which is why I didn't want to take one, not because of nanoparticles or any of that other conspiracy stuff.

I waited as long as I could to get vaccinated to see what would happen.  I saw they didn't prevent people from getting Wuhan virus or passing it to others.  Which told they lied about the reasons why we were being forced to get it.

Vulnerable populations should absolutely have gotten it.  And they should have been prioritized.

And Trump never once told people not to get it.  As you said he was instrumental in getting them out and everyone, especially his supporters, knew that.  Whereas Kamala actually said she wouldn't trust the vaccine.  It's another example of Trump being blamed for telling people to do things when he never said anything of the sort.

• Thank you (+1) 2

Some quintile is doing amazing in this economy. 

Taylor Swift among 141 new billionaires in ‘amazing year for rich people’ | Rich lists | The Guardian

Taylor Swift among 141 new billionaires in ‘amazing year for rich people

Combined assets of $14.2tn are more than the GDP of every country except China and the US

There are more billionaires than ever before. The world has 2,781 people with fortunes exceeding $1bn (£800m), an increase of 141 on 2023, according to Forbes’ annual ranking of the world’s richest people – with Taylor Swift among those making the list.

The billionaires are also collectively worth more than ever, with combined assets estimated at $14.2tn – a $2tn increase on 2023 and more than the GDP of every country except the US and China.

Their collective wealth has risen by 120% in the past decade, at the same time as billions of people across the world have seen their living standards decrease in the face of inflation and the cost of living crisis.

“It’s been an amazing year for the world’s richest people, with more billionaires around the world than ever before,” said Chase Peterson-Withorn, Forbes’ wealth editor. “A record-breaking 14 centibillionaires [$100bn] have 12-figure fortunes. Even during times of financial uncertainty for many, the super-rich continue to thrive.”

The richest person on the planet is Bernard Arnault, the majority owner of the luxury goods conglomerate LVMH, whose fortune, according to Forbes, increased by 10% to $233bn. Elon Musk is in second place with $195bn, an 8% increase on last year.

https://youtu.be/0BAEUksdLCs?si=YHtn-4VU93GdkZYn

Edited by Tommy Callahan

3 minutes ago, Doc said:

As you said he was instrumental in getting them out and everyone, especially his supporters, knew that.  Whereas Kamala actually said she wouldn't trust the vaccine.

You know most Americans do not trust Trump, right? All he did was trash our country, our government, our allies, divide and invoke fear and hate throughout his four years. He cultivated zero credibility outside his gullible cult.

Trump's handling of the lead-up to the virus was questionable, given that he didn't build any credibility. He dismissed its seriousness initially, knowing it was bad news. He then promoted unproven solutions like ivermectin and hydroxychloroquine, potentially causing more harm than good. Furthermore, he endorsed America's Frontline Doctors, who make outlandish claims about witches and demons.

As a supposed doctor, would you consider taking any advice from any politician, let alone Donald Trump?

3 hours ago, BillStime said:

You know most Americans do not trust Trump, right? All he did was trash our country, our government, our allies, divide and invoke fear and hate throughout his four years. He cultivated zero credibility outside his gullible cult.

Trump's handling of the lead-up to the virus was questionable, given that he didn't build any credibility. He dismissed its seriousness initially, knowing it was bad news. He then promoted unproven solutions like ivermectin and hydroxychloroquine, potentially causing more harm than good. Furthermore, he endorsed America's Frontline Doctors, who make outlandish claims about witches and demons.

As a supposed doctor, would you consider taking any advice from any politician, let alone Donald Trump?

Trump didn't push ivermectin.  That was more Joe Rogan, who is more of a Democrat.

And many doctors were talking about HCQ as a treatment for Wuhan virus before Trump, which is why Trump started promoting it.  Fauci even mentioned it as a possible treatment for coronaviridae years prior.  You see, there was no treatment for Wuhan virus at all at the time and it was a safe drug and we were trying to save lives.  Meanwhile the left did all they could to make it sound like a dangerous drug that Trump invented because he owned stock in it and thus it couldn't be taken under any circumstances.  We all know the reason why.

And for the love of god stop talking about Trump's "credibility" or how he didn't take it seriously.  Biden did a worse job considering he had as many deaths in his first year despite vaccines and treatments.

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Doc said:

Trump didn't push ivermectin.  That was more Joe Rogan, who is more of a Democrat.

And many doctors were talking about HCQ as a treatment for Wuhan virus before Trump, which is why Trump started promoting it.  Fauci even mentioned it as a possible treatment for coronaviridae years prior.  You see, there was no treatment for Wuhan virus at all at the time and it was a safe drug and we were trying to save lives.  Meanwhile the left did all they could to make it sound like a dangerous drug that Trump invented because he owned stock in it and thus it couldn't be taken under any circumstances.  We all know the reason why.

blah blah blah - there was enough people in the right-wing ecosystem pushing conspiracies and unproven drugs, including Trump and his staff.

32 minutes ago, Doc said:

And for the love of god stop talking about Trump's "credibility" or how he didn't take it seriously. 

LMAO - It really bothers you that Trump continually ignored his intelligence, even after learning about the contagious nature of COVID. Despite this knowledge, he still misled everyone by asserting that it would just disappear. Trump started with - "disappear within days, sometimes within one month, and now “at some point”.

"By JULY 2020 - the US has seen the world’s worst death toll with some 130,000 American lives lost and 2.74 million infected."

“I think that, at some point, that’s going to sort of disappear, I hope”.

