Hamlin officially wins PFWA Comeback Player of the Year

Roundybout

2 hours ago, Chaos said:

Joe Flacco got it right. 

haha.  Flacco is deserving also, and I wouldn’t be shocked if he wins the “actual” one in a couple weeks.

But on the “overcoming adversity” side of the coin, it doesn’t get any more of a slam dunk than Damar Hamlin.

1 hour ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Trouble is he's IS a "good" player. But that's likely his ceiling. Good.

Fans have 2 categories for players. They are either awesome or trash. A roster needs role players and Hamlin is a good role player. I don't think he would ever be a Pro Bowl level talent but he is good enough to be on a roster.

Look at it like this. There are 32 teams and I would estimate in total teams average 4 safeties per team. That's 128 players at the position league wide. There aren't 128 safeties better then Hamlin. 

Well, I didn’t say he was awesome or trash, I just said he wasn’t good and we’ll just agree to disagree on that front.

It really doesn’t matter if he’s better than 10,20 or 30 other back ups at his position,  it comes down to how many of those jobs are open and are they looking to fill them with a 2nd contract player as opposed to a cheaper rookie with upside.

1 minute ago, Let's Go Buffalo said:

I realize there are different opinions on this, but in my mind when you think that a young man is dead on the field, and then he actually plays football the very next season, it's hard to discount that accomplishment. 

Agree 100%.

I think it’s strange to hear all the strong opinions on this.   Does anyone really care who ends up winning this award, anyway?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

This is not personal, no doubt  Damar Hamlin is a stand up man. He has been blessed to resume his career and received a lot of recognition for not giving up after his near death experience. I’m sure there was an award they could given Damar for that achievement. It just isn’t fair to those who resuscitated their career and played at a HIGH LEVEL among their peers to not get their appropriate recognition. It’s indicative of the fake woke NFL, that runs itself on the misery of degenerate gamblers. 

• Disagree 1

2 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

It's time for his story to quietly fade into oblivion.   I firmly believe the Bills didn't cut him simply b/c of his situation last year.

Maybe he'll be cut this off-season.  

I’m sure that would make you happy.

7 minutes ago, RiotAct said:

Agree 100%.

I think it’s strange to hear all the strong opinions on this.   Does anyone really care who ends up winning this award, anyway?

I know! Bills fans are the best and worst fans sometimes. The way we eat our own is truly disgraceful.

Baker Mayfield deserved it but since it would have been a PR nightmare not selecting Damar Hamlin, they gave the real comeback player of the year "Most Improved" even though it was more a comeback to where he was in 2020 than an improvement. He returned to a level from 3 seasons ago & started all the games, just like 2020.  

Edited by Albany,n.y.

Bills had to keep him this yr. Would have been a locker room risk to cut him. Certainly PR. 

Bills will cut him and he’d be smart to take his :15 min fame and work it outside of NFL.  Good guy but not a great football player

Edited by Since1981

38 minutes ago, Rico said:

Maybe not, but it was the 1st year he looked like a real QB.

2019, he had a great passing year.  36 TDs.  Plus another 7 rushing.

It's the 13 wins that is flavoring the voting this year--and the fact that he survived a season.

1. The Bills kept him on the roster for something, the feel good award for the NFL to tout is something.
  2. He did do one relevant thing on the field this season, he was instrumental in "the fake punt" after all.
  3. Keeping him around this season qualified him for the NFL pension plan.

At the end of the day he was a player on a team, and it's probably impossible to come back any farther than near death on the field.  Let the guy have his full 15 min of fame (and his pension).

Edited by CodeMonkey

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.