The Million-Dollar Question Sticking in My Mind

Roundybout

1 hour ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Yes, so what did the Bills offense do differently to adjust in Q4?

Adjusted … threw it some, batted ball, a drop,  a misread, special team (Bass) let down.

Three pt game - couple missed plays is the difference in a game where your D COULDN’T stop a nose bleed. 

Not sure what you were watching or want. KC changed to slow up the run and was still playing not to get beat deep.  JA chucking and going all hero ball wasn’t the answer…..

Bills O pretty much dominated offensively stat wise, KC dominated in efficiency vs a Mash Unit D.  

THIS ISNT and WASNT an offensive issue.  Last necessitated a perfectly executed game, we didn’t get it.

Im not  sure what you think was the proper scheme here offensively.

This team is too old in the back 7, too small at the LB spots (both contribute to injuries) & needs an upgrade at the WR spot.  Unfortunately looking down the barrel of a $50M cap isn’t great. 

Edited by PayDaBill$

18 minutes ago, PayDaBill$ said:

Adjusted … threw it some, batted ball, a drop,  a misread, special team (Bass) let down.

Three pt game - couple missed plays is the difference in a game where your D COULDN’T stop a nose bleed. 

Not sure what you were watching or want. KC changed to slow up the run and was still playing not to get beat deep.  JA chucking and going all hero ball wasn’t the answer…..

Bills O pretty much dominated offensively stat wise, KC dominated in efficiency vs a Mash Unit D.  

THIS ISNT and WASNT an offensive issue.  

Im not  sure what you think was the proper scheme here offensively.

This team is too old in the back 7, too small at the LB spots & needs an upgrade at the WR spot.  Unfortunately looking down the barrel of a $50M cap isn’t great. 

2nd Half Offense

Drive 1   Good 8 minute drive ending with TD

This is where the good ended

Drive 2 and 3    3 and out

Drive 4    Long drive down to 26 yard line, but even if kick were made still close to 2 minutes left for KC.  While they managed to get to the KC 26 it wasn't easy getting there.  Run game was totally stopped, he did start throwing to Kincaid again which was good. But leaving Bass with a 44 yard kick in cold temps with stiff winds wasn't an easy kick to make so wouldn't cal this a great drive either.

So if you feel this showcases a good offensive performance, think you and I have a big difference between good.  4th quarter when it mattered the most the offense was pretty bad overall.  Agree if you look at the stats, they look pretty good.  Funny part about the stats too if you looked at Cooks average yards per carry, every time he touched the ball after the Bills TD that got them to 24 points, it kept going lower.  He finished the game at 3/4 YPC, one time it was around 6YPC I think I saw.

What should they do differently, stop running on 1st downs for no gain leaving them with 2nd and 3rd and long. If their game plan was get a high time of possession which don't disagree with to keep KC off the field, why is Allen throwing all these long passes instead of taking check downs?

If the concern is the defense isn't going to be able to stop them which you've agreed with, great a high time of possession plan is good, but then need to keep scoring which they didn't. 

No idea what the answer is but I agree. I was watching a YouTube video the other day of the JA's first 200 touchdowns, and it was striking how easy we used to make the red zone look under Daboll in a way we don't really seem to see anymore

4 hours ago, Roundybout said:

While walking down Southwestern Boulevard to my car in the gloom and cold last night, the following question stuck in my head:

Why is it so goddamn hard for our offense to make a single play?

Why does Josh have to kill himself for a first down? Why does he have to make pinpoint throws across his body for touchdowns? Why is every receiver covered so easily? 

I take a look at other games, like the Detroit game, and I see playmakers schemed open with ease. Goff is an alright quarterback but he’s helped by guys who are easily open on their own. 

I don’t know whether it’s scheme or talent or both, but it shouldn’t be so difficult to just sustain a drive. 

