2024 WR Draft Class

I know we all assume the Bills are looking for a boundary receiver with their top pick after losing Diggs and Davis...but I'm not entirely sure that has to be the case.

The Bills DO have two TEs that get should get a lot of snaps together, and one of the best things about rolling a 2 TE set is that none of your other skill players need to be on the ball in most alignments. Suddenly, multiple flanker/slot/pass-catching RBs is more viable. And then you carry 1 or 2 bigger receivers (Hollins and Shorter?) if  one of the TE comes off the field or gets injured...but that guy isn't gonna get a ton of snaps in a perfect world.

That's not to say a big body receiver wouldn't be nice, especially if they are still equally dangerous off the ball, but I don't think it's as important as grabbing a guy that is maybe a bit more limited overall but much better at what he does well.

In other words...if you think of Knox as the starting TE and Kincaid as the starting X/split end...it's not as dire. Hollins becomes a backup, and you're looking for a guy that could either push Knox to the bench OR a guy that could push Shakir/Samuel to the bench.

Edited by Mikey152
  • Like (+1) 1

If one wanted to play the game of putting the puzzle pieces together to make a guess at who the Bills might be targeting at WR you could look at what pro day Beane decided to attend on 3/20 this year. Texas, (Worthy and Mitchell) Ohio State (Harrison Jr), USC (Rice) and Alabama (Burton) had pro day on same day this year and Beane elected to attend Alabama pro day. There are a bunch of CBs, LBs, Edge and OT for Alabama that should be first or day two picks. But are we really going to draft a CB or an OT in round 1 where those players could be slotted to go? WR is obvious priority and it would have been easy for Beane just to attend Texas as there are 2 WRs to see and less obvious to figure out which one he prefers. However, he chose not to go to Texas which might point to Bills not targeting either Worthy or Mitchell. It might be nothing but it could be something of a clue as Beane has stated that he likes to see players in person to size them up and see how they interact with coaches and teammates. It is possible that Alabama just had more talent overall to see but I would think Beane would want to be at the Texas pro day if he was targeting Worthy/Mitchell because it would have to be in round 1 or at the top of round 2 and that is a premium asset. 

11 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I like that kid a lot.  Coached in a pro offense, able to to run the full route tree and speed for days.

The last guy we had a zoom interview with?  Kinciad.  So... Wilson at 28?  Or a trade down and wilson?

Just now, SoonerBillsFan said:

I like that kid a lot.  Coached in a pro offense, able to to run the full route tree and speed for days.

The last guy we had a zoom interview with?  Kinciad.  So... Wilson at 28?  Or a trade down and wilson?

WR ____ in the 1st   & Wilson in the 2nd  would be fine 

30 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I like him and I think he has some of the skills and the intangibles that Beane will like. Feels like an exclusive slot guy though which between Shakir, Samuel, and the big slot/TEs, I feel like there isn't much opportunity there.

On 4/12/2024 at 1:33 PM, Warriorspikes51 said:

yes because wanting to get an elite WR for your amazing QB is so horrid to imagine!!!

Nothing at all dictates that we keep the 2nd we got from Diggs trade. Beane is very likely to use that pick in a package to move up in Round 1 or 2 IMO.

Elite WR are great.  They win a lot of games in september and october.  

They have very little to do with winning championships.  Giving away an entire drafts worth of important picks is total insanity.

I 110% believe this team can win with 1 or 2 more good players at wr.  They clearly need an X wr to play outside and someone who can  make contested catches on the sideline would be great.  Not important enough to burn two drafts on however.

The same people dying to give away this year and next years draft for one of these top 10 wr will be the same ones complaining about the defense and depth of the overall team by the middle of the season.

Just let the draft come to you and take BPA.  There are plenty of wr in this draft.

34 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

Wilson screams Buffalo Bill to me, but I would say definitely a 2nd rounder to 3rd rounder. 

37 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

I don't think he runs routes well at all. 

8 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

He showed at the Senior Bowl that he has the movement skills to run good routes IMO but in actual games it felt like by far his biggest strength was more just utilizing his speed on crossers, posts, etc.

17 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

MHJ  and Wood says  "Yea he's a stud" 

I certainly would be thrilled with MHJ, but...

To me, Nabers is the dream get for Buffalo. His explosiveness, positional diversity, and run-after-catch are all elite. He fits what Beane recently described wanting in a WR to a "T".

Both guys are gonna be great pros, but for my money, Nabers is HIM.

9 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Another player I'd be good with us drafting then 😜

Just now, Logic said:

I certainly would be thrilled with MHJ, but...

To me, Nabers is the dream get for Buffalo. His explosiveness, positional diversity, and run-after-catch are all elite. He fits what Beane recently described wanting in a WR to a "T".

Both guys are gonna be great pros, but for my money, Nabers is HIM.

I agree, Nabers is awesome and his explosiveness is unreal.  I do have a slight concern with how he will pan out. 

Was caught carrying a gun last year without a permit. Charges were dropped on condition the police kept the gun.   

IMO, MHJ is a very high probability to be a perennial All-Pro with his talent, work ethic and attitude 

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

And just...we have Khalil Shakir. We have a proven commodity, in the building, to fill the role Pearsall would provide. 

If we are to take a flier on a guy in late second I'd rather they take a gamble on Polk because at the very least he fills a different role.

And if the Bills are passing on a WR at 28 or moving back I would absolutely look for Franklin, Mitchell, Worthy, McConkey, or Legette before Pearsall, easily.

This is the scenario that I was thinking of upstream when I talked about being open to after round 1.  There is no question in my mind that there are at least a dozen receivers who could help the Bills given the state of the receiver group.  They need someone to play the boundary for sure as all they currently have is a complete unknown in Justin Shorter, but they als need someone who gets open consistently since they lost that guy (Diggs).  They don’t have to solve both needs with one pick.

However, if you dismiss the mostly slot guys McConkey, Wilson, Pearsall, Corley, the receiver depth is shallower than the hype.

• Like (+1) 1