Say the Bills DON’T restructure Josh Allen…

The Bills have 243 million invested in 35 players so far (this is net of White’s June 1 release) not including futures contracts.  They lack starters at safety and along the D Line and at WR.  Even if the WR comes from the draft, Beane is going to get vet help at Safety and D Line.  12 million isn’t enough to complete the roster.  

We are also still over the cap for Mar 13 purposes.  

Something has to give.  Maybe we don’t have to do all of Josh’s possible 23 million, especially if Beane makes other cap related moves, such as a Dawkins extension or Knox restructure, but some of Josh’s salary will almost certainly have to be reclassified to a bonus.

17 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Last year I would have agreed with you. I thought OT or C would be top priority.  Fast forward to now and I think Dawkins and Brown are fine at OT this year and we can get by at C with McGovern. 

The priority is WR and DL for this draft.

good point.  forgot McGovern could play C and Edwards could slide in at LG

Def want to see a cpl OL taken day  3

Edited by JerseyBills

Is Beane not restructuring Josh so he can approach players about pay cuts?

You’d think their agents would know better, but Beane saying “we have no space” is a better negotiating tactic than saying “we need more than $24M”

To me, if the Bills don't restructure Allen's contract, and some others, I would think either, Pagula is hurting for cash, or the Bills management is not serious about a run for the Super Bowl next season.

2 minutes ago, buffalostu2 said:

Why is that a huge positive?

From my understanding (which may be wrong), restructuring just pushes guaranteed money down the line, the bill eventually comes due. Paying now frees us and gives more financial flexibility in years to come. 

5 hours ago, finn said:

I hear you, but then I look at what the Chiefs did two years ago facing a similar situation (Mahomes' contract). They traded one of their best players (Tyreek) for picks that turned into McDuffie, Skye Moore, Rashee Rice, two other players, and a fifth-rounder this year, they took the full hit of Mahomes' salary ($36 million, 17% of the cap that year), and THEY WON THE SUPER BOWL, while setting themselves up for years to come. 

Meanwhile, the Bills went all-in, signing Von Miller to that 6-year, $114 million contract that is now an albatross around their necks, even with the restructuring. I'm not trashing Beane. I think Miller was a reasonable gamble. I would have preferred signing a younger DE, but whatever. 

The point is, the Bills might be able to absorb the full hit of Allen's contract and be competitive this year, even win it all. They have to stay healthy, and they need four starters not yet on the roster, at least at the moment: DT, DE, WR, and safety. 

I'm thinking sign Jones at DT (shouldn't be too expensive), trade up for an impact WR, sign a decent safety at a moderate contract (given the market), and, well, cross your fingers at DE. Maybe Miller can earn his pay. In the draft, add depth at DT, DE, safety, and corner. Voila, a competitive, relatively inexpensive team, with a healthy cap going forward. 

My one radical idea: Trade Milano (30 in July) for multiple picks. Start Williams and Bernard, draft a backup. Get younger and cheaper. 

God I was agreeing with everything, until your last sentence! hahahaha . Honestly I don't think any LB is turning into multiple picks, doesn't seem to be a coveted position anymore like it used to be. Maybe he would get a 4th? I'd rather keep him.

8 minutes ago, CheshireCT said:

God I was agreeing with everything, until your last sentence! hahahaha . Honestly I don't think any LB is turning into multiple picks, doesn't seem to be a coveted position anymore like it used to be. Maybe he would get a 4th? I'd rather keep him.

Agreed. I wouldn't trade him for less than first-round pick and extras. 

• Like (+1) 1