Stefon Diggs Trade Proposal (Hypothetical)

SCBills

1 hour ago, SCBills said:

IF the Bills are able to maneuver around his cap hit and someone offers a Second Round Pick.  Do you take it?

Where there's a will, there's a way and I think it's a no-brainer to trade him at this point if not for the dead cap.  I was on his side over the summer, but he's just negative energy at this point.  Weird vibes and doesn't back it up on the field.  Gets shut down, again, by Kansas City.  Fumbles on the first play.  Drops a 65 yard bomb in the 4th Quarter from Allen and makes a gesture intimating that it was on Allen.

I'm over it. 

I'd rather give Allen a couple Day 1/Day 2 Wide Receivers to go with Kincaid, Knox, Shakir and Cook at this point.  

The dead cap hit might make this completely impossible, but if the Bills can get creative, I think we're better off.  The relationship just seems like it's run it's course. 

There is a no trade clause in his contract because of his restructure.

1 hour ago, SCBills said:

IF the Bills are able to maneuver around his cap hit and someone offers a Second Round Pick.  Do you take it?

Where there's a will, there's a way and I think it's a no-brainer to trade him at this point if not for the dead cap.  I was on his side over the summer, but he's just negative energy at this point.  Weird vibes and doesn't back it up on the field.  Gets shut down, again, by Kansas City.  Fumbles on the first play.  Drops a 65 yard bomb in the 4th Quarter from Allen and makes a gesture intimating that it was on Allen.

I'm over it. 

I'd rather give Allen a couple Day 1/Day 2 Wide Receivers to go with Kincaid, Knox, Shakir and Cook at this point.  

The dead cap hit might make this completely impossible, but if the Bills can get creative, I think we're better off.  The relationship just seems like it's run it's course. 

I'm SO SICK AND TIRED of the Diggs narrative!! He dropped a pass that he slightly had to wait for and it bounced off his arm after being contested. WHY ISN'T THERE MORE OF A NARRATIVE ON DAWSON KNOX!! What has he contributed to this offense in recent history?? We all know that teams focuses on ways to stop Diggs from having big games. We all know that Diggs is that guy we're looking at to keep drives alive from 3rd and 6 to beyond. WHERE IS KNOX!! He's one of the highest paid offensive players on the roster. Why hasn't he progressed to at least be a poor man's Kittle or Kelce? Our rookie TE has outperformed him, IMO. You guys are trying to get rid of a known commodity to Josh and this offense. Why not try to get rid of this albatross of a contract and Dawson Knox? 

1 hour ago, dma0034 said:

I wish I could go bump the thread after his 1st year here where I said trading for him was a mistake and Justin Jefferson would have been way better and everyone jumped all over me. I don't think he is a cancer. I don't think he is done. I think either he had an injury he played through or didn't like Joe Brady or the playcalling, I'm not sure what happened but once Dorsey was gone Diggs fire seem to be gone. It's just so odd. He isn't going anywhere next year but the Bills need to draft 2 WRs in the draft. Probably on the 1st round and 2nd round. They need a #2 next year and a #1 and #3 the year after (assuming Shakir becomes the #2 after next year)

I mean its hard to argue both teams did not win that trade.  Sure if you knew what Jefferson would become its easy but that is an unknown rookie and the Bills got Allen to explode with Diggs which helped Allen's development I think.

For what it is worth.  Diggs has the most cathces in the NFL over the last 4 years and 4th in receiving touchdowns.  Both of those ahead of Jeffereson.  Jefferson has more yards.   If you want to point to a mistake it might be the last time they redid his contract with several years left.

https://www.statmuse.com/nfl/ask/nfl-most-receptions-in-the-last-4-years-for-a-player

• Agree 1

We'd have to pay to get another team to take Diggs' contract that is far above his level of play. I see a hypothetical trade like:

Diggs + 2024 4th + 2025 4th for 2025 7th

Not sure if we should make that trade or just bump Diggs down the depth chart

2 hours ago, SCBills said:

I'm over it. 

lmao

image.png

2 hours ago, Big Turk said:

He will put up another 1000 yard+ season next year here. Who do you plan on replacing him with? Signing Mike Evans to a $25 million dollar a year contract?

Yeah, Diggs will probably stay a Bill next season and he’ll probably get 1000+ yards. I went over this already (not sure if it was this thread), but I will again.

A couple seasons ago Diggs was a top 4 WR. In the 2022 season he was a top 8 WR. This past season it’s more like top 16 or, more comfortably, top 24. That’s still pretty damn good. He turns 31 in November and that’s the cliff (give or take) for most WRs. I would still expect Diggs to be a top 32 WR next season and if we want to keep him for that season for $18.8M additional cash, then fine. But by 2025 it is very doubtful that his production will warrant his contract. So the question likely is only about 2024. 

Trading Diggs would mean a reboot for 2024. In that case we’d also part ways with Tre and Von, using our two 6/1 designations when we cut them. So the move to replace them would be via the draft or trade (younger WR) rather than an older vet (unless one came cheap. The contracts of Von and Diggs were written with the intent of moving on from both after 2024. They could move it up to this off-season if they felt it was better. 

4 hours ago, boyst said:

with these hypotheticals...

trade McDermott to Carolina for their 2nd this year, 1st next year.

That is an interesting thought exercise.  If the replacement is, say, Bill Belichick, … interesting thought exercise. 

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

The one thing I will say is just 1 year ago Diggs had absolutely no problem throwing Josh under the bus. Now that the shoe is on the other foot you

don’t see Allen saying boy Steph really sucked today. 

The thing is, I don't trust Diggs to start his antics. He deleted his IG for now, but just give it a week or so before the cryptic stuff starts.

6 hours ago, SCBills said:

The "this close" hand gesture to Allen on that bomb was such a clown move.

That's a "pat your chest , my bad" gesture.  

I was going to mention that. I didn't remember seeing that in real time, but saw the picture on Twitter. Can he ever take accountability??

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.