Broncos at Bills 1994

Buffalo03

Continuing on with posting old games against upcoming opponents where we are playing them the coming week, since this coming game is a Monday Night game, I am going with Broncos at Bills from Monday Night Football from 1994. This game I remember being blacked out on local TV when I was 8 years old. I do remember that season being the NFL's 75th season and every team in the NFL wearing throwback uniforms in weeks 3 and 4. This game being week 4 we wore a red standing Buffalo helmet instead of the white standing Buffalo helmet. Not sure why. We never saw them again after this game but I found that interesting. The Broncos uniforms in this game I don't remember ever seeing but it could have easily been long before my time. The Bills won this game 27-20 to move to 3-1 on the year before losing 8 of their final 12 games and missing the playoffs after 4 consecutive Super Bowl seasons. If anyone was at this game or remembers it, feel free to post and share it. As always.....Go Bills and let's get back on track this week and start a run. 

Edited by Buffalo03
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, phypon said:

OMG!  I had to laugh at the "pet safe anti-freeze - Not safe for drinking" commercial around the 1:44:40 mark.  Never heard of that before, wtf???  Too funny.

Yeah, I know, right? Lol. The fact that they put pet safe in there is kinda funny

This was another good one.  If Denver would have beaten us in this game, they would have clinched the AFC West.  Instead, we came back and won and the next week the Chargers beat the Broncos to win the division.  Back when we were a down-trodden team we actually made an impact on the playoff picture.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/200812210den.htm

I was 8 when this game was played and wasn't allowed to stay up to watch it. So my mom taped it and I watched it the next day. I think I ended up watching this tape on repeat for the next year or two. For whatever reason, Karl Mecklenburg is what I remember most from this game. I don't remember what he did or any he plays he made. I just remember the name Karl Mecklenburg. 

10 minutes ago, Talley56 said:

This was another good one.  If Denver would have beaten us in this game, they would have clinched the AFC West.  Instead, we came back and won and the next week the Chargers beat the Broncos to win the division.  Back when we were a down-trodden team we actually made an impact on the playoff picture.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/200812210den.htm

Yeah, I went with this game from 1994 since it was a Minday night game and we play them on Monday night tonight 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Buffalo03 said:

Continuing on with posting old games against upcoming opponents where we are playing them the coming week, since this coming game is a Monday Night game, I am going with Broncos at Bills from Monday Night Football from 1994. This game I remember being blacked out on local TV when I was 8 years old. I do remember that season being the NFL's 75th season and every team in the NFL wearing throwback uniforms in weeks 3 and 4. This game being week 4 we wore a red standing Buffalo helmet instead of the white standing Buffalo helmet. Not sure why. We never saw them again after this game but I found that interesting. The Broncos uniforms in this game I don't remember ever seeing but it could have easily been long before my time. The Bills won this game 27-20 to move to 3-1 on the year before losing 8 of their final 12 games and missing the playoffs after 4 consecutive Super Bowl seasons. If anyone was at this game or remembers it, feel free to post and share it. As always.....Go Bills and let's get back on track this week and start a run. 

I was at this game. As recall Thurman went off in the 2nd half.

The reason for the red helmets was the uniform rules at the time. Players had to wear the same helmet all season unless it was damaged. They couldn't use white ones for just that game.  They had to put the big white standing Buffalo over their normal helmets.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Wacka said:

The reason for the red helmets was the uniform rules at the time. Players had to wear the same helmet all season unless it was damaged. They couldn't use white ones for just that game.  They had to put the big white standing Buffalo over their normal helmets.

Wasn't aware. They look weird and they have never worn them again after this game lol

7 hours ago, Buffalo03 said:

Awesome memory and observation! I love sh*t like this and borderline uniform/helmet obsessed with the NFL 

IMG_3247.jpeg

8 hours ago, Buffalo03 said:

Honestly, it was determined it would cost too much. Ralph was truly cheap!

They were terrible looking -like a pigeon dropped a load from 20’ on a red helmet.

38 minutes ago, Tierlifer said:

Awesome memory and observation! I love sh*t like this and borderline uniform/helmet obsessed with the NFL 

IMG_3247.jpeg

What's funny is, if you see a picture of a Bills player wearing this helmet, you know it's only ever of 2 games in history that they wore them. Week 3 and 4 of 1994 against the Houston Oilers and Denver Broncos. We haven't worn them since lol

6 hours ago, Wacka said:

I don't think this was the rule then. Several teams that year wore different colored helmets. Denver switched from blue to orange in this particular game.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.