Solving the Coach Poaching Problem

Heavy Kevi

It's not even the interviews that take so much time away from Coordinators during playoff planning, prepping for the interviews probably takes 10x more of their time. These coaches need to go into the interview ready to speak on their analysis of that team and what their plan would be to improve it. That takes hours & hours of work, film study on the potential new team, etc. They can't just go in there & wing it. Unless they don't sleep that week, I don't know how they can prep for both an interview & a playoff game.

This is f ing America.  If I want to take an interview for a job while I'm doing my current job, no one has the right to tell me I cannot.   You can bet the teams are talking to all kinds of candidates from the college ranks, coaches who are not active right now, etc.  I want to compete with them, so don't tell me I can't bc I'm still in my current job.   Ridiculous.   People are briefly distracted by job interviews all throughout their careers.  This the way the real world works. 

3 minutes ago, ProcessTruster said:

This is f ing America.  If I want to take an interview for a job while I'm doing my current job, no one has the right to tell me I cannot.   You can bet the teams are talking to all kinds of candidates from the college ranks, coaches who are not active right now, etc.  I want to compete with them, so don't tell me I can't bc I'm still in my current job.   Ridiculous.   People are briefly distracted by job interviews all throughout their careers.  This the way the real world works. 

The NFL is definitely not the real world. 

38 minutes ago, 947 said:

It's not even the interviews that take so much time away from Coordinators during playoff planning, prepping for the interviews probably takes 10x more of their time. These coaches need to go into the interview ready to speak on their analysis of that team and what their plan would be to improve it. That takes hours & hours of work, film study on the potential new team, etc. They can't just go in there & wing it. Unless they don't sleep that week, I don't know how they can prep for both an interview & a playoff game.

An in-person interview consumes an entire day or two if your current position is on the opposite coast. Plane flight, hotel, plane flight. It’s no different from any other business trip. It’s really disruptive in a week where you have at most six days to prepare for a playoff opponent. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.