Case in point, we STILL cannot run a screen to save our lives. Brady kept dialing up screens to Kincaid or Diggs that would gain a few, but never a back-breaking 25 yard catch-and-run. 

Or, Josh throwing a nice ball over the middle to Cook. Would have been an easy touchdown, but it was dropped. Why does he have to truck 6 defenders just to keep a drive alive? 

Why is it so hard for us? 

Minus the vital drops the offense played a very good game against one of the best defenses in the game.

You must have watched a different game if you say, Why is it so goddamn hard for our offense to make a single play?

They need two great receivers and a tough, every down physical back on offense and will compete next year for a championship.

13 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

2nd Half Offense

Drive 1   Good 8 minute drive ending with TD

This is where the good ended

Drive 2 and 3    3 and out

Drive 4    Long drive down to 26 yard line, but even if kick were made still close to 2 minutes left for KC.  While they managed to get to the KC 26 it wasn't easy getting there.  Run game was totally stopped, he did start throwing to Kincaid again which was good. But leaving Bass with a 44 yard kick in cold temps with stiff winds wasn't an easy kick to make so wouldn't cal this a great drive either.

So if you feel this showcases a good offensive performance, think you and I have a big difference between good.  4th quarter when it mattered the most the offense was pretty bad overall.  Agree if you look at the stats, they look pretty good.  Funny part about the stats too if you looked at Cooks average yards per carry, every time he touched the ball after the Bills TD that got them to 24 points, it kept going lower.  He finished the game at 3/4 YPC, one time it was around 6YPC I think I saw.

What should they do differently, stop running on 1st downs for no gain leaving them with 2nd and 3rd and long. If their game plan was get a high time of possession which don't disagree with to keep KC off the field, why is Allen throwing all these long passes instead of taking check downs?

If the concern is the defense isn't going to be able to stop them which you've agreed with, great a high time of possession plan is good, but then need to keep scoring which they didn't. 

You basically reiterated what I stated. KC changed up D, we had 2 unproductive drives and a failed kick. With a D that repeatedly shown they couldn’t stop KC all game you needed a perfect game, we didn’t get it.

KC adjusted to stopping the run and was still defending deep.  Hero ball Josh wasn’t going to work. Best case he goes underneath but I think they were kill the clock mode. Unfortunately at that point the run had been shut down.

But again you had a D that couldn’t stop KC and we weren’t going to be competing in a horse raise especially with the deep ball taken away. 

6 minutes ago, PayDaBill$ said:

You basically reiterated what I stated. KC changed up D, we had 2 unproductive drives and a failed kick. With a D that repeatedly shown they couldn’t stop KC all game you needed a perfect game, we didn’t get it.

KC adjusted to stopping the run and was still defending deep.  Hero ball Josh wasn’t going to work. Best case he goes underneath but I think they were kill the clock mode. Unfortunately at that point the run had been shut down.

But again you had a D that couldn’t stop KC and we weren’t going to be competing in a horse raise especially with the deep ball taken away. 

Agree with everything you say.   But how is it also good offense that scores 7 second half points?  The offense needed to compete in the horse race, but didn't/couldn't. 

I'm not blaming the offense, but wouldn't give them credit for a good game either.  Too much of the same of what they did all year.  But against a team as good as KC, needed more particularly with all the injuries.

5 hours ago, peterpan said:

We’ve completely ignored the offensive side of the ball for 3-4 years.  We have scrubs playing like scrubs.

meanwhiles McD actually has scrubs playing great on D.  

it’s time to invest all out in the offense and let McD coach the scrubs up.

we need 3 new WRs another RB and a better offensive coach. We don’t need high priced DEs LBs or CBs who can’t sack tackle or cover any better than the late rounders Beane brings in.

Better take Josh to Neverland with you my friend. We need him to never age. 

