Why does this team always seem like it's running on fumes?

Every team is running on fumes for the most part. The issue could be alleviated in my opinion with a second bye week. Extend out the season another week and give each team two bye weeks.

Players in a 17 game season really need more than one single off week. If the bye comes too early teams are exhausted in the late season, if a bye is in the middle of the season teams get banged up early and still may be faded down the stretch and a late bye is not great as by the time the bye week comes up they may not get the rest they need in time.

Give players a bye from weeks 4-8 and then another bye from weeks 10-13 give these players in season time to heal.

Edited by billsfan89
  • Agree 4

On 1/3/2024 at 7:33 PM, Patrick Fitzryan said:

It's felt this way the past three seasons. They just always seem mentally exhausted. Tons of games where they have no spark, nothing goes smoothly, players constantly looking beleaguered and embattled...it's weird, right? I can't put my finger on it, but there has been something off mentally with them for a long time.

My gut says it's coaching, but the players supposedly like McDermott & Co.

Imagine if we would’ve lost

23 hours ago, Patrick Fitzryan said:

They're absolutely awesome sometimes and then terrible many times. The variance is bigger than for any Bills team I can remember.

They play down to the competition a lot which can be very frustrating. 

• Agree 2

8 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

Every team is running on fumes for the most part. The issue could be alleviated in my opinion with a second bye week. Extend out the season another week and give each team two bye weeks.

Players in a 17 game season really need more than one single off week. If the bye comes too early teams are exhausted in the late season, if a bye is in the middle of the season teams get banged up early and still may be faded down the stretch and a late bye is not great as by the time the bye week comes up they may not get the rest they need in time.

Give players a bye from weeks 4-8 and then another bye from weeks 10-13 give these players in season time to heal.

Agree, all teams are on fumes right now -- the Bills are actually in a better situation than most.   Also agree on the two bye weeks.

I never understood why they just didn't keep it at 16 games and go to two bye weeks.  The TV/streaming services just care that they have the content to fill up the time slots. The NFL would still have had the extra TV income (though not quite as much) without the cost of paying the players more.    This is one issue that the NFLPA should have stood firm on. Going to 17 games is proof positive that the NFL has no real concern for player safety and that either the NFLPA is spineless or the NFLPA leadership is in the pocket of the NFL.

Edited by Billy Claude
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BillsPride12 said:

100% agree that the NFL should have never added a 17th game.  It is absolutely pointless except for $$$ and pure greed from the Owners. 

Believe it’s only due to in increased international games being integral to the leagues vision and that, like you’ve said, is down to $.

When they went down that road it was inevitable. 

• Like (+1) 1

I agree with so much of what’s been said on here. Since the NFL is television driven it’s hard to believe it makes any real difference whether teams play 17 games with one bye or 16 games with two byes and the rapid explosion of Fantasy Football and online betting has made most people’s ‘home’ team’s games even less critical. Nobody wants to see backup quarterbacks dueling it out in the playoffs. Give each team two bye weeks evenly spaced across the season strategically aligned with their Thursday night and overseas games. Done! 

Edited by SoCal Deek
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.