So we're firing McD, right?

Heavy Kevi

Should the Bills Fire McDermott?  

330 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Bills Fire McDermott?

• Yep. Too many bad losses and bad coaching in the playoffs
    • Heck No. Playoffs year after year, and we're one of the best teams on NFL

Just now, DapperCam said:

Asking Allen to dink and dunk down the field for 8 minute drives, just so your sieve defense doesn’t get exposed is lunacy.

Is that what “complementary football” is?

It’s absolutely ridiculous what he’s being asked to do to mask an incompetent defensive coach.

• Agree 2

17 minutes ago, Avisan said:

This is nonsense.  Did Brady not have a killer instinct because he killed you 6-7 yards at a time?

Bill Belicheck let Tom Brady be Tom Brady and he surely had killer instinct.  McDermott wants to force our world class QB into a box “because that’s how you win in this league” despite us watching everyone else win in the playoffs in other ways.  With 10 minutes in the NFL is an eternity.  Yet with 10 minutes left in the 4th we decided we were either going to put it all on one drive.  No pressure or anything.

As an FYI Brady would have taken what you gave him.  Whether that was scoring with 8 minutes left or with 4.  Because he trusted his coach and his defense.

17 minutes ago, Governor said:

It isn’t just the Chiefs. He can’t beat the Bengals either. He’s the redheaded stepchild to all of the main contenders.

The Bengals loss was like a guaranteed ass whipping, and they delivered.  I'm personally done with the Mcd experiment.  I know he will be back next year, bit that don't mean he should be

• Agree 1

How is this ship sailing?  Josh Allen is not Benjamin Button, get the Defensive coach out of Buffalo.

9 minutes ago, Gunsgoodtime said:

The Bengals loss was like a guaranteed ass whipping, and they delivered.  I'm personally done with the Mcd experiment.  I know he will be back next year, bit that don't mean he should be

Will be right back for another Mcd ass whipping 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Jerboski said:

Why are they morons? Sean continues to lose big playoff games, he wasn’t great for half of this season as well…. What are we talking about here?

By your standards, every coach that did not advance their team to the conference championship should be fired.

This loss sucks.  I am as sick of losing to that punk Mahomes in the playoffs just like all of the Bills Mafia.  I just believe that McDermott is one of the best head coaches in our team's history.

It is absurd to call for the head coach to be fired after every loss.

What makes you think we will find a better coach if we do replace McDermott?

McDermott has us in the playoffs consistently.  The Bills are in the national spotlight.  And they are considered one of the top teams in the NFL each year.

You ignore all the successes McDermott has had with his time in Buffalo.

The Bills are not firing McDermott after this season.  With all the defensive injuries he has had to deal with, and beating several playoff teams during their 6 game winning streak.   This may be his best coaching season.

Also, name me a team that consistently beats the Chiefs in the playoffs?  There isn't one.  So why hold McDermott to an unrealistic standard?

Please accept that McDermott is not going anywhere.  He is not the problem.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 2

Spags has a leaky run defense. 

Lost his best run stuffing DT last week. 

Lost Willie Gay mid-game. 

Lost a Safety mid-game. 

Found a way to adjust and make life, somewhat, difficult for Josh.. especially given our WR situation outside Shakir.  

So, believe it or not.. it can be done, even with injuries. 

1 hour ago, Avisan said:

That's the whole point of getting the TD with < 1 min on the clock and no KC timeouts.  That is MUCH harder to pull off than 13 seconds.

They had totally stuffed our run by that point. We had no options to run out that much clock. That’s extremely naive and unrealistic to expect that from an offense. 

You see an opening to score, you take it. Good teams have defenses that can hold. We do not, not even when healthy.

We basically practiced those clock killing drives all season long and were incapable of doing it, even in the Steelers game. Your offense should not also have to be your defense.

Why was McD fixated on practicing long drives to end games? 

Because HIS defense sucks.

Edited by Governor

4 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

take out the kneeldowns and it was 8.46yards/play

which is absolutely bonkers considering that is not a great offense

Chiefs offense averaged 5.5 yards per play in the regular season. So we spotted them an extra 3 yards for every play they ran... That is actually insane.

