Constipation. This one got stuck in my digestive tract.

ShakAttack

Usually, I am pretty good about having a “24 hour process” coming off bad Bills losses in which, by Tuesday morning, the game will still come to mind on and off, but I’ll be over it for the most part.

This time… I can’t get it out of my system; it’s stuck.  Stuck on flashing back to the absolutely ridiculous 59 yard field goal and missed connection to Gabe Davis in OT, specifically. Along with being SO SICK AND TIRED of being involved in “instant classic” games year after year, but being on the losing end of them EVERY TIME!!!  

I absolutely hate this part about being a sports fan. 

And I am just wondering how many of you are in the same boat?  Because we have gone through numerous BAD losses this season, but something about this one, despite being an NFC opponent, has got me so backed up with sh*t thoughts and I am unable to pass this brain stool. 

• Like (+1) 12
  • Agree 7
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

1 minute ago, BobBelcher said:

Usually, I am pretty good about having a “24 hour process” coming off bad Bills losses in which, by Tuesday morning, the game will still come to mind on and off, but I’ll be over it for the most part.

This time… I can’t get it out of my system; it’s stuck.  Stuck on flashing back to the absolutely ridiculous 59 yard field goal and missed connection to Gabe Davis in OT, specifically. Along with being SO SICK AND TIRED of being involved in “instant classic” games year after year, but being on the losing end of them EVERY TIME!!!  

And I am just wondering how many of you are in the same boat?  Because we have gone through numerous BAD losses this season, but something about this one, despite being an NFC opponent, has got me so backed up with sh*t thoughts and I am unable to pass this brain stool. 

Nope. I don't do this anymore. 

Been too many times after a bad loss I lose a week to a bad mood or constantly replaying it. After a few of those types of losses I noticed that the players themselves rarely let it bother them...why should I?

Even after this game we had the usual players slapping hands, dabbing up guys from the Eagles. Laughing and smiles. Good times. Then they go back to the locker room get told we'll get em next week and act heartbroken when they come out for the post game presser. Heck this time even Diggs was like "whatever, cool" right after the game.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Nope. I don't do this anymore. 

Been too many times after a bad loss I lose a week to a bad mood or constantly replaying it. After a few of those types of losses I noticed that the players themselves rarely let it bother them...why should I?

Even after this game we had the usual players slapping hands, dabbing up guys from the Eagles. Laughing and smiles. Good times. Then they go back to the locker room get told we'll get em next week and act heartbroken when they come out for the post game presser. Heck this time even Diggs was like "whatever, cool" right after the game.

Very cool. I hope to mature emotionally to this level. 

On a side note, regarding your comment on Diggs, didn’t see anything about him post-game.  Did he speak to the media? 

• Agree 1

Dude, I was thinking about making a thread about pretty much this exact topic.

This season has been probably the most difficult for me to cope with since I have been watching, which has been about 22 years (started when I was 18, I'm turning 40 in a week, haven't missed a game pretty much, come to this board basically daily).

The combination of the tough losses plus the expectations of the season has really gotten to me.  After the Eagles game, I got very angry and punched a wall.  I know this is not something that should happen and I should control my anger, but I couldn't let it go.  And now I'm thinking that the stress of how much I follow and care about the Bills is affecting my health.  I want to care about them very much and follow them, but there needs to be a limit.

Anyway, I agree, this game is a tough one, and it is compounded by the fact that it seems all of these "game of the year" types of games go against us.  Its stressful and there is no reward.  I have been debating if I want to watch the next couple games because I know that while we can make the playoffs by winning out, I don't want to give me hopes up just to lose to KC in horrific fashion and it be over.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

You have to remember we have the QB, it helps keep everything in perspective 

I do remember that. And in fact whenever I have this particular problem, I try to look for the silver lining to move on from it. In this case, the silver lining is the fact that if the Bills do indeed miss the playoffs, McDermott has to be OUT. And if missing the playoffs was necessary for this to happen, then so be it. I’ll make that trade every single time. You know, I was still on the fence about McDermott before Sunday, but that game absolutely sealed the deal for me. I mean how could it not? 

• Like (+1) 1

I'm not really sure why so many fans are so bitter about this one. Josh Allen played well. We took perhaps the best team in the league to overtime. The defense collapsing wasn't fun to watch, but the Eagles are no joke. They are a really good team. And we took them down to the wire.

This one is easier for me to get past than, say, the Jets game where the team just made critical error after critical error, with Josh looking terrible and lost, against Zach Wilson. That one was far worse for me.

