Solving the Coach Poaching Problem

Heavy Kevi

Sitting here watching gmfb.... And they are talking about Commanders, Chargers, and Panthers having requested permission to interview Detroit OC Ben Johnson as well as their DC.

This happens every year. Playoff teams are in the middle of trying to win a championship, and other eliminated teams are distracting their coordinators with interviews, sometimes even flying them in. It's disgusting and it's a problem.

Obviously this happened with Daboll too in the midst of what probably should have been our SB run. Idk if Dabolls interviews had any correlation to us being knocked out, but it stands to reason that it may have, and SURELY there have been coordinators who didn't do as well of a job because they were distracted interviewing with other teams.

The argument for allowing this is clear. It would be unfair to coordinators in the playoffs if they were locked out of the interview process in favor of coaching candidates that were at home (or from college).

So here's my solution:

Make a head coach hiring window, similar to how FA works. After the trade deadline, teams may fire their coaches and promote from within, but NO TEAM is allowed to interview or hire a HC until after the Super Bowl.

DONE! Problem solved. Would the NFL ever adopt this or do they just not care?

Edited by Heavy Kevi
  • Like (+1) 6
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 6
  • Thank you (+1) 3

I have suggested some of that but part of the argument is coaches are necessary so GM and scouts need input from coaching staff on what type of players to be looking for.

You could argue that for parity teams firing coaches need more time finding staff.

Why not just wait until AFTER the Super Bowl to open the interview window? If a team can’t find a new coach in the entire month of February they have more problems than coaching. It’s not like there are that many candidates out there. 

• Agree 4

12 minutes ago, Heavy Kevi said:

Obviously this happened with Daboll too in the midst of what probably should have been our SB run. Idk if Dabolls interviews had any correlation to us being knocked out, but it stands to reason that it may have, and SURELY there have been coordinators who didn't do as well of a job because they were distracted interviewing with other teams.

Seing the flow of that particular game, you may have thought McD was doing interviews instead of Daboll, because the offense was great, and you can't say the same thing for the defense, as far as I remember.

Anyway, aside from this joke, yeah, interviews should only be allowed after SB

2 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Why not just wait until AFTER the Super Bowl to open the interview window? If a team can’t find a new coach in the entire month of February they have more problems than coaching. It’s not like there are that many candidates out there. 

Did you read the OP? That's exactly what I proposed

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

You mean 2/3 of February.  Superbowl is on Sunday, February 11, 2024.

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, Heavy Kevi said:

Did you read the OP? That's exactly what I proposed

My clarification is that no team is allowed to INTERVIEW a candidate until after the Super Bowl. Seemed like you were saying they couldn’t HIRE one until after. Maybe I misunderstood. 

Just now, SoCal Deek said:

My clarification is that no team is allowed to INTERVIEW a candidate until after the Super Bowl. Seemed like you were saying they couldn’t HIRE one until after. Maybe I misunderstood. 

Oh, fair. That's what I meant and I'll edit!

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Heavy Kevi said:

Make a head coach hiring window, similar to how FA works. After the trade deadline, teams may fire their coaches and promote from within, but NO TEAM is allowed to interview or hire a HC until after the Super Bowl.

There isn't enough room in the schedule. It would put teams who are hiring waaaaay behind the 8 ball in terms of FA and behind in terms of the draft. 

• Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, DrDawkinstein said:

That's pretty much HALF of February even

Well it is a leap year (or a hurdle year for Josh) February so there is an extra day.

Hiring season should start on Superbowl Sunday so everyone can be together and Superbowl coaches can interview after Superbowl and on Monday.

Just now, GunnerBill said:

There isn't enough room in the schedule. It would put teams who are hiring waaaaay behind the 8 ball in terms of FA and behind in terms of the draft. 

They would probably have to move draft, etc later in year.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1

I worked in a highly competitive field in which multi million dollar / multi-year contracts were awarded after an extensive RFP, proposal, and interview process which was all conducted in a matter of three to four weeks; and that was with there being literally dozens of qualified submissions. Believe me, this can be done quickly. 

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Well it is a leap year (or a hurdle year for Josh) February so there is an extra day.

Hiring season should start on Superbowl Sunday so everyone can be together and Superbowl coaches can interview after Superbowl and on Monday.

The League already pushed it into May so it can spread out across the whole year. I dont think Roger would mind moving it back another weekend or two.

10 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Because Superbowl is 4 weeks before free agency opens. That isn't enough time to interview, shortlist and hire a coach. Then hire a staff. Then assess the entire roster. Then try and extend our own FAs. Then try and assess the FA market and work out who you want to target. You would have to put FA back at LEAST two weeks. Then you probably need to move the draft back into mid-May. The one year we went to early May the feeling was it squeezed rookie mini-camps and ate into the one month of true break that coaches and personnel guys get mid-June to mid-July. 

The schedule doesn't work unless the league is willing to lose something totally. If it agreed to totally lose pre-season you could fit it all in and move camp back to start of August. But they are not going to do that. 

• Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Because Superbowl is 4 weeks before free agency opens. That isn't enough time to interview, shortlist and hire a coach. Then hire a staff. Then assess the entire roster. Then try and extend our own FAs. Then try and assess the FA market and work out who you want to target. You would have to put FA back at LEAST two weeks. Then you probably need to move the draft back into mid-May. The one year we went to early May the feeling was it squeezed rookie mini-camps and ate into the one month of true break that coaches and personnel guys get mid-June to mid-July. 

The schedule doesn't work unless the league is willing to lose something totally. If it agreed to totally lose pre-season you could fit it all in and move camp back to start of August. But they are not going to do that. 

They could lose some of the rookie camps and add days to other camps plus have an additional mandatory camp for all draftees to be taught economics, NFL rules, etc.  I think such an event would be popular with TV and fans.

Troy Vincent and JP Losman could be a guest lecturers on consequences of opening mouth to veterans.

Edited by Limeaid
red shirts

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

3 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Replying to both....

There's plenty of time in the off-season. If they have to push back draft then fine.

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I have alot of respect for your opinions, Bill...

But I'm not buying that's it's not possible and messes everything up.

These are highly paid professionals, they should have no problem dealing with slight changes in their work schedules for the betterment of the league, fairness, and a higher quality product on the field in the playoffs.

• Disagree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Heavy Kevi said:

Sitting here watching gmfb.... And they are talking about Commanders, Chargers, and Panthers having requested permission to interview Detroit OC Ben Johnson as well as their DC.

This happens every year. Playoff teams are in the middle of trying to win a championship, and other eliminated teams are distracting their coordinators with interviews, sometimes even flying them in. It's disgusting and it's a problem.

The argument for allowing this is clear. It would be unfair to coordinators in the playoffs if they were locked out of the interview process in favor of coaching candidates that were at home (or from college).

So here's my solution:

No one cares so this won't happen.  Daboll having an interview had nothing to do with the Bills bad exit from the playoffs. It doesn't stand to reason that it did. 

• Like (+1) 2

32 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Great insight on why it's set up this way. 

I agree that I'd like to see it change now that we are good and in the playoffs every year. Plus our coordinators are usually indemand as well for an interview, so we get the short end of the stick. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.