Question for anybody that follows the NBA...

BillsPride12

So I used to be an NBA fan at one point but have really tuned out in recent years.  The last time I had any remote interest was when the Milwaukee Bucks won a title.  Thought it was a cool story because they were like the Buffalo Sabres of the NBA when I used to really be an NBA fan and I always liked Giannis and it was just fun to see a small market team win a title instead of the usual bigtime markets of the NBA.  But anyways my question is what the hell happened with them since they won the title?  Seems like everything has completely unraveled over there.  I saw recently they fired their coach and brought in Doc Rivers and just saw even he has gone 3-7 in his first 10 games.  So what happened??

When I think of Bucks I still think of Glenn Big Dog Robinson and Step by Step references 😅.

When Cleveland made it to the finals in 2016 I got interested in them a little like that.  It's cool that they seem to have a good team this year but they still dont interest me.

Yeah my think in the NBA this year is Detroit.  I always had the image in my head of them as a solid team/franchise.  

When sports talk radio gets to the NBA, I listen to music for a while. Sorry, I can’t help you. 

I was a big fan back when Buffalo had the Braves and we split season tix with another family. My sister would babysit for Bob Kauffman who lived right behind us and would play around with us at the community hoop.

Fast forward to when my kids were that age……we would bribe them when we were traveling to NBA cities. They were big AAU players and we’d get them to behave by saying we’d take them to the game tonight if we approved of their behavior. One weekday night in Charlotte the younger son turned to me about 5 minutes in and said “they’re not even trying!”  BINGO! If they don’t care, why should I? 

I went to a pre-season Golden State Warriors game once (before Curry and all the titles). One of the players literally went on the mic, thanking the fans for going to a pre-season game so he could get more money. Game was boring. Left at halftime. 

• Haha (+1) 1

23 hours ago, Another Fan said:

When I think of Bucks I still think of Glenn Big Dog Robinson and Step by Step references 😅.

When Cleveland made it to the finals in 2016 I got interested in them a little like that.  It's cool that they seem to have a good team this year but they still dont interest me.

Yeah my think in the NBA this year is Detroit.  I always had the image in my head of them as a solid team/franchise.  

That's pretty funny, I used to watch Step by Step when I was a kid and I knew the family were huge Packers fans but I can't remember any Bucks references offhand lol

I was into the Cleveland/Golden State rivalry for a bit and that was really the last time I was watching the NBA outside of paying attention to the Bucks winning the championship a few years later.  

It depends on how you look at it.  I don't think anything has really happened to them.  They are still 3rd in the Eastern Conference.   They needlessly moved on from Mike Budenholzer who was a hell of a head coach because they weren't winning the title every year.  It was change for the sake of change.

I think they hired Adrian Griffin thinking adding he and Dame would turn the Bucks into world beaters but it looks like the players didn't care for the guy so he is out.

They will still make the playoffs and likely win a series but Doc Rivers is an overrated coach anyways.   It's the NBA the players run the show.   They should have never moved on from Budenholzer.

One quick thing on the NBA.  I am not sure any professional sports league does a better job with their All Star game presentation.  All Star weekend is a hell of a lot of fun.

Edited by thenorthremembers

1 hour ago, thenorthremembers said:

It depends on how you look at it.  I don't think anything has really happened to them.  They are still 3rd in the Eastern Conference.   They needlessly moved on from Mike Budenholzer who was a hell of a head coach because they weren't winning the title every year.  It was change for the sake of change.

I think they hired Adrian Griffin thinking adding he and Dame would turn the Bucks into world beaters but it looks like the players didn't care for the guy so he is out.

They will still make the playoffs and likely win a series but Doc Rivers is an overrated coach anyways.   It's the NBA the players run the show.   They should have never moved on from Budenholzer.

One quick thing on the NBA.  I am not sure any professional sports league does a better job with their All Star game presentation.  All Star weekend is a hell of a lot of fun.

Thanks for the perspective, this is what I was looking for.  I haven't watched an NBA all star game in over a Decade I'd guess.  I was reading online the slam dunk contest has become a real joke though.

6 hours ago, BillsPride12 said:

Thanks for the perspective, this is what I was looking for.  I haven't watched an NBA all star game in over a Decade I'd guess.  I was reading online the slam dunk contest has become a real joke though.

Yeah man.  The dunk contest is horrid.   Filled with low level NBAers and G Leaguers.   Too many attempts for guys who aren't really great flyers to start with.  Its long and boring.   The 3 point contest, futures tournament and celebrity game are the highlights of the weekend.   I didn't get a chance to watch everything but I did tune in to the futures game for a bit on Friday night, and then for all of the 3-point contest on Saturday.

I am a 90's kid so I think I was spoiled in terms of watching some of the best basketball of all time.  That said, my teenage son is a huge fan of the NBA and sneaker culture so he has brought me back into the fold.  Lots of very fun young talent in the league.   Guys who could very well be in the top fifteen scorers of all time when its said and down.   Luka, Devn Booker, Trae Young, Jayson Tatum, Paolo, Webenyama, and Anthony Edwards are all guys who could make a big impact on the history of the game in the next 10-15 years.    I've enjoyed following the league a bit more over the last few years.

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

Yeah man.  The dunk contest is horrid.   Filled with low level NBAers and G Leaguers.   Too many attempts for guys who aren't really great flyers to start with.  Its long and boring.   The 3 point contest, futures tournament and celebrity game are the highlights of the weekend.   I didn't get a chance to watch everything but I did tune in to the futures game for a bit on Friday night, and then for all of the 3-point contest on Saturday.

I am a 90's kid so I think I was spoiled in terms of watching some of the best basketball of all time.  That said, my teenage son is a huge fan of the NBA and sneaker culture so he has brought me back into the fold.  Lots of very fun young talent in the league.   Guys who could very well be in the top fifteen scorers of all time when its said and down.   Luka, Devn Booker, Trae Young, Jayson Tatum, Paolo, Webenyama, and Anthony Edwards are all guys who could make a big impact on the history of the game in the next 10-15 years.    I've enjoyed following the league a bit more over the last few years.

The dunk contest hasn’t been interesting since Spud Webb was in it, imo. 

1 hour ago, Augie said:

The dunk contest hasn’t been interesting since Spud Webb was in it, imo. 

There have been a few really good ones since then.  Jordan won back to back right after Spud won.   Dominique, Harold Miner, and Kobe were all really good.  But the last really good one I've watched was Vince Carter in 2000.   So about 25 years of boring.  The last 5 years in particular have been a total borefest. 

6 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

There have been a few really good ones since then.  Jordan won back to back right after Spud won.   Dominique, Harold Miner, and Kobe were all really good.  But the last really good one I've watched was Vince Carter in 2000.   So about 25 years of boring.  The last 5 years in particular have been a total borefest. 

Vince Carter over the Russian may be the only thing that competes with my memory of Spud. Giants dunking just don’t do it for me, but that’s just me of course. 

• Like (+1) 1

To bring in Dame Lillard, the Bucks had to trade Jrue Holliday, one of the best perimeter defenders in the NBA. As great as Dame is, Defense is not his forte.

Also, coach Adrien Griffen was fired because his defensive schemes were lacking, and Doc was brought in to shore up the Defense, however a 3-7 start isn’t a good sign that he will be able to turn the ship around.(Not to mention that IMO, Doc Rivers is the most overrated coach in the NBA. Only one title in Boston with Garnett, Pierce, and Ray Allen, and Playoff choke-jobs with the Clippers and 76’ers.)

Edited by Special K
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.