Or the Pats game? They have a terrible, terrible offense, and they have looked bad against everyone but us. That game sucks worse than this one.

• Like (+1) 3

6 minutes ago, BobBelcher said:

Very cool. I hope to mature emotionally to this level. 

On a side note, regarding your comment on Diggs, didn’t see anything about him post-game.  Did he speak to the media? 

No, just some camera shots of him on the field. He typically doesn't speak after the game from what I've seen. 

3 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

This game stuck with me longer than normal.  I usually get over it in a few hours but it really wasn't the game that I was pissed off about, it was the officiating that I'm still wondering how these guys have jobs.

That's true. The officiating really stuck out. But I told my dad before the game it would be like that when I saw that the unholy spawn of Ed Hochuli was officiating. He is the WORST. Almost as bad as his dad.

3 minutes ago, BufBills83 said:

Dude, I was thinking about making a thread about pretty much this exact topic.

This season has been probably the most difficult for me to cope with since I have been watching, which has been about 22 years (started when I was 18, I'm turning 40 in a week, haven't missed a game pretty much, come to this board basically daily).

The combination of the tough losses plus the expectations of the season has really gotten to me.  After the Eagles game, I got very angry and punched a wall.  I know this is not something that should happen and I should control my anger, but I couldn't let it go.  And now I'm thinking that the stress of how much I follow and care about the Bills is affecting my health.  I want to care about them very much and follow them, but there needs to be a limit.

Anyway, I agree, this game is a tough one, and it is compounded by the fact that it seems all of these "game of the year" types of games go against us.  It’s  stressful and there is no reward.  I have been debating if I want to watch the next couple games because I know that while we can make the playoffs by winning out, I don't want to give me hopes up just to lose to KC in horrific fashion and it be over.

I can relate bro. From start to finish. Personally, I’m not even going to watch the KC game. I’ll just feel better if I sit that one out. And then About 4 hours after kickoff, I’ll check my phone and hope for the very best. But right now, I do expect that watching a Bills-Chiefs game will cause me more anguish than joy, so I’m taking a seat for this one (and Von Miller should, too). 

21 minutes ago, BobBelcher said:

Same. I woke up as sad today as I did yesterday. Not good. I usually recover quickly, but this one is sticking.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, MJS said:

I'm not really sure why so many fans are so bitter about this one. Josh Allen played well. We took perhaps the best team in the league to overtime. The defense collapsing wasn't fun to watch, but the Eagles are no joke. They are a really good team. And we took them down to the wire.

This one is easier for me to get past than, say, the Jets game where the team just made critical error after critical error, with Josh looking terrible and lost, against Zach Wilson. That one was far worse for me.

Or the Pats game? They have a terrible, terrible offense, and they have looked bad against everyone but us. That game sucks worse than this one.

You are not wrong about the Jets and Pats games. That was terrible and I would include the Broncos game as well. What made this game tough to take at least for me is I thought we were going to lose all week leading up to it. I thought they had a small chance to win. Then the Bills go out and get a 10-point lead. They are playing them tough all the way thru. Got the lead late in the 4th. Had a miracle FG made forcing them to go to OT. Get the lead in OT but can't close it out. If they would have lost badly then I would have been saying "whatever". But they got my hopes up that they were going to pull out the win but didn't. That is what made it disappointing.

4 minutes ago, BobBelcher said:

I do remember that. And in fact whenever I have this particular problem, I try to look for the silver lining to move on from it. In this case, the silver lining is the fact that if the Bills do indeed miss the playoffs, McDermott has to be OUT. And if missing the playoffs was necessary for this to happen, then so be it. I’ll make that trade every single time. You know, I was still on the fence about McDermott before Sunday, but that game absolutely sealed the deal for me. I mean how could it not? 

👍👍 Allen is Cristiano Ronaldo to me is how I view it

Yes not the tactically clinical tikitaka Messi/Mahomes surgery but just an absolute specimen and waaayy more fun to watch imo

So best case scenario sure maybe you sneak a Euro/SB or two but even if you don't it's still required viewing

6 minutes ago, MJS said:

I respect that perspective, but at a certain point, for me, it’s taking these teams all the way down to the wire, sometimes with impressive QB play all the way through, sometimes with just enough offense to take a lead with 1 more stop needed on defense, but we seem to ALWAYS end up on the losing end of these types of games, and that’s precisely why I am unable to appreciate it for the great game that it was; it’s because this same sh*t is happening over, and over, and over and we keep seeing the SAME ending.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BobBelcher said:

I can relate bro. From start to finish. Personally, I’m not even going to watch the KC game. I’ll just feel better if I sit that one out. And then About 4 hours after kickoff, I’ll check my phone and hope for the very best. But right now, I do expect that watching a Bills-Chiefs game will cause me more anguish than joy, so I’m taking a seat for this one (and Von Miller should, too). 

