NeverOutNick's First round QB rankings

NeverOutNick

12 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea I am still there on Nix. I can't unsee everything I have seen. Just looking at his Oregon career I'd say he has a high floor even if not the highest ceiling. But I have seen his floor. And it freaking stinks. 

I dunno. I think he is scheme over substance. 

I haven't dug properly into the film but that's where I start with him.

I keep thinking Bo Nix is Mac Jones 2.0.

7 minutes ago, CSBill said:

That’s a fair comparison. Maybe without being a head case lol. I think he’s a better athlete and decision maker than Mac. But imagine if Mac Jones went to a team that wasn’t totally lacking an offensive direction. 

• Agree 1

14 minutes ago, NeverOutNick said:

That’s a fair comparison. Maybe without being a head case lol. I think he’s a better athlete and decision maker than Mac. But imagine if Mac Jones went to a team that wasn’t totally lacking an offensive direction. 

Mac still wouldn't be a franchise QB. Could he be a serviceable lower grade starter? Sure. That's possible. 

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

Mac still wouldn't be a franchise QB. Could he be a serviceable lower grade starter? Sure. That's possible. 

It sucks because unless he resurrects his career going to a team that has a great offensive structure we’ll never know. I think Mac still has the skill set to be a very good NFL starter somewhere between Baker and Purdy level if given the right opportunity. But mentally he isn’t on those dudes level so you’re probably more right than wrong

1 minute ago, NeverOutNick said:

It sucks because unless he resurrects his career going to a team that has a great offensive structure we’ll never know. I think Mac still has the skill set to be a very good NFL starter somewhere between Baker and Purdy level if given the right opportunity. But mentally he isn’t on those dudes level so you’re probably more right than wrong

I'm interested on who is where on this scale..... because I think I might not be imagining them where you intend them to be. 

Just now, John from Riverside said:

The quarterback evaluations are interesting to me, because I think this might be the year that we should draft one as the back up since we are doomed if we lose Josh Allen anyway

Draft pics are cheaper

Yea, but we are not drafting any of the guys @NeverOutNick has listed here. They are gone by the 3rd absolute latest. 

5 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I'm interested on who is where on this scale..... because I think I might not be imagining them where you intend them to be. 

Baker at his best is a top 10 QB in this league. He can make every throw with great anticipation while leading his receivers to be able to RAC. Purdy has the absolute perfect situation around him, is very intelligent but doesn’t have the same physical gifts that baker does. I think Mac has a higher ceiling than Purdy but he’ll never get the situation Purdy is in and Mac also doesn’t seem to have the mental makeup to be a franchise guy

Just now, NeverOutNick said:

Baker at his best is a top 10 QB in this league. He can make every throw with great anticipation while leading his receivers to be able to RAC. Purdy has the absolute perfect situation around him, is very intelligent but doesn’t have the same physical gifts that baker does. I think Mac has a higher ceiling than Purdy but he’ll never get the situation Purdy is in and Mac also doesn’t seem to have the mental makeup to be a franchise guy

In which case I take it back.... we do have that spectrum the same way around. I'm not sure I quite agree with top 10 but Baker has more ability than Brock IMO. The thing that has held Baker back is Baker. If he has truly humbled himself and keeps his head down in Tampa rather than letting his relative success this year re-inflate his ego he can be a long term 5-10 year starter for the Buccs. 

• Like (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Yeah, I was kind of hoping there would be more analysis of QB further down the trough

I’m not impressed with the late QBs thus far but I’ll definitely dig more into it. I almost think this offseason we should just sign Trubisky as the cheap backup. He sucked everywhere else but behind Josh he was great 

I will say, without doing a deep dive on him yet I like the quarterback from FSU, Travis as a late round flyer, but I’ve only really watched him in passing

Edited by NeverOutNick

4 minutes ago, NeverOutNick said:

I’m not impressed with the late QBs thus far but I’ll definitely dig more into it. I almost think this offseason we should just sign Trubisky as the cheap backup. He sucked everywhere else but behind Josh he was great 

I will say, without doing a deep dive on him yet I like the quarterback from FSU, Travis as a late round flyer, but I’ve only really watched him in passing

I certainly haven't gone deep into any of the late round guys but Carter Bradley and Joe Milton are the two toolsy guys later on I'm interested in. That's the kind of guy I'm interested in the Bills taking a shot rather than a kind of physically limited college game manager. No more Jake Fromm types. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, CSBill said:

I think there’s a lot of similarity between Nix and Ryan Tannehill when he was at A&M. But Nix is both very old for a rookie QB and also kinda unproven given his struggles at Auburn and the incredibly favorable scheme he played in at Oregon. Not someone I’d wanted to spend an early pick on as a result but I do think there’s plenty to like. 

16 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Excellent write up! Seriously 

Only one question: Does anybody know if Bo’s teammates went to his birthday party? 😉

No idea, but I know the answer for Jayden Daniels' old teammates at Arizona State was a hell no lol

15 hours ago, NeverOutNick said:

I hope if he ends up with NE that both of you are right on Nix. 

Since his Auburn days when he was immature and chaotic, he has grown into a real NFL QB. I’m very impressed with him and am totally comfortable standing on an island with my take. He’s going to succeed 

I said this before, but this draft is going to be a total referendum on developing QB’s. If these nine year starters like Daniels and Nix pan out after years of looking not NFL caliber, it’s going to make a lot coaches and execs think differently on how to get a QB.

4 minutes ago, FireChans said:

I said this before, but this draft is going to be a total referendum on developing QB’s. If these nine year starters like Daniels and Nix pan out after years of looking not NFL caliber, it’s going to make a lot coaches and execs think differently on how to get a QB.

It's a crapshoot.  You just have to hope you get lucky.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Doc said:

It's a crapshoot.  You just have to hope you get lucky.

Idk man, if Bo Nix ends up being a guy in the NFL, I’d have to give a lot of credit to him playing in college forever. He was horrific at Auburn.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, FireChans said:

Idk man, if Bo Nix ends up being a guy in the NFL, I’d have to give a lot of credit to him playing in college forever. He was horrific at Auburn.

What Nix did going from Auburn to Oregon and putting in the work to get better is what JJ needed to do. I believe it was foolish for him to come out this draft. He needed at least another year

Edited by NeverOutNick

3 hours ago, NeverOutNick said:

He might get a similar situation if he went to Atlanta. They have weapons everywhere and they will run that Shanahan/McVey system. He wouldn't have to be the "franchise guy" there. Just get the ball to Pitts, London, and Robinson in space and let them do their thing. 

• Like (+1) 1