A look at some 2023 Draft sleepers a year on....

GunnerBill

I like to do this each January, look back at the guys that were left on my draftboard, or highlighted in my sleepers thread for the previous year's draft and how their first year in the NFL has gone. Some alumni of this column who have gone on to have on to have good careers are Robby "Chosen" Anderson (2016); Carl Granderson (2019); Bryce Huff and Juwan Johnson (2020). 

At the end of the 2023 NFL Draft I had 6 guys on my board with draftable grades not taken:

Emil Ekiyor, IOL, Alabama

Ekiyor was a 4th rounder on my board and was signed as an UDFA by the Colts. He was waived at the end of camp and has not been picked up by anyone else. His NFL dream is likely over.

Eli Ricks, CB, Alabama

Ricks was also an early 4th rounder to me and he has fared somewhat better than his former Crimson Tide teammate. He made the Eagles roster as an UDFA and has stayed on the active roster all season. Ricks established himself as a core special teamer and has had 3 pass breakups and 1 tackle for loss in his limited defensive snaps where he has played a bit on the outside and a bit in the slot. With their two vet corners - Slay and Bradberry - having tough seasons, Ricks should get a shot to compete again in 2024. 

Brandon Joseph, S, Notre Dame

Joseph was also a 4th rounder and was signed as an UDFA by the Lions and has spent the majority of the season on their Practice Squad. He did receive his two free elevations and played in a couple of games, exclusively on special teams.

Ivan Pace, LB, Cincinnati

Pace was another 4th round grade by my board and has been the success story of this group. By the season's end he had established himself as a starting linebacker for the Vikings who snagged him as an UDFA after the draft and accumulated 2.5 sacks, 1 forced fumble, 1 interception and 2 tackles for loss as a rookie. Primed for an even bigger year in 2024 and has already won an NFC defensive player of the week award.

Rezjohn Wright, CB, Oregon State

Rezjohn Wright was an early 5th rounder by my board and was signed as an UDFA by the Carolina Panthers. He was waived at cutdowns and signed to their practice squad. He also spent time on the Raiders practice squad during the season and has just signed with the Saints on a futures contract. 

Trey Dean III, S, Florida

The Jets signed Dean, who I had a 5th round grade on, as an UDFA after the draft. He was cut at the end of camp and signed to the practice squad where he remained the entire season, without being elevated or appearing in any games. His practice squad contract expired at the end of the Jets' season and he became a FA - who was quickly scooped up by the Chiefs and will remain on their practice squad until their season ends (hopefully sooner rather than later).

There were also two guys that I hadn't watched enough of to have a full grade on or to have on my board but who I flagged in my sleepers list prior to the draft who then went undrafted. They were:

Bryce Ford-Wheaton, WR, West Virginia

The Giants snagged Ford-Wheaton as an UDFA and he had an impressive camp. He was starting on four special teams units and had catches on offense in their first two pre-season games. The local beat guys there seemed to think he had a real shot at the 53 before tearing his ACL in the final pre-season outing and heading to IR. He will try again in 2024.

Jordan Mims, RB, Fresno State

It was our very own Buffalo Bills who signed Mims out of Fresno State and he made some plays in pre-season. However, he didn't make the roster and chose to sign with the Saints' practice squad (not clear whether the Bills tried to get him back). He then bounced on and off the roster early in the year when the Saints had running back injuries, appearing in two games but not logging any carries. He has now signed to a futures contract. 

Overall one real hit, one real miss and a bunch of other guys in between who have either seen limited action or no action but remain on rosters and still have a chance to stick longer term. I don't think last year's was a particularly good draft but there are always 1 or 2 guys who sneak through and can make an impact as undrafted players. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 8
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 5

2 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Your Pace pick is pretty legendary.  He legit was a monster this year.  

It wasn’t a hard pick. Pace was a monster in college and fell because he’s small and didn’t test. He was a roided up version of Malcolm Rodriguez who was drafted the year before 

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, gonzo1105 said:

It wasn’t a hard pick. Pace was a monster in college and fell because he’s small and didn’t test. He was a roided up version of Malcolm Rodriguez who was drafted the year before 

Did you pick him to do well in the NFL or something?

7 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Did you pick him to do well in the NFL or something?

Yea I did, just look through the draft discussions, even just gave you who I played comped him to and explained why he wasn’t drafted. Was a big time blitzing LB so some questioned whether he could cover and stack and shed. Malcolm Rodriguez went in the 5th to the Lions out of Ok State and I thought Pace would go similarly due to similar builds and collegiate careers. His injury and a lack of testing pushed him further down. He was a hell of a college player and was a draft favorite because of his smaller figure that played big. 

Literally mocked Kincaid to the Bills the night before the draft and got laughed at by many posters only to laugh at them. Called Kaiir Elam a bust the moment we drafted him. I’ve been wrong too. Thought Torrence would struggle in pass pro and outside of a mid season slump he’s been great. 

Edited by gonzo1105
  • Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

Yea I did, just look through the draft discussions, even just gave you who I played comped him to and explained why he wasn’t drafted. Was a big time blitzing LB so some questioned whether he could cover and stack and shed. Malcolm Rodriguez went in the 5th to the Lions out of Ok State and I thought Pace would go similarly due to similar builds and collegiate careers. His injury and a lack of testing pushed him further down. He was a hell of a college player and was a draft favorite because of his smaller figure that played big. 

