Mike Johnson, New Speaker of the House.

B-Man

24 minutes ago, BillStime said:

Gee, I wonder?

Johnson's actions have highlighted the GOP's questionable tactics regarding concerns over the national debt. Depriving the IRS of funding needed to curtail tax evasion by the rich won't decrease the debt, it will only amplify it.

Well, big picture, it seems to me one political party (and it's supporters) only cares about the national debt when the other party is in charge of the spending.   It's a political talking point, sadly, nothing more or less. 

On supporting Israel, there were 12 democrats who supported the bill, so while I'd likely disagree with many positions there, you have to admire the guys it takes to take a stand when anti-Israeli sentiment is building amongst the left. 

I understand the desire to position an aid bill for a nation in need as somehow not about the needs of that nation, it's a cold and cynical world.  It just seems the best course of action for all stakeholders involved to address the critical need now, and work out the other details as time permits. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

Well, big picture, it seems to me one political party (and it's supporters) only cares about the national debt when the other party is in charge of the spending.   It's a political talking point, sadly, nothing more or less. 

On supporting Israel, there were 12 democrats who supported the bill, so while I'd likely disagree with many positions there, you have to admire the guys it takes to take a stand when anti-Israeli sentiment is building amongst the left. 

I understand the desire to position an aid bill for a nation in need as somehow not about the needs of that nation, it's a cold and cynical world.  It just seems the best course of action for all stakeholders involved to address the critical need now, and work out the other details as time permits. 

Only one party is playing games... and prioritizing the 1% over support for Israel.

Just now, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

at this point Im waiting for one of the DEM house members to try to present a bill to give emergency funds to Palestine (HAMAS would get it)

27 minutes ago, BillStime said:

Only one party is playing games... and prioritizing the 1% over support for Israel.

The party prioritizing politics over aid to Israel is yours, BillSy. Don't get distracted by the shiny objects that they point to--virtually everyone you support is a 1% and it's no coincidence that suddenly (as if by magic) this is a problem.  

I should have inquired--do you support the aid for Israel as outlined?  

32 minutes ago, Tommy Callahan said:

at this point Im waiting for one of the DEM house members to try to present a bill to give emergency funds to Palestine (HAMAS would get it)

It would not surprise me to see any number of dems preferring to decline aid to Israel entirely. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

The party prioritizing politics over aid to Israel is yours, BillSy. Don't get distracted by the shiny objects that they point to--virtually everyone you support is a 1% and it's no coincidence that suddenly (as if by magic) this is a problem.  

No problem with the aid but only one party is playing games - and that’s yours.

• Eyeroll 1

7 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

It would not surprise me to see any number of dems preferring to decline aid to Israel entirely. 

The package the house passed for Israeli aid, had only 10 dem supporters.

all the rest let it be known with that vote,  and were mostly dems.

On 11/2/2023 at 12:22 PM, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

Your characterizations on what @sherpa believes or doesn't is best addressed by Sherpa, though I see nothing in his response(s) to reach the conclusion you have reached. My observation is that you're too closed-minded to consider his response rationally, and too determined to jump to the invariably dopey conclusions you reach to learn anything here.   It just seems to be who you choose to be. 

I'm very concerned about your observations.

• Vomit 1

5 hours ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

194 democrats and 2 republicans voting against aid for Israel.  Wow.  

(That’s how we do this, correct?)

Democrats suggest same amount of money to Israel.

Add that it be paid for by taking money away from billionaires in taxes.

Trumpers say nay.

Trumpers anti-Israel?

Spare me your incessant bullshiit. 

• Vomit 1
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, sherpa said:

Another stupid, unrelated post.

I was posting regarding LCDR Wade McClusky, a South Buffalo native, who, through amazing leadership combined with a bit of serendipity, led to the destruction of the Japanese carriers in the battle.

As Nimitz said:

"McClusky's decision to continue the search for the enemy and his judgment as to where the enemy might be found, "decided the fate of our carrier task force and our forces at Midway."

