So we're firing McD, right?

Heavy Kevi

Should the Bills Fire McDermott?  

330 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Bills Fire McDermott?

• Yep. Too many bad losses and bad coaching in the playoffs
    • Heck No. Playoffs year after year, and we're one of the best teams on NFL

5 hours ago, Heavy Kevi said:

I know Josh has had down times, but when it matters he shows up. Yet again Josh turns in a gutsy performance in the playoffs and we still effing lose the game.

Obviously this has been a common theme throughout the last several years, with Josh being overall unbelievably good in playoffs only to get sent home.

This cycle has too many good coaches available to keep this guy McD around any longer.

We desperately need to make the switch. We needed to last year, maybe even the year before; but the reality here is that McD is COOKED

Why zero reasons given for your contention, beyond the loss of the game?

Why, after this game, is this so cemented in your head?

Is it because of anything specific to this game, his coaching in it, or more based on previous ideas and your hatred for him in general?

31 minutes ago, Gunsgoodtime said:

I have saw enough of the McDermott experience with one of the best qbs to ever play the game.  If we are being honest, he should have no less than 1 SB win.  He is waisting a HOF talent qb and I can not understand how some of you are ok with this to continue to happen.  You do realize everyone in the league says this team would be garbage without Josh Allen?  That's because the Coaches blow

You say, "I have saw enough of the McDermott experience" but don't tell us what it was about this game that added to your ideas--what are they? What 'have you saw' in this game?

Edited by Mister Defense

5 hours ago, ILBillsfan said:

i seen small changes afte the Bye but I'm not going to disagree I wanted him fired soon as we lost the 13s game and knowing he changed the short kick to thru the ez and took over the D play calling that allowed KC to get in FG position.....ST coodinator should of been fired after the 12m on the field Denver game and the D gave up how many leads late in the fourth......i am fine with the change this year just not going to happen Pegula's don't have that mindset

Post article he actually started going for it on 4th down again. If just to prove it wrong. 

1 minute ago, newcam2012 said:

I'm not sure why this concept is so hard for Bills fans to understand. 

McD isn't the answer to progress this team to a SB. How in the world people can't see it is unfathomable. 

Next year the talk of the media will be how the Bills can't get it done. Same with the Cowboys. 

Allen is the defining reason why the Bills should have reached at least one SB. 

Because some people are afraid of success I guess and are just happy to see the Bills on national TV.  I'd like to see a Super Bowl win at some point in my life and have seen enough to know McDermott will not deliver.  I was convinced after the 13 seconds game and since then there has just been a lot more evidence piling on.  Of course I was happy they won the division and beat Pitt last week.  But that was just to dig them out of the huge hole McDermott's team building philosophy and in game blunders put them in.  For me, it was either SB victory or the unemployment line for McDermott.  I had seen enough. 

I'm not sure how much more evidence is needed to replace McDermott.  Peterman, Houston playoff, wimpy AFCCG plan, 13 seconds, Denver game, Mac Jones 4 incompletions for the entire game, and today it was ultimately kicking the FG at the end of the game.  Why is 4th and 8 an insurmountable obstacle?  We have Josh Freaking Allen.  They needed 24 feet for a first down, just a little more than the width of the room I'm currently sitting in.  You kick a FG there and you hand the game to Mahomes.  When he said he learned his lesson after the AFCCG and needed to be more aggressive he again failed at a critical moment.  He played to lose again and make no mistake - even if Bass makes that kick they were losing.  The D couldn't stop them all game and McDermott said as much as his reason to go for the fake punt.  Yet at the final last grasp to stay in the game his idea was to tie the game, handing the ball back to Mahomes with plenty of time for them to win.   You pay Josh Allen 1/4 of $B dollars to win these games.  Put the ball in his hands.  

I don't hate the man, I respect the heck of a job he did to get the franchise to this point.  Without McDermott and Daboll, Allen could have turned into Rosen or Darnold but they groomed him into the best player this franchise has ever had and will ever have.  And that's great but as I see many players on this team reach new heights of their abilities, I have not seen McDermott grow much at all.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

Philly D got shredded in the SB. 

Name a dominate defense this year. 

You think KCs defense won them the game? 

Sure defense is important. You really can't win it all on offense alone. That's just not sustainable. So defense has to be emphasized too. However, this is a QB driven league with show casing offensive talent. 

Defenses can no longer bump and run WRs, can't hit the QB, QBs can avoid sacks by throwing the ball away, and you can't hit a WR going up to make a catch. There is no way a defense can be elite under these conditions. 

Today's modern day defenses are no longer elite. They are mostly bend but don't break. Have very good red zone efficiency and produce turnovers. 

The days of the Bears elite D, Ravens, Pitt, etc... are long gone. You will never see defenses totally taking over a game and winning it all. 

Football has changed. 