Another classic McDermott defensive meltdown in the playoffs.

8 minutes ago, chongli said:

If anyone thought this defense was going to play well or even decent against the Chiefs with AJ Klein and Dodson starting as your LBers, and a severely injured secondary you’re smoking crack. It was pretty clear before the game that the Bills would pretty much need to get points every drive in order to win this game. And Josh Allen almost willed them to victory, he was absolutely lights out this game. But you can’t put this loss on McDermott. Losing is always tough, especially heartbreakers like this in the playoffs. But I truly believe McDermott improved throughout this whole season and would feel confident with him going into next year. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

Chiefs offense averaged 5.5 yards per play in the regular season. So we spotted them an extra 3 yards for every play they ran... That is actually insane.

Another classic McDermott defensive meltdown in the playoffs.

the Dolphins defense missing half their starting lineup and barely wanting to tackle in the first quarter held the Chiefs offense to 5.5 yards/play last week

• Angry 1

1 hour ago, Avisan said:

He almost did.  Then it was abandoned after the two-minute warning.

If Allen learned how to dink and dunk, and then punish defenses for dropping out of the Cover 2 shell to stop it he's be more or less unstoppable.  He was nearly unstoppable THIS game despite receiver drops, low overall yards/attempt, etc.  31 points on this Chiefs D despite no help in the field position department would have been an absurd feat.

Dude just stop.  You look like a complete idiot.  The end zone play was there.  It wasn't reckless, it wasn't a stupid decision, it was the right decision.  Allen got hit as he was throwing and couldn't put it where he wanted.  The receiver was wide open in the end zone.

If Allen throws it to Diggs and we still don't score on the drive I'm sure you would be the first person here saying Allen should have thrown the ball in the end zone when the play was there.  You should be wondering why we were at best playing for OT and most likely would have lost anyways in regulation.  There were still 2 more downs to pick up 8 yards.  Or why we constantly ran into the line on first down banging our heads into a brick wall when they were ripe for play action.  Or giving McDermott everything he wants on D to come up short again.  McDermott had the game he creams his boxers over - 186 yards rushing and dominating in time of possession.  And he still lost.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

the Dolphins defense missing half their starting lineup and barely wanting to tackle in the first quarter held the Chiefs offense to 5.5 yards/play last week

Get this - in our 2021 divisional loss to the Chiefs they had 7.6 yards per play.

So our defensive performance tonight was arguably worse than when they had Tyreek Hill and Travis Kelce in their prime.

Yeah we're never winning anything meaningful under McDermott.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 2

26 minutes ago, longtimebillsfan said:

By your standards, every coach that did not advance their team to the conference championship should be fired.

This loss sucks.  I am as sick of losing to that punk Mahomes in the playoffs just like all of the Bills Mafia.  I just believe that McDermott is one of the best head coaches in our team's history.

It is absurd to call for the head coach to be fired after every loss.

What makes you think we will find a better coach if we do replace McDermott?

McDermott has us in the playoffs consistently.  The Bills are in the national spotlight.  And they are considered one of the top teams in the NFL each year.

You ignore all the successes McDermott has had with his time in Buffalo.

The Bills are not firing McDermott after this season.  With all the defensive injuries he has had to deal with, and beating several playoff teams during their 6 game winning streak.   This may be his best coaching season.

Also, name me a team that consistently beats the Chiefs in the playoffs?  There isn't one.  So why hold McDermott to an unrealistic standard?

Please accept that McDermott is not going anywhere.  He is not the problem.  

A ham sandwich can coach this team into the playoffs with Allen at QB.

• Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

Get this - in our 2021 divisional loss to the Chiefs they had 7.6 yards per play.

So our defensive performance tonight was arguably worse than when they had Tyreek Hill and Travis Kelce in their prime.

Yeah we're never winning anything meaningful under McDermott.

I just checked. The 32nd ranked defense in yards per play this year was at 6.0... So our performance tonight was 2.5 yards per play worse than the worst defense in the league...

I'm actually in awe at how bad the defense was tonight. I knew it was awful watching it live, but seeing the numbers it's almost impossibly bad.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.