Bills Cap Breakdown by Greg Tompsett

DrDawkinstein

On 12/6/2023 at 10:07 PM, LABILLBACKER said:

Evans is literally the same age as Diggs. He's got a garbage qb throwing to him and yet he's managed 10 TD's and a 60% catch rate.  I'd sign him in a heartbeat on a reasonable deal to pair with Diggs.  Then draft Odunze. 

On 12/7/2023 at 5:11 AM, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Good point on Evans/Diggs age and love the idea to pair him with Odunze.

You guys think we can sign evans and draft Odunze…… lol.  You can’t be serious.  But I’m sure you both are 🤦🏻‍♂️ 

3 minutes ago, Charles Romes said:

Don’t they need to sign Brown. If he is a mid level starting tackle, what is that, about 8 per?

He’s under contract next year.  Both he and Dawkins expire after next season

2 minutes ago, NewEra said:

He’s under contract next year.  Both he and Dawkins expire after next season

I don't know if facts bear it out, but I get the sense that this is about the time the Bills tend to look for replacements when contracts are expiring next year.

14 minutes ago, finn said:

Von will be a tough call. It comes down to whether he's worth the $7 million in savings they'd get if they cut him; the rest of his salary is guaranteed. He's just taking up a roster spot at this point, but it's possible he return to form next year. Tre White is another tough one, could depend on whether Elam develops. The only easy cut is Harty, who just catches punts and falls down. Sounds like Hines will be back, so at least we'll have someone to return kickoffs. 

I would not restructure Diggs until it's more clear what is up with him. 

Not sure why people assume Hines will be back.   3rd string RB with a blown out knee isn't worth $5M.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Simon said:

I don't know if facts bear it out, but I get the sense that this is about the time the Bills tend to look for replacements when contracts are expiring next year.

Yeah could be.  I just hope we don’t go OL in rd 1 or 2 this year.  WR and DL please

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, NewEra said:

Yeah could be.  I just hope we don’t go OL in rd 1 or 2 this year.  WR and DL please

With the state of our line (and how GOOD it is), I'd be SHOCKED if they addressed it at all in the draft. We have all our starters locked in, and even Morse's replacement on the roster already.

Re-signing Dawkins to an extension can save us enough.

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Like (+1) 2

On 12/5/2023 at 11:27 PM, DrDawkinstein said:

Greg Tompsett is making the podcast rounds in the bye week this week and talking cap.

Gave a pretty detailed plan on Cover1 and showed how the Bills could get themselves to about $72M UNDER the cap. Or $56M under without anything too crazy.

Worth watching, or at least clicking around through, for anyone concerned with our cap situation next year.

He was also on Locked On Bills to discuss our Free Agents and re-signing options

As a little preview, the detailed plan to get to $72M...

No Brainers - Cap Saved

Restructure Josh - $23M

Restructure Diggs - $13M

Restructure Ed - $3M

Release Hines - $5M

Release Harty - $4M

Total - $48M

Being $29M OVER cap right now, these moves alone put us $19M UNDER.

Tompsett's Preferred/Likely Moves - Cap Savings

Extend Dawkins - $7M

Extend Douglas - $6M

Extend Johnson - $5M

Release Siran Neal - $3M

Release Sam Martin - $1M

Restructure McGovern - $3M

With these moves added to the above, the Bills would be $44M UNDER

Painful but Possible - Cap Savings

Release Poyer - $5.5M

Release Tre - $6M

Bills now $56M UNDER

Prefer Not - Cap Savings

Restructure Milano - $2.5M

Restructure Knox - $6M

Trade Elam - $165k

Release Bates - $1.5M

Release Morse - $5.5M

Bills now $72M UNDER

I type all that to once again reiterate, the cap is a myth.

Anything about Von the debt Bomb?

28 minutes ago, NewEra said:

You guys think we can sign evans and draft Odunze…… lol.  You can’t be serious.  But I’m sure you both are 🤦🏻‍♂️ 

This was from early December when the team was 5-5 and 6-6 and picking in the teens. 

The Bills have won 4 in a row and now are picking in the 20's so Odunze will be long gone, Nabers and so forth. 

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Anything about Von the debt Bomb?

Nothing about Von at all in the plan to get to $72M under. Which is good to hear we can get there even with that contract on the books.

Not sure what we do there. Seems like it costs more to cut him than keep him. But I'm still trying to hash out the post-June 1 numbers.

Either way, I think Miller is on the roster next year but not beyond that.

cap.jpg

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

This was from early December when the team was 5-5 and 6-6 and picking in the teens. 

The Bills have won 4 in a row and now are picking in the 20's so Odunze will be long gone, Nabers and so forth. 

Copy that-  

Even so- you thought we’d use our first rd pick on a WR and then use any FA money we might be able to free up for another WR with a similar skill set as the WR we just drafted.  Meanwhile we’d have no defensive line- and no money to buy one.  Sounds fun. But it’s 💩 

6 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Nothing about Von at all in the plan to get to $72M under. Which is good to hear we can get there even with that contract on the books.

Not sure what we do there. Seems like it costs more to cut him than keep him. But I'm still trying to hash out the post-June 1 numbers.

Either way, I think Miller is on the roster next year but not beyond that.

I think all you can do is approach him and ask for a salary cut, but their camp knows the Bills are not going to eat $30M in dead cap to get rid of him. 