Yes, the difference is that the top defenses now aren’t the 2000 Ravens. The Chiefs are the only team in recent memory that has won a SB with a defense ranked lower than 5. (without checking)

Rams #1

Bucs #1

Remaining teams this year:

KC #3 or 4

Ravens #1

49ers #2

Your probably can’t be worse than #8 and win a SB. If #8 is what you’d call serviceable, then I agree with you. You’re not winning with the #15 ranked defense unless they drastically improve in the playoffs like the Chiefs did last year.

Edited by Governor
  • Agree 1

30 minutes ago, Gunsgoodtime said:

I have saw enough of the McDermott experience with one of the best qbs to ever play the game.  If we are being honest, he should have no less than 1 SB win.  He is waisting a HOF talent qb and I can not understand how some of you are ok with this to continue to happen.  You do realize everyone in the league says this team would be garbage without Josh Allen?  That's because the Coaches blow

We are the Carolina Panthers with a better Cam Newton. Same overrated guy calling defensive plays. That team was absolute garbage that had a miracle run that got McD and Beane hired. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Mister Defense said:

Why zero reasons given for your contention, beyond the loss of the game?

Why, after this game, is this so cemented in your head?

Is it because of anything specific to this game, his coaching in it, or more based on previous ideas and your hatred for him in general?

You say, "I have saw enough of the McDermott experience" but don't tell us what it was about this game that added to your ideas--what are they?

Should I elaborate and break down every post season loss for the last 4byears or did you watch them?  Are you OK with Josh Allen as your qb and you have not even sniffed a SB?

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Gunsgoodtime said:

Should I elaborate and break down every post season loss for the last 4byears or did you watch them?  Are you OK with Josh Allen as your qb and you have not even sniffed a SB?

So you have zero to say about his coaching in this loss? It seems that you'd have a several facts, observations, about this game to call for his firing after this game--but you have zero?? None in your OP and none in your response to me.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Governor said:

Yes, the difference is that the top defenses now aren’t the 2000 Ravens. The Chiefs are the only team in recent memory that has won a SB with a defense ranked lower than 5. (without checking)

Rams #1

Bucs #1

Remaining teams this year:

KC #3 or 4

Ravens #1

49ers #2

Your probably can’t be worse than #8 and win a SB. If #8 is what you’d call serviceable, then I agree with you. You’re not winning with the #15 ranked defense.

I haven't looked at the stats but it seems like you know them well.

Wondering conversely what are the offensive stat ratings of the recent SB winners? 

I suspect most have a top flight offense like top 5 no less than top 10. 

Also, how many of the super bowl winner and runners up have what most consider an elite QB. I'd bet almost none in this modern era would be mediocre. Foles comes to mind. 

6 hours ago, BillsFan130 said:

That part isn't on McD.

But what about the defence?

Only reason there wasn't 40 plus points against his defence was because the bills offence controlled the clock.

It IS on Mcdermott though... tbass has been terrible alllllll seassssoonnnnn why did we pay this guy so much money and why oh why didnt we can him snd hire a guy off the street mid season?

1 minute ago, newcam2012 said:

I haven't looked at the stats but it seems like you know them well.

Wondering conversely what are the offensive stat ratings of the recent SB winners? 

I suspect most have a top flight offense like top 5 no less than top 10. 

Also, how many of the super bowl winner and runners up have what most consider an elite QB. I'd bet almost none in this modern era would be mediocre. Foles comes to mind. 

I think the Bucs are the only team that was ranked poorly. They didn’t get going until late so they probably weren’t top 10.

All of the rest had Top 10 offenses except for the 49ers I’m guessing? 

• Thank you (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Mister Defense said:

So you have zero to say about his coaching in this loss? It seems that you'd have a several facts, observations, about this game to call for his firing after this game--but you have zero?? None in your OP and none in your response to me.

We allowed nearly a first down per play. He has one of the worst divisional round records in NFL history. Would you not expect an Allen led Bills team to get out of the wild card round most years? 

20 minutes ago, Blazman11 said:

Because some people are afraid of success I guess and are just happy to see the Bills on national TV.  I'd like to see a Super Bowl win at some point in my life and have seen enough to know McDermott will not deliver.  I was convinced after the 13 seconds game and since then there has just been a lot more evidence piling on.  Of course I was happy they won the division and beat Pitt last week.  But that was just to dig them out of the huge hole McDermott's team building philosophy and in game blunders put them in.  For me, it was either SB victory or the unemployment line for McDermott.  I had seen enough. 

I'm not sure how much more evidence is needed to replace McDermott.  Peterman, Houston playoff, wimpy AFCCG plan, 13 seconds, Denver game, Mac Jones 4 incompletions for the entire game, and today it was ultimately kicking the FG at the end of the game.  Why is 4th and 8 an insurmountable obstacle?  We have Josh Freaking Allen.  They needed 24 feet for a first down, just a little more than the width of the room I'm currently sitting in.  You kick a FG there and you hand the game to Mahomes.  When he said he learned his lesson after the AFCCG and needed to be more aggressive he again failed at a critical moment.  He played to lose again and make no mistake - even if Bass makes that kick they were losing.  The D couldn't stop them all game and McDermott said as much as his reason to go for the fake punt.  Yet at the final last grasp to stay in the game his idea was to tie the game, handing the ball back to Mahomes with plenty of time for them to win.   You pay Josh Allen 1/4 of $B dollars to win these games.  Put the ball in his hands.  

I don't hate the man, I respect the heck of a job he did to get the franchise to this point.  Without McDermott and Daboll, Allen could have turned into Rosen or Darnold but they groomed him into the best player this franchise has ever had and will ever have.  And that's great but as I see many players on this team reach new heights of their abilities, I have not seen McDermott grow much at all.  

Very nice post. I agree with the vast majority of your statements. You are especially spot on when it comes to McD. Zero growth when it comes playoff time. No confidence he can lead the Bills to a SB. 

For me it wasn't SB or bust. Maybe it should have been. Probably should be when your in year 6 or 7 of Allen. Talk about missed opportunities. Understatement of the year. Personally, I would have been ok with them going to Baltimore and losing a tough game. Going to the AFC championship game vs what been the best team in the AFC would have been not the worst loss to swallow. Ultimately it's not the goal but I likely would have seen it as progress. Maybe I'm lying to myself. A SB appearance would have been fantastic and a clear successful season. 

I agree with giving Allen a chance to win the game. However, I'm in disagreement with going for it on 4th and 8. It's kind of pick your poison. I think the chances of converting the 4th down was very slim. Interesting if there's a math equation or analytics that could give a clear picture. Taking into account the probability of making a 4th and 8th while taking into consideration make the FG while computing the chances of Mahomes leading the Chiefs to a game winning FG or TD. Pretty fascinating information here. 

I digress, while watching it live I asked myself are the Bills in 4 down territory? Truthfully, I didn't know the answer until I saw the play calling. I think the Bills could have been more prudent and tried to make a more manageable 4th and 2 or 3. It's all arm chair QBing  here. I think your thoughts process absolutely applies here in a shorter more manageable 4th down. 

I was fine with trying to convert the FG. In my mind, I felt like the game was already lost make or missed. There's no way any Bills' fan was confident that the D could stop Mahomes and company. However, lots of things can happen. A fumble, tipped ball for an int, strip sack, etc...in essence, praying for a miracle similar to the one the Bills received minutes before. 

I don't know how this team moves forward with McD as the coach. His message has to be getting stale. The players belief in him has to be diminishing. Heck, the coach himself is probably lacking confidence. When is enough enough? 

Running it back with a poor playoff coach who has shown an uncanny ability to lose divisional games with the top 3 QB in the league hardly inspires hope and optimism. 

Fans should be knocking on the Pegula's door begging for a coaching change. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Avisan said:

Yeah no, I was mentally begging him the entire time to take the Diggs crosser, it's the right call there.  If you take the endzone strike there, it's gotta be perfect.  It's a tough throw, despite our QB being good enough to make it look easy most of the time.

Still thrilled to have him as our QB.  We were very close to pulling it off.  Just couldn't quite come up with all of the plays when we needed them.

I was begging too (but verbally during the play live) knowing it's a probable first down, we're in the red zone, and that clock keeps rolling.  I knew our skeleton crew defense wasn't stopping Mahomes from a game winning TD so I thought our only chance to win was to bleed that clock down and score a TD under 30 seconds.  The "what if" he checked it down to Diggs is the equivalent to "what if" they squib kicked it during 13 seconds to me. 

1 hour ago, newcam2012 said:

Philly D got shredded in the SB. 

Name a dominate defense this year. 

You think KCs defense won them the game? 

Sure defense is important. You really can't win it all on offense alone. That's just not sustainable. So defense has to be emphasized too. However, this is a QB driven league with show casing offensive talent. 

Defenses can no longer bump and run WRs, can't hit the QB, QBs can avoid sacks by throwing the ball away, and you can't hit a WR going up to make a catch. There is no way a defense can be elite under these conditions. 

Today's modern day defenses are no longer elite. They are mostly bend but don't break. Have very good red zone efficiency and produce turnovers. 

The days of the Bears elite D, Ravens, Pitt, etc... are long gone. You will never see defenses totally taking over a game and winning it all. 

Football has changed. 

I think our D lost the game. Got nothing to do with KCs D, it’s on our D and our defensive minded coach that keeps letting them down in playoffs. 

• Agree 4

I doubt he will be fired.

Should he? Got them to the divisional round, but lost again.  Called a heck of a defense this season.

The only way I’d move on is if we knew we had Harbaugh in the bag.  Feel he is the best candidate out there as a replacement.  1.  It ain’t happening. 2. Harbaugh may be posturing to get as much from Michigan as he can.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.