John Oliver just offered Clarence Thomas $1mil/year to retire from the SCOTUS

2 minutes ago, Capco said:

I'm amazed not one person responded to this.

I will take one for the team here.

Don’t be. The guy is a douche and it was an idiotic bit. I’m sure he would be happy to know that it hit home with at least one person out there. 

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Doc said:

I'd pay $1 to see John Oliver go away.

Jealousy is ugly.   Conservatives have not one show as funny as Last Week Tonight.   Not even close.  Gutfeld is the closest you got and he's only funny ironically.  Intelligent/creative people lean overwhelmingly to our side of the aisle.  Sucks to be you.  Reduced to hating on anything that mocks you.

HBO is the best of the best.  Any show on there for a long period of time is there for a reason. 

15 minutes ago, L Ron Burgundy said:

Jealousy is ugly.   Conservatives have not one show as funny as Last Week Tonight.   Not even close.  Gutfeld is the closest you got and he's only funny ironically.  Intelligent/creative people lean overwhelmingly to our side of the aisle.  Sucks to be you.  Reduced to hating on anything that mocks you.

HBO is the best of the best.  Any show on there for a long period of time is there for a reason. 

Canned laugh tracks are the hallmark of being funny and intelligent...

4 minutes ago, L Ron Burgundy said:

You sound like the old goobers online always saying remember when snl was funny?  

I'd be jealous too. 

Wait, you think SNL is funny?  LOL! 

Did you yuck-it-up when their "news" team guffawed over Trump saying "debank"? 

Says everything...

1 minute ago, Doc said:

Wait, you think SNL is funny?  LOL! 

Did you yuck-it-up when their "news" team guffawed over Trump saying "debank"? 

Says everything...

Oooh the jealousy is strong with this one.  I love it.  I see what you fools post here and react to.  Zero sense of humor.   But hey you have Jeff Foxworthy and Steven Crowder....

1 minute ago, L Ron Burgundy said:

Oooh the jealousy is strong with this one.  I love it.  I see what you fools post here and react to.  Zero sense of humor.   But hey you have Jeff Foxworthy and Steven Crowder....

I love that you love Oliver and SNL.  It confirms everything I know about your intelligence level.

Just now, Doc said:

I love that you love Oliver and SNL.  It confirms everything I know about your intelligence level.

There is literally no option for you as a conservative as funny or creative as either.

My position isn't that I love them, it's that you have absolutely nothing even approaching their level.  And every single person in entertainment,  be that a writer or comedian,  would agree with me.  

3 minutes ago, L Ron Burgundy said:

There is literally no option for you as a conservative as funny or creative as either.

My position isn't that I love them, it's that you have absolutely nothing even approaching their level.  And every single person in entertainment,  be that a writer or comedian,  would agree with me.  

Gutfeld (who you mentioned) blows him away.  And he's even got a (gasp) black man on his "panel" almost every night.  He was destroying the other late night John Olivers in ratings despite being on cable, until he moved to 10 PM.

Oliver’s show is “good” in the same way the daily show with Jon Liebowitz was “good.” Hypnotic pacing woven into bite sized motte and Bailey-laden paragraphs meant to make people feel superior for not carefully listening. 

2 minutes ago, Doc said:

Gutfeld (who you mentioned) blows him away.  And he's even got a (gasp) black man on his "panel" almost every night.  He was destroying the other late night John Olivers in ratings despite being on cable, until he moved to 10 PM.

Rofl! Hmmm, ratings eh?

You may not comprehend but being the only conservative late night voice for humor might give a bit of an edge there no?  My examples actually have competition. 

47 minutes ago, L Ron Burgundy said:

So now it's important for political parties to have the funniest TV shows and that is somehow important?

SNL had never really been all that funny. Was true even in the Akroyd/Curtain/Belushi/Morris era. They'll have a funny skit now and then but you have to watch too many unfunny ones to get to it to make it worthwhile IMHO.

And as with most comedy shows that dealt with politics (Johnny Carson for example), they used to make fun of whoever the President was.  Now they take a side which makes it less funny.  Like Colbert for example whose new show is anything but funny but very political.  Loved the Colbert Report so I watched a few of his new show when it first started.  I was sadly disappointed.

