NeverOutNick's First round QB rankings

NeverOutNick

32 minutes ago, NeverOutNick said:

What Nix did going from Auburn to Oregon and putting in the work to get better is what JJ needed to do. I believe it was foolish for him to come out this draft. He needed at least another year

Seems like people expect JJ to go early in the first round at this point. Feels unlikely he would have improved his stock from there by staying longer, especially with his coach making the jump to the NFL. On the flipside, next year's QB class looks weak at the moment so there's a chance he could have been QB1 next year.

I know there's been at least one report he's as high as QB2 on some team's big boards this year though.

Edited by DCOrange

4 hours ago, DCOrange said:

Seems like people expect JJ to go early in the first round at this point. Feels unlikely he would have improved his stock from there by staying longer, especially with his coach making the jump to the NFL. On the flipside, next year's QB class looks weak at the moment so there's a chance he could have been QB1 next year.

I know there's been at least one report he's as high as QB2 on some team's big boards this year though.

All it takes is one team to fall in love with his “potential”. I just think his issues with inconsistency and inaccuracy are not worthy of the first round risk. I hope NE loves him at 3 though lol

Edited by NeverOutNick

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/15/2024 at 10:45 AM, DCOrange said:

I’ve been thinking about JJ some more. I still haven’t changed my view on him as an actual NFL starting QB. He shouldn’t be a day 1 starter in this league. He lacks accuracy, especially on deep balls and is very inconsistent BUT if he were to go to a team like NYG or Minnesota where he has a great offensive mind running the show and hopefully can sit and learn behind Cousins or another seasoned vet for a year before being thrown I think he’s got the mental make up to succeed. He seems like a great kid, interviews really well and strong leader. I’m hoping he succeeds but the things he needs to fix (accuracy and inconsistency) are harder to envision than someone like Williams who just needs a good coach to teach him to stay in the pocket and take what the defense gives you. 

I will say, if I could place a bet in Vegas, like it or not, I’d bet over 5.5 QBs go in the first round

On 3/9/2024 at 11:56 AM, NeverOutNick said:

will say, if I could place a bet in Vegas, like it or not, I’d bet over 5.5 QBs go in the first round

Wow.  I find that surprising.  Penix and Nix in the first?   I would take the under, too much OL, CB and WR talent.  

The biggest false detractor about Williams is that he doesn't take layups.. or cannot 

Look at him at Oklahoma when he first took over the job... 

He is getting the ball out insanely fast.. he picks his spots and gets rid of it... Short game was very good

Going to USC where is defense was giving up 40 points a game literally made it impossible for him to play small ball... You can't play small ball when you have to score 45 a game

Not enough time

The game plan for Lincoln Riley and USC was for wide receivers to get down field.. and allow Caleb Williams to use his athleticism and pocket presence to buy time and make big plays... Because you can't go on 12 Play drives needing to score 45 points a night

He has shown at Oklahoma that he can have a quick trigger... The offense at USC was not predicated on that