34 minutes ago, JustHewIt said:

No idea what the answer is but I agree. I was watching a YouTube video the other day of the JA's first 200 touchdowns, and it was striking how easy we used to make the red zone look under Daboll in a way we don't really seem to see anymore

Daboll was a wizard in the red zone. Can’t think of the last time we tried an end around or reverse when we get down there

5 hours ago, peterpan said:

We’ve completely ignored the offensive side of the ball for 3-4 years.  We have scrubs playing like scrubs.

meanwhiles McD actually has scrubs playing great on D.  

it’s time to invest all out in the offense and let McD coach the scrubs up.

we need 3 new WRs another RB and a better offensive coach. We don’t need high priced DEs LBs or CBs who can’t sack tackle or cover any better than the late rounders Beane brings in.

We brought in a ton of WRs, drafted a TE round 1, took Oline round 2, brought in a starter on the Oline via FA….how did we ignore the offense? The offense is excellent. The problem is anytime we face a real Qb, we can’t get off the field. Then it becomes a zero margin game for the offense. That’s been our problem since the Texans playoff loss. That’s the issue. It’s never the offense. The offense is why we are anything.

3 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Agree with everything you say.   But how is it also good offense that scores 7 second half points?  The offense needed to compete in the horse race, but didn't/couldn't. 

I'm not blaming the offense, but wouldn't give them credit for a good game either.  Too much of the same of what they did all year.  But against a team as good as KC, needed more particularly with all the injuries.

What your not grasping is that the offense couldn’t afford to get in a horse race given the Defense.  This isn’t even a 3 pt game if we play JA hero ball. I guarantee we would have lost that game by double digits.

1 hour ago, PayDaBill$ said:

What your not grasping is that the offense couldn’t afford to get in a horse race given the Defense.  This isn’t even a 3 pt game if we play JA hero ball. I guarantee we would have lost that game by double digits.

Yes they could have, first two times KC had ball they kicked a FG.  Bills meanwhile had TD and FG. with two TD's they'd have been up by 4.  After that Bills have 4 drives stopped 2 with punts, 1 turned over on downs, and missed FG.  For KC excluding kneel downs had one punt and one fumble.

So 4 more times the Bills could have scored, but didn't as opposed to 2 for KC.  They didn't need a horse race, they just needed to score slow and steady if that was their game plan.  Given the defense, they needed to score more. 

Their offense was OK, but to say there were no problems with it when had two 3 and outs and missed FG in 2nd half.

Seems what you don't seem to be grasping is the meaning of the word good!!

• Eyeroll 1

Scheming pass catchers open has not been a strong point for our latest  OCs, Brady although better than Dorsey at using Dorsey’s play book didn’t seem to insert plays that did just that, it can’t be that hard to do, being that so many other OCs do it, is it the OC or is it the talent he has to work with????

10 hours ago, PayDaBill$ said:

I think we saw the outcome of a scrub D last night. Last night wasn’t an offense problem!

Yes in part it was. 24 points was never going to be enough in the playoffs against the chiefs. The defense although a terrible performance did enough to win.

• Vomit 1

5 hours ago, JustHewIt said:

Those 2 seasons the offense was so much fun to watch. They needed more of a run game for the postseason brand of football but the passing game was so much better. 

I used to actually not mind at all, sometimes even love when we'd get holding or other penalties to make it 2nd and 20 or 2nd and 25 just because we could watch Josh sling it. 

Things have just been different, harder over the last season and a half or so. 

Edited by HomeskillitMoorman

I'm going to give an answer that many will not like.

The answer is we're spoiled. We expect a touchdown on every drive. We compare Josh to Mahomes and act offended when he doesn't make every throw effortlessly.

There are games that we could not be stopped. Those definitely exist. 

There are games that KC can be stopped. Same for Detroit and whichever team/game you want to cherry pick.

361 yards for KC, 368 yards for Buffalo. We just had a few bad drops and KC made big plays when they had to. Both teams are lacking pass catching talent. Theirs just made the big plays that we didn't.

End of story. Not more complicated than that.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.