Bills to add Ronald Curry as quarterbacks coach (updated)

Roundybout

46 minutes ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

A few Cook drops definitely stick out!

I meant more projecting Cook to the NFL before his rookie season, but…

Last year, Kamara caught 75/86 (~87% and by far highest of his career which averages 79%) for 466 yards over 13 games played (~6 catches & 36 yards per game & 6.6 yards per target). Cook caught 44/54 (~82%) for 445 yards over 17 games played (~3 catches & 26 yards per game & 7.3 yards per target). 

I think they are pretty similar with a slight edge to Kamara last year. With both scheme and age probably favoring Cook next year, I bet that small gap closes.

You have to hate when facts get in the way and ruin a bad argument 😉

7 hours ago, ngbills said:

Kamara yards per rec were on the low end of RB's. Most guys with similar targets are in the 8 yards per range while Kamara was 6 yards per. Cook had the same yardage on 30 less receptions. Sounds like we are going to even more behind the LOS and really short passes...

the percentage of passes that kamara caught flat footed and at the line of scrimmage as a 3rd option was maddening. 

he wasn’t getting wheels and whips and crafty screens on a lot of those targets. It was Chip block, slip through the line, wait for the check down and get clobbered by the mlb way too many times. 

2 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

This is an interesting hire.  I thought Shula would get the job.

im really hoping the two had some of those late night “if I were in charge” ***** talking sessions that revealed curry to be more exciting than Carmichael allowed

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Honestly don't know much about him. The Saints were an E-P team though so it is a schematic fit.

Is it really just the Parcells (offensive) tree that has spread the gospel of E-P since the 90s? 

Edited by Richard Noggin

2 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

Is it really just the Parcells (offensive) tree that has spread the gospel of E-P since the 90s? 

Basically, yes. The Manning offense had some E-P elements as well mixed in with some Air Coryell. 

But essentially it is the Parcells tree which produced Belichick, Coughlin and Payton and their various assistants thereafter. The only guy I can think of who ran it without working directly for any of those three is Jason Garrett. 

• Agree 1

That has a chance to be a really good hire...he has experience at both WR and QB and can help both groups understand where the others are coming from and what they are seeing on the field.

11 minutes ago, tomur67 said:

Some are talking about the play calling .  We know the OC does that. What does the quarterback coach do? Especially when you have a veteran, very talented quarterback.

Still got to drill technique. Still got to work with the QB on reads and progressions. Still got to be an extra pair of eyes on the ipad between series breaking down what they are seeing.

2 hours ago, tomur67 said:

Some are talking about the play calling .  We know the OC does that. What does the quarterback coach do? Especially when you have a veteran, very talented quarterback.

As I understand it, the QB coach breaks down film of the opposing team with the QBs looking for tendencies and weaknesses.  The QB coach also helps run drills and goes over this week's plays with the QBs (the entire playbook isn't in use every week).  So even if the QB is experienced, there's a lot to do before each game to prepare.  In the offseason, a QB coach will help 'install' the offense.  

It seems a bit weird to me but what QB coaches don't usually do (though there are exceptions) is coach QBs on biomechanics and how to throw the ball.  If a QB wants to work on that part of his game, he has to do it with a QB-whisperer in the off-season.  

I've heard coaches and players say that Brady is collaborative and takes suggestions and feedback from his players and coaches.   So, Curry will have some input on scheme and play calling.  

• Like (+1) 2

The saints offense was sneakily better than I expected in 2023...

14th overall in yards with 337 (Bills were 4th with 34/74.5)

11th overall in passing yards with 234.7 (Bills were 8th with 244.4 which dropped to an ugly 187.5 in the playoffs)

Saints also had 28 passing TDs, the Bills had 29

Saints were 9th in total offensive TDs with 44 (Bills were 6th with 54)

The stats are better than I expected from watching the games I watched.  

I agree with the people who keep saying some of this matter is less because he's not the one calling plays. But I think it does speak to his overall football knowledge and abilities that they're offense was better than you would anticipate from their record. 

QB coaches install the offense and work with the QB more hands on to break down film, read what the D is giving, and decide what to do in those looks.  Carr ain't Josh, and they had a pretty competent offense with Curry's hands helping steer.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.