Literally mocked Kincaid to the Bills the night before the draft and got laughed at by many posters only to laugh at them. Called Kaiir Elam a bust the moment we drafted him. I’ve been wrong too. Thought Torrence would struggle in pass pro and outside of a mid season slump he’s been great. 

That’s very cool about Kincaid and Elam. And the Pace thing too if it’s true. 

Not sure why you have to come in here and ***** on someone else revisiting their predraft work. Seems like something you could have co-championed instead. 

Different strokes I guess.

8 minutes ago, FireChans said:

That’s very cool about Kincaid and Elam. And the Pace thing too if it’s true. 

Not sure why you have to come in here and ***** on someone else revisiting their predraft work. Seems like something you could have co-championed instead. 

Different strokes I guess.

I didn’t ***** on anything, just said Pace if your a guy who reviews and follows isn’t a hard diamond in the rough. How’s that pooping on him? I respect guys who put themselves out there. 

You have to have thick skin to do that. I think even he would admit out of that list of guys, Pace was the most likely to succeed. 

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I like to do this each January, look back at the guys that were left on my draftboard, or highlighted in my sleepers thread for the previous year's draft and how their first year in the NFL has gone. Some alumni of this column who have gone on to have on to have good careers are Robby "Chosen" Anderson (2016); Carl Granderson (2019); Bryce Huff and Juwan Johnson (2020). 

At the end of the 2023 NFL Draft I had 6 guys on my board with draftable grades not taken:

Emil Ekiyor, IOL, Alabama

Ekiyor was a 4th rounder on my board and was signed as an UDFA by the Colts. He was waived at the end of camp and has not been picked up by anyone else. His NFL dream is likely over.

Eli Ricks, CB, Alabama

Ricks was also an early 4th rounder to me and he has fared somewhat better than his former Crimson Tide teammate. He made the Eagles roster as an UDFA and has stayed on the active roster all season. Ricks established himself as a core special teamer and has had 3 pass breakups and 1 tackle for loss in his limited defensive snaps where he has played a bit on the outside and a bit in the slot. With their two vet corners - Slay and Bradberry - having tough seasons, Ricks should get a shot to compete again in 2024. 

Brandon Joseph, S, Notre Dame

Joseph was also a 4th rounder and was signed as an UDFA by the Lions and has spent the majority of the season on their Practice Squad. He did receive his two free elevations and played in a couple of games, exclusively on special teams.

Ivan Pace, LB, Cincinnati

Pace was another 4th round grade by my board and has been the success story of this group. By the season's end he had established himself as a starting linebacker for the Vikings who snagged him as an UDFA after the draft and accumulated 2.5 sacks, 1 forced fumble, 1 interception and 2 tackles for loss as a rookie. Primed for an even bigger year in 2024 and has already won an NFC defensive player of the week award.

Rezjohn Wright, CB, Oregon State

Rezjohn Wright was an early 5th rounder by my board and was signed as an UDFA by the Carolina Panthers. He was waived at cutdowns and signed to their practice squad. He also spent time on the Raiders practice squad during the season and has just signed with the Saints on a futures contract. 

Trey Dean III, S, Florida

The Jets signed Dean, who I had a 5th round grade on, as an UDFA after the draft. He was cut at the end of camp and signed to the practice squad where he remained the entire season, without being elevated or appearing in any games. His practice squad contract expired at the end of the Jets' season and he became a FA - who was quickly scooped up by the Chiefs and will remain on their practice squad until their season ends (hopefully sooner rather than later).

There were also two guys that I hadn't watched enough of to have a full grade on or to have on my board but who I flagged in my sleepers list prior to the draft who then went undrafted. They were:

Bryce Ford-Wheaton, WR, West Virginia

The Giants snagged Ford-Wheaton as an UDFA and he had an impressive camp. He was starting on four special teams units and had catches on offense in their first two pre-season games. The local beat guys there seemed to think he had a real shot at the 53 before tearing his ACL in the final pre-season outing and heading to IR. He will try again in 2024.

Jordan Mims, RB, Fresno State

It was our very own Buffalo Bills who signed Mims out of Fresno State and he made some plays in pre-season. However, he didn't make the roster and chose to sign with the Saints' practice squad (not clear whether the Bills tried to get him back). He then bounced on and off the roster early in the year when the Saints had running back injuries, appearing in two games but not logging any carries. He has now signed to a futures contract. 

Overall one real hit, one real miss and a bunch of other guys in between who have either seen limited action or no action but remain on rosters and still have a chance to stick longer term. I don't think last year's was a particularly good draft but there are always 1 or 2 guys who sneak through and can make an impact as undrafted players. 

Has there been an Alabama offensive lineman that has made it in the league recently? 

22 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Has there been an Alabama offensive lineman that has made it in the league recently? 

90+% of Alabama draftees are overhyped.  The ones who hit can turn out to be big stars but the Leatherwoods are more plentiful.  Or the Ruggs variety.

I’d compare them to the Yankees farm system but with occasional winners.

28 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Jedrick Wills has been a serviceable left tackle when healthy in Cleveland and Bozeman has been a solid center for Baltimore and Carolina. Slim pickings though.

1 minute ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Jedrick Willis, Ryan Kelly come to mind.

Kelly is a great shout, yea.

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.