His actions turned the tide of the Pacific war. Japan was never offensive again. That was the point of my post.

In that post about McClusky, I stated that four Japanese carriers were destroyed in ten minutes. Actually three were. The fourth was attacked but not sunk until a few hours later. 

I did, and do know the facts. It was a mistake I made by being less careful than I usually am, and in a hurry.

If stating that four were sunk when actually the fourth was not sunk until a few hours later caused emotional discomfort, I apologize.

You, on the other hand completely butchered a post where you ha d:

the wrong guy.....Not just the wrong guy but mistaking two of the most famous people in that faith ever.

the foolish claim they were Roman citizens, which absolutely were not.

the idiotic claim that the Romans assisted the spread of what was called at the time "The Way," when they eventually imprisoned tortured and killed those people.

Normally, at this point I would post a particularly accusatory ending, pointing out your wackiness, but I no longer care to point out what is grossly obvious.

lol, You know, if you said the dog ate your home work it would of sounded better than I was too lazy to change it! 

No, I corrected your work. I mean, you being who you say you are you should just have know how that battle went down. Your ignorance is a BIG tell. 

Catfish? 

• Eyeroll 1

8 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

lol, You know, if you said the dog ate your home work it would of sounded better than I was too lazy to change it! 

No, I corrected your work. I mean, you being who you say you are you should just have know how that battle went down. Your ignorance is a BIG tell. 

Catfish? 

Another laughable post.

By the way, as you claim you "corrected" my post, are you aware that you screwed up the accusation?

I had to point it out to you, as your memory was grossly false.

Get that?

Your original accusation was false, and I had to remind you.

You are a waste of time. 

• Agree 2

3 minutes ago, sherpa said:

Another laughable post.

By the way, as you claim you "corrected" my post, are you aware that you screwed up the accusation?

I had to point it out to you, as your memory was grossly false.

Get that?

Your original accusation was false, and I had to remind you.

You are a waste of time. 

I'm sorry, but it just cracks me up when it tries to call others ignorant.

11 minutes ago, Tommy Callahan said:

I'm sorry, but it just cracks me up when it tries to call others ignorant.

Kind of interesting when he couldn't even remember what he was claiming, and had to be told.

The individual is a goof.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Kemp said:

Democrats suggest same amount of money to Israel.

Add that it be paid for by taking money away from billionaires in taxes.

Trumpers say nay.

Trumpers anti-Israel?

Spare me your incessant bullshiit. 

You're asking me to spare you after you reached out to me?  What a strange duck. 

Billionaires pay taxes.   Multi-millionaires pay taxes.  They pay them based on the tax laws, rules and regulations put in place by the people we elect to hold office.  Those folks--BushBidenRomneyObamaPelosiSchumerMcConnelletc--do exactly the same, using the law to hold on to every bit of wealth that they can.   It takes 30 seconds and a google search to find some of the most vocal proponents of grievance politics living amazingly high on the hog, while you're down here spewing the company line about "billionaires". 

Look, politicians sell grievance politics because gullible people lap it up.  The theory that somehow, someway in our 247th year as a nation the very economic fate of our nation comes down to whether or not aid to Israel is stand-alone or chunked into this bill is silly.  

Let's get the aid and move on.  Maybe a guy like you has to pretend it's not for Israel.  Write your congressperson!

• Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

4 hours ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

did you see oread any dissenters comments on the vote?  i haven't but suspect some want more humanitarian concessions from Israel and some even want a 2 state solution.  Blinken called it absolutely imperative today.......

1 hour ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

You're asking me to spare you after you reached out to me?  What a strange duck. 

Billionaires pay taxes.   Multi-millionaires pay taxes.  They pay them based on the tax laws, rules and regulations put in place by the people we elect to hold office.  Those folks--BushBidenRomneyObamaPelosiSchumerMcConnelletc--do exactly the same, using the law to hold on to every bit of wealth that they can.   It takes 30 seconds and a google search to find some of the most vocal proponents of grievance politics living amazingly high on the hog, while you're down here spