How do you explain Diggs invisibility act

Coldfronts

6 hours ago, Neo said:

He’s an excellent number two receiver with an intolerable number one receiver attitude.  Who’d rely on him to excel in a super bowl?  Dante’s undiscovered Tenth Circle - those whose self admiration and compulsion to talk exceeds their ability to produce or provide insight.   Last thought.  He’s often defended, and his childish behavior excused, because he runs around and yells on the sideline.   What a competitor!   Being a competitor requires more than sullen days and weeks interrupted by occasional bursts of anger.   No one even looks at him during his fits.  Sayonara, Steffon.   I hear you believe  “you’re him.”  Hope that works out for you.

As to the question posed.  He’s slower and less shifty than he used to be and he drops footballs more often than he used to.

I do enjoy the tenth circle reference.

I did see Diggs do the shifty stuff with his feet last half of the season. Gotta be upper body injury since he struggles reaching for the ball. So yea I am saying injury has affected the plays called for him and his play in general

Can only guess at his mood swings.

For now , get him a better support grouping for 24-25 and see how he manages that.

7 hours ago, jahnyc said:

Who knows what Diggs is communicating to his agent and the Bills front office about his future with the Bills, but he is putting the Bills in a bind because I doubt the Bills will want to do a simple contract restructuring providing cap savings for the current year under current circumstances.  If there is a break-up between the Bills and Diggs, it seems the only real option would be a post-June 1st release designation, which would provide significant cap savings for the Bills.  Not sure a trade would work unless it happened after June 1st.

Trade can be designated as post June 1st. I think the Hill and Adams trades both were

On 2/2/2024 at 7:59 AM, Gman10 said:

Diggs seems to have lost "it" and there was the rumor of Diggs not being super happy as it is. Do you think its time to move on and look for someone more fitting?

Looks like this aged a bit better than ya'll thought. Even tho most of you freaked lol

I’m over Diggs TBH. He didn’t do squat for us the last two months of the season and was a no show in the playoffs again! I’m just sick of his drama. I appreciate what he did for 17 to elevate his career…but I think it’s time to move on. Problem is the contract they gave him makes it almost impossible. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, BillMafia716ix said:

I’m over Diggs TBH. He didn’t do squat for us the last two months of the season and was a no show in the playoffs again! I’m just sick of his drama. I appreciate what he did for 17 to elevate his career…but I think it’s time to move on. Problem is the contract they gave him makes it almost impossible. 

Be careful, I said this and everyone freaked on me lol

As someone pointed out, the freaky thing is that Diggs’ 2023 was a duplicate of his 2022 season - great first half, disappeared in the second half and the playoffs.  That fact doesn’t point to Diggs “aging out”.   Is it injuries, coincidence, something else?  Have no idea but 30 shouldn’t be the end of the road for an elite receiver.

• Agree 1

32 minutes ago, Gman10 said:

Be careful, I said this and everyone freaked on me lol

I mean he’s given clear indicators that he doesn’t want to be here. He skipped the beginning of mandatory camp in the spring, didn’t bother to speak to the media after the KC game after he played like crap and he’s suppose to be a captain. Then his comments at the pro bowl was another huge flag. All he had to say was “I’m happy to be here and I want to be a bill.” He didn’t. Because he doesn’t. His contract makes it tough but I don’t think he's worth the drama anymore. 

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, BillMafia716ix said:

I mean he’s given clear indicators that he doesn’t want to be here. He skipped the beginning of mandatory camp in the spring, didn’t bother to speak to the media after the KC game after he played like crap and he’s suppose to be a captain. Then his comments at the pro bowl was another huge flag. All he had to say was “I’m happy to be here and I want to be a bill.” He didn’t. Because he doesn’t. His contract makes it tough but I don’t think he's worth the drama anymore. 

I said the same thing lol. But I was met with backlash..

On 2/3/2024 at 7:18 PM, Warriorspikes51 said:

Trade can be designated as post June 1st. I think the Hill and Adams trades both were

Only a release can be designated 6/1  - each team has 2 such designations per year to use. A trade would have to happen 6/1 or later. 

Edited by BarleyNY

On 2/3/2024 at 9:45 AM, 3rdand12 said:

I do enjoy the tenth circle reference.

I did see Diggs do the shifty stuff with his feet last half of the season. Gotta be upper body injury since he struggles reaching for the ball. So yea I am saying injury has affected the plays called for him and his play in general

Can only guess at his mood swings.

For now , get him a better support grouping for 24-25 and see how he manages that.

It was definitely an upper body injury.  Seeing him try to get up during the Steeler game you could see it.  Ribs?...abdominal?

• Agree 1

Personally I’m finding his act kind of old & wouldn’t mind if he finds another landing spot.  As far as the drop off? I think it is probably age related. If we keep him he needs to accept a WR2 role, unfortunately I just don’t see that happening.

2021 his numbers were solid in the back half, the Bills had some weird games the back half of that year, the 41-15 Colts blowout, the super windy game against New England where they threw only 3 times, and the super rainy Falcons game where Josh threw a bunch of picks all come to mind as off games for the passing offense not related to Diggs.

2022 Diggs numbers took a dip but I think that was more so explained by teams realizing Gabe, Mac, Knox and company were not going to burn them in single coverage so teams just double-covered Diggs all day. Once again not a Diggs performance issue so to speak. 

2023's performance is on Diggs as he just simply did not look like "himself" and I think there probably was some sort of injury explanation to it. But I am very cautious with how much Diggs has left in the tank. He will be 31 next season and WR's usually tend to naturally fall off around 32/33 so at best Diggs maybe has 1-2 "elite" years left certainly no more than 3. So the Bills have to get additional long term WR help to get an heir apparent for Diggs. 

• Like (+1) 1

• 1 month later...
On 2/2/2024 at 7:59 AM, Gman10 said:

Diggs seems to have lost "it" and there was the rumor of Diggs not being super happy as it is. Do you think its time to move on and look for someone more fitting?

Well well well.....

• Like (+1) 1

Gets his 1000 yards and goes into cruise control. Also this past season Dorsey really forced things to him, part of the reason the offense was anemic then. Brady took over and things went to Cook and Kincaid.