Coronavirus: All the times Trump has baselessly claimed Covid-19 would disappear

Trump Predicted ‘Covid, Covid, Covid’ Would End After The Election. It's Worse Than Ever

Six months of Trump's Covid denials: ‘It'll go away … It’s fading’

‘One day, it’s like a miracle, it will disappear’: Trump on Covid-19

1 hour ago, BillStime said:

blah blah blah - there was enough people in the right-wing ecosystem pushing conspiracies and unproven drugs, including Trump and his staff.

LMAO - It really bothers you that Trump continually ignored his intelligence, even after learning about the contagious nature of COVID. Despite this knowledge, he still misled everyone by asserting that it would just disappear. Trump started with - "disappear within days, sometimes within one month, and now “at some point”.

"By JULY 2020 - the US has seen the world’s worst death toll with some 130,000 American lives lost and 2.74 million infected."

Coronavirus: All the times Trump has baselessly claimed Covid-19 would disappear

Trump Predicted ‘Covid, Covid, Covid’ Would End After The Election. It's Worse Than Ever

How do you explain Kamala telling everyone not to trust the vaccine because Trump was the president?

• Like (+1) 2

52 minutes ago, Westside said:

How do you explain Kamala telling everyone not to trust the vaccine because Trump was the president?

Do you think Trump cultivated ANY credibility with the American people with the way he mismanaged the COVID response?

When he wasn’t wishing it away and praising China, his desperation led him to jump on every unproven remedy, praising Americas Front Line Doctors and all of this misinformation was repeated throughout the right wing echo chamber. 

Regarding Kamala:

Senator Kamala Harris said during Wednesday's vice presidential debate that she will only follow instructions from health experts on whether to take a coronavirus vaccine, not President Trump.

I would never take medical advice from anyone who is not an MD.

15 minutes ago, BillStime said:

Do you think Trump cultivated ANY credibility with the American people with the way he mismanaged the COVID response?

When he wasn’t wishing it away and praising China, his desperation led him to jump on every unproven remedy, praising Americas Front Line Doctors and all of this misinformation was repeated throughout the right wing echo chamber. 

Regarding Kamala:

Senator Kamala Harris said during Wednesday's vice presidential debate that she will only follow instructions from health experts on whether to take a coronavirus vaccine, not President Trump.

I would never take medical advice from anyone who is not an MD.

The left has flip flopped so many times from the time Trump announced the vaccine for covid and when biden took control, the lefts opinion on the covid vaccine depended on who the president was at the moment. You know that's true, but you're unable or unwilling to tell the truth.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Westside said:

The left has flip flopped so many times from the time Trump announced the vaccine for covid and when biden took control, the lefts opinion on the covid vaccine depended on who the president was at the moment. You know that's true, but you're unable or unwilling to tell the truth.

Oh ok. Who was managing COVID from the start?

Who was flip flopping on when it would go away - what to take - what to do- it was a colossal mess and a lot of people

won’t be here to vote for Trump in 2024.

11 minutes ago, BillStime said:

Oh ok. Who was managing COVID from the start?

Who was flip flopping on when it would go away - what to take - what to do- it was a colossal mess and a lot of people

won’t be here to vote for Trump in 2024.

It was a mess from the beginning. The left fought tooth and nail anything Trump tried to do. When he banned travel to and from china, it was the left who called him a racist. Did you forget that? Kamala and other politicians warning people to not take the Trump vaccine. But you already know this.

• Thank you (+1) 2

19 minutes ago, Westside said:

The left fought tooth and nail anything Trump tried to do.

Source? 

19 minutes ago, Westside said:

When he banned travel to and from china, it was the left who called him a racist.

The guy was less than forthcoming about the severity of the VIRUS. Again, he cultivated ZERO creditability with every other thing he did... Makes sense people question when he didn't share JACK about the Virus.

Regarding the "China" travel ban (that wasn't) - Trump "banned" travel between the US and China in Jan/Feb 2020 - you know what he did on Jan 31, 2020?  He banned travel from predominantly African nations as well - which pissed off democrats.

Trump has made cracking down on immigration a focus of his 2020 re-election campaign, and his travel ban policy is popular with Republican supporters – but experts say that it will harm US efforts to roll back the growing influence of Russia and China in Africa.

Pelosi: Trump’s expanded travel ban is ‘outrageous, un-American’ and threatens ‘rule of law’

“The Trump Administration’s expansion of its outrageous, un-American travel ban threatens our security, our values and the rule of law. The sweeping rule, barring more than 350 million individuals from predominantly African nations from traveling to the United States, is discrimination disguised as policy,”

Sorry, right wing media spun it in such a way to purposely confuse and incite you... it happens.

19 hours ago, BillStime said:

No the impetus for HCQ came from doctors who weren't pushing ay political agenda and were trying to find something to fight a virus with no known treatments at the time.  The left trying to claim it was a dangerous drug so that no one used it told me all I needed to know.

And no, I wasn't bothered by it.  I knew that Hilly would have done no better, if not worse.  And I was proven right by Joke's first year in Office.   

• Agree 1

The conservatives were pushing to go herd.  Brazil essentially did and filled mass graves - only to see a varient come by less than a year later and reinfect and kill so many more.  

The GOP was anti medicine and anti science.  1 million Americans died.  

• Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, sleeby said:

The conservatives were pushing to go herd.  Brazil essentially did and filled mass graves - only to see a varient come by less than a year later and reinfect and kill so many more.  

Wrong

34 minutes ago, sleeby said:

Lie

39 minutes ago, sleeby said:

As many people died under Biden's first year as Trump's last year despite there being vaccines and treatments not available under Trump.  Biden not only didn't "shut down the virus," you could argue he did a worse job despite "correcting all the things Trump did wrong."