That length of that contract and his age is not a good match.

4 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Copy that-  

Even so- you thought we’d use our first rd pick on a WR and then use any FA money we might be able to free up for another WR with a similar skill set as the WR we just drafted.  Meanwhile we’d have no defensive line- and no money to buy one.  Sounds fun. But it’s 💩 

I think our WR room needs to be blown up. 

It's been 2 seasons now where #4, #5 and #6 are unplayable. 

We go into next season with Diggs and Shakir, that's it. Shorter is not a plan. 

Let's pray they don't re-sign Gabe, and that means you're again trying to get one in FA, and really, no matter what, you need to draft WR in R1. 

And on that 💩free agency point - we've tried the low end FA route - Crowder, Emmanuel Sanders, Sherfield, Harty - and these guys stink. So Evans is of course going to be a premier FA, but we've seen time and time again this low end guys are not good enough to even get on the field. 

Look through the 2024 WR FAs and tell me who you'd like? 

Edited by Straight Hucklebuck
  • Like (+1) 2

Just now, Straight Hucklebuck said:

I think all you can do is approach him and ask for a salary cut, but their camp knows the Bills are not going to eat $30M in dead cap to get rid of him. 

Yeah, If that's our only option, than we wont even bother. No way he takes it and it isnt worth the hard feelings of asking your "super stars" to take pay cuts. Bad juju.

Roll with it, let Von play assistant DL coach like he has been, and adjust after next season.

3 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

I think our WR room needs to be blown up. 

It's been 2 seasons now where #4, #5 and #6 are unplayable. 

We go into next season with Diggs and Shakir, that's it. Shorter is not a plan. 

Let's pray they don't re-sign Gabe, and that means you're again trying to get one in FA, and really, no matter what, you need to draft WR in R1. 

I hear ya.  I agree-  Diggs and shakir and gut the rest-  shorter might be wr6 so that leaves 3 spots.  I just think it’s impractical to use our 2 best assets (1st rd pick and big FA contract) on the position.  We’ve invested in knox and Kincaid- if we plan on using both of them (which should based on our investments) then using our 1st and big FA $ on WR is a poor allocation of assets imo.  We need to find a way to use Kincaid and knox at the same time. 

I’d like to see: 
-Diggs

-1st rd pick 

-Shakir

-3-5M FA that can challenge 1st rd pick and shakir

-1-3M FA or later rd pick

-Shorter

Kincaid

Knox

Cook

43 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I hear ya.  I agree-  Diggs and shakir and gut the rest-  shorter might be wr6 so that leaves 3 spots.  I just think it’s impractical to use our 2 best assets (1st rd pick and big FA contract) on the position.  We’ve invested in knox and Kincaid- if we plan on using both of them (which should based on our investments) then using our 1st and big FA $ on WR is a poor allocation of assets imo.  We need to find a way to use Kincaid and knox at the same time. 

I’d like to see: 
-Diggs

-1st rd pick 

-Shakir

-Shorter

Kincaid

Knox

Cook

So we agree on the 1st Round pick at WR.

But $3M - $5M FA WR is Harty (2 years, $9M).

$1M - $3M FA WR is veteran minimum Sherfield type player.

So effectively, let’s bypass FA at WR and use a 1st and 3rd/4th on another WR.

Because <$5M WR isn’t going to do anything. 

• Like (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I’d like to see: 
-Diggs

-1st rd pick 

-Shakir

-Shorter

Kincaid

Knox

Cook

Agree and definitely yes on the DK's being able to be used together.  I just think they are different and shouldn't impede each other.  They aren't playing the same thing on the offense.

5 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

I don't disagree with this thinking, either.

EDIT:

The long and the short of it is, we need studs.

Note Hoepfullies or Let's Give'em Time and See or Maybe They'll Blossom Here.

Studs from the get go.  

We can't do to Allen what the Sabres did to Hasek.

Please give the man Holy Cow weapons to bash in the heads of other teams.  

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

2 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

In general agree, but we have too many holes to fill and not enough high picks to fill them to spend another pick that high on double dipping.

Bills currently have 10 picks.

1st

2nd

4th

5th

5th

6th

6th

6th

6th

7th

I believe we're expecting to get a 3rd for Edmunds as well. Giving us 11.

I could see Beane using a couple of those 6th to package with a 5th or 4th and moving up in those rounds. So maybe a 2nd WR there if the right guy falls. But it will take some luck and finagling.

Go Bills

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

In general agree, but we have too many holes to fill and not enough high picks to fill them to spend another pick that high on double dipping.

Bills currently have 10 picks.

1st

2nd

4th

5th

5th

6th

6th

6th

6th

7th

I believe we're expecting to get a 3rd for Edmunds as well. Giving us 11.

I could see Beane using a couple of those 6th to package with a 5th or 4th and moving up in those rounds. So maybe a 2nd WR there if the right guy falls. But it will take some luck and finagling.

Go Bills

Well, I guess it will be RD 1 WR, Diggs, Shakir, Harty and Shorter.

Just now, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Well, I guess it will be RD 1 WR, Diggs, Shakir, Harty and Shorter.

Unless Harty is a shock the rest of the way....he's done nothing to warrant a spot next year.

Diggs
Veteran FA / Trade if possible

Round 1 WR

Shakir
Round 2 WR

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.