Edited by reddogblitz

9 minutes ago, L Ron Burgundy said:

Rofl! Hmmm, ratings eh?

You may not comprehend but being the only conservative late night voice for humor might give a bit of an edge there no?  My examples actually have competition. 

Gutfeld's show is awful. It's awful by design, because it's the kind of obvious "humor" Fox viewers like.

His earlier show was Red Eye, not surprisingly buried in the wee hours. It wasn't a laugh riot, but he showed some cleverness in how he designed the back-and-forth with the other contributors, mostly Andy Levy.

But as soon as he started popping up on prime time he realized what side his bread was buttered on, and we got this sorry excuse for humor.

1 minute ago, reddogblitz said:

Like Colbert for example

Also not funny.

12 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

So now it's important for political parties to have the funniest TV shows and that is somehow important?

SNL had never really been all that funny. Was true even in the Akroyd/Curtain/Belushi/Morris era. They'll have a funny skit now and then but you have to watch too many unfunny ones to get to it to make it worthwhile IMHO.

And as with most comedy shows that dealt with politics (Johnny Carson for example), they used to make fun of whoever the President was.  Now they take a side which makes it less funny.  Like Colbert for example whose new show is anything but funny but very political.  Loved the Colbert Report so I watched a few of his new show when it first started.  I was sadly disappointed.

It's not important.   But it does have some limited meaning.  It shows that conservative minds are not creative or funny.  And maybe shows are out of touch with pop culture. 

And I agree on snl.  If I watch the whole show they'll have 2,3 funny skits.  Not great, though it's not my type of humor mostly.   And yet.....destroys anything that leans conservative.

But I would laugh at things that make fun of the left, unlike right wing twats.   

14 hours ago, L Ron Burgundy said:

It's not important.   But it does have some limited meaning.  It shows that conservative minds are not creative or funny.  And maybe shows are out of touch with pop culture. 

And I agree on snl.  If I watch the whole show they'll have 2,3 funny skits.  Not great, though it's not my type of humor mostly.   And yet.....destroys anything that leans conservative.

But I would laugh at things that make fun of the left, unlike right wing twats.   

Conservatives don't base our thoughts on what is funniest. It is hard to make jokes about what a crap show NYS has become because everyone I know who still lives there has a lesser life because of the government. It is hard to make jokes about the problems created by liberal policies since the issues are so serious. But in reference to John Oliver himself he has an average of 400k viewers, which makes him equal to a regular season WNBA game. 

16 hours ago, L Ron Burgundy said:

Rofl! Hmmm, ratings eh?

Yeah,ratings.  An objective view of who is tuning in.  Versus the subjective "he's funner than him."

And ColberT is the only true competition since his shtick was based on political humor while the others mainly bash Repubs in their opening monologues and then turn to celeb interviews, skits and musical performances.  Although I have never watched ColberT so I don't know how much of his show is based on politics.

The funniest part about Oliver is seeing him go spastic during his rants. 

Edited by Doc

3 hours ago, Doc said:

Yeah,ratings.  An objective view of who is tuning in.  Versus the subjective "he's funner than him."

And ColberT is the only true competition since his shtick was based on political humor while the others mainly bash Repubs in their opening monologues and then turn to celeb interviews, skits and musical performances.  Although I have never watched ColberT so I don't know how much of his show is based on politics.

The funniest part about Oliver is seeing him go spastic during his rants. 

28 emmys.   This isn't really a debate.   Comparing hbo vs fox.  You just don't like it because he often points out hard truths you would never accept. 

Its not always funny but they hit the mark enough.   They pick good topics often too.  If you weren't close minded and had an iota of humor you'd like it.

5 minutes ago, L Ron Burgundy said:

28 emmys.   This isn't really a debate.   Comparing hbo vs fox.  You just don't like it because he often points out hard truths you would never accept. 

Its not always funny but they hit the mark enough.   They pick good topics often too.  If you weren't close minded and had an iota of humor you'd like it.

Right.  What did Johnny say about the cocaine found in the White House?  How about who is responsible for the crisis at the border?  What about the revelation that Joke knew he had classified material in his house and shared it with his ghost writer?