I'm interested in where you, as well as anyone else, think about wanting to keep riding the playoff train and hope we win out (maybe 4-1 will get there but I wouldn't want to risk that) versus just not giving up hope and what happens, happens.  I have a hard time with this, its a fine line for me.  I am most times an optimist and think we can win any game, that we can make the playoffs, etc.  I check the playoff machine for scenarios and think they are possible.  But right now, I don't know if I should keep hope and watch the next couple games and see what happens, or just let it play out and not worry about it.

14 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

This game stuck with me longer than normal.  I usually get over it in a few hours but it really wasn't the game that I was pissed off about, it was the officiating that I'm still wondering how these guys have jobs.

Yes it's the officiating that just pisses me off and makes it hard to let go, like if it was just the bad coaching at the end or missed execution it'd be aggravating but you'd just move on and try and just ignore football for a while. But yeah they should have won anyway but if the officiating was balanced I can't see them losing even with those other factors and that's the kick in the nuts.

The other thing is has flipped things around sure there are some missed plays that ***** hurt in that game a lot but the narrative that's still being preached by all these #######s about Allen is the same. If we'd won they sure as hell couldn't have done that and that pisses me off more too.

• Agree 1

38 minutes ago, BobBelcher said:

Outside of my (tragic) shellfish allergy, The Process in and of itself has given me multiple bouts of intestinal distress.

19 minutes ago, BufBills83 said:

I'm interested in where you, as well as anyone else, think about wanting to keep riding the playoff train and hope we win out (maybe 4-1 will get there but I wouldn't want to risk that) versus just not giving up hope and what happens, happens.  I have a hard time with this, it’s  a fine line for me.  I am most times an optimist and think we can win any game, that we can make the playoffs, etc.  I check the playoff machine for scenarios and think they are possible.  But right now, I don't know if I should keep hope and watch the next couple games and see what happens, or just let it play out and not worry about it.

I know we can and will hang with the remaining teams on our schedule. Heck, we are capable of outplaying all of them too, like we outplayed Philly.

But the reason I am NOT optimistic personally is because - despite the offense back to playing it’s best ball of the year since Joe Brady took over - we still don’t know how to win close games, and there WILL be more close games! Even worse, We aren’t learning from the great learning opportunities we’ve had in these close losses. Instead, we double down on mistakes made before. It’s remarkable. 

its very hard to have faith in the Bills going 4-1 down the stretch knowing that will entail winning the types of games that we haven’t been able to win all season, but, my personal opinion may change if we beat KC, because that is a TOUGH team to beat when it goes down to the wire, and if we can do that, well, maybe they’ve turned the page.   I am just not counting on that to happen.  Not at all. 

25 minutes ago, BobBelcher said:

I respect that perspective, but at a certain point, for me, it’s taking these teams all the way down to the wire, sometimes with impressive QB play all the way through, sometimes with just enough offense to take a lead with 1 more stop needed on defense, but we seem to ALWAYS end up on the losing end of these types of games, and that’s precisely why I am unable to appreciate it for the great game that it was; it’s because this same sh*t is happening over, and over, and over and we keep seeing the SAME ending.  

You bring up the point I have been thinking about….why is it that the Bills don’t seem to ever have the ball last in the close games?   Why can’t I remember a Bills nail biter where they won with time expiring?

Is it my age and horrible memory or does it just not happen all that much?   And if it doesn’t happen that often why the heck NOT?   Is that coaching and clock management?

These losses have all stuck with me longer than normal I think it’s the expectation that they were going to be good.   

3 minutes ago, JohnnyBuffalo said:

You bring up the point I have been thinking about….why is it that the Bills don’t seem to ever have the ball last in the close games?   Why can’t I remember a Bills nail biter where they won with time expiring?

Is it my age and horrible memory or does it just not happen all that much?   And if it doesn’t happen that often why the heck NOT?   Is that coaching and clock management?

These losses have all stuck with me longer than normal I think it’s the expectation that they were going to be good.   

It’s definitely bizarre and unusual that the same scenario has essentially played out 3x already this year.  Including the point differential (3).  And that we’ve lost all 3. 

A couple of “opposite” scenarios that come to mind was last year against Ravens and I think Miami game #2 ended this way as well.

we had the ball towards end of game in both of those games (definitely in the ravens game) but down by LESS THAN 3 POINTS, so therefore, once we got into chip shot FG range, we were able to bleed the clock and ensure our opponent never touches the ball again. 

That is a 100x better situation to be in and that situation COULD have happened yesterday as well, but due to a couple missed FGs and a defensive blunder to give up that 3rd and 15 TD, we ended up being down by 4, needing a touchdown, and in that situation you can’t really bleed the clock because you have to take the opportunities to score when you have them. 

For me its just a matter of managing expectations before, during, and after the game.  Such as knowing after taking the lead late in the 4th the Bills defense was going to give up a score and OT was the most likely scenario. And knowing that 59 yard FG would have somehow, defying all laws of gravity and matter would have been good from 89.  And knowing if the Bills didn't score a TD in OT the game was over as the Eagles would march down the field and get it into the EZ.  And the next day waking up and thinking maybe next week they'll get it right!   

This year has been a slowly accumulating pile of pain. Started with the Jets Week 1, losing White against MIA, losing Milano and Jones in London (then the game), making Mac Jones look like Tom Brady, almost losing against NYG and TB, that god awful 12 man bull#### vs. Denver, now this week.

If they somehow go on a streak from here and make a playoff run it'll outdo the 2017 season.

• Like (+1) 2

I said it on Sunday, but I fully expected the bills to lose this game. What makes it so frustrating, is that they had multiple opportunities to win, and that leads to anger. I'd almost rather the bills lost by 14 than how they actually lost. They just dug themselves way to deep a hole and now they basically have to win out, and even if they do that, I'm not sure how far they'd get in the playoffs. 

15 minutes ago, BobBelcher said:

I know we can and will hang with the remaining teams on our schedule. Heck, we are capable of outplaying all of them too, like we outplayed Philly.

But the reason I am NOT optimistic personally is because - despite the offense back to playing it’s best ball of the year since Joe Brady took over - we still don’t know how to win close games, and there WILL be more close games! Even worse, We aren’t learning from the great learning opportunities we’ve had in these close losses. Instead, we double down on mistakes made before. It’s remarkable. 

its very hard to have faith in the Bills going 4-1 down the stretch knowing that will entail winning the types of games that we haven’t been able to win all season, but, my personal opinion may change if we beat KC, because that is a TOUGH team to beat when it goes down to the wire, and if we can do that, well, maybe they’ve turned the page.   I am just not counting on that to happen.  Not at all. 

I thought they did learn a bit,,, knew they had to end Philly with an OT touchdown.  They were methodical, Josh ran when he needed to scramble and get 1st downs.  Great drive. Then on 3rd and 6 or whatever it was they went for the kill shot to Gabe and were out of sync. 

Hindsight is always 20/20, but i bet an easier play was there to get the 6+ yards and not risk missing a big throw. Methodically pound it in the end zone for the W.  Sure would’ve been sweet.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

1 hour ago, teef said:

i'm oddly numb to it.

Comfortably numb? 

1 hour ago, The Wiz said:

That's part of it for sure.  The fact that we actually overcame all of those ridiculous calls to find ourselves on the cusp of victory not once, but twice, only to piss it away.

In the last several years, I've gotten much better about letting the losses go at the emotional level by the evening after the game.  My wife hates football and she simply does not care about it when I vent about the Bills (she in fact not only doesn't care, she doesn't want to hear it lol).  It's forced me to move on quicker.

1 hour ago, zow2 said:

Now that i’m older, The game usually washes off me in less than 24 hours. This one hurts a bit more because like 13 seconds, They blew the chance to win TWICE.  Couldn’t get the stop at the end, or in OT.  Disgraceful. 

For me, It took one more day to digest than bonehead 12 man game.  However This one is not bad as wide right or KC 13 seconds.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, zow2 said:

Now that i’m older, The game usually washes off me in less than 24 hours. This one hurts a bit more because like 13 seconds, They blew the chance to win TWICE.  Couldn’t get the stop at the end, or in OT.  Disgraceful. 

I remember how angry I was after the Giants game.  Even though we won it felt like a loss.  This game had heartbreak written all over it after Hochuli did his 10 penalties to 1 act.  We had so many opportunities to put them away only to watch conservative McDufus open the door for Hurts and his coaches.  If we lose to KC, I'll be rooting for McDermott's immediate firing and as high a draft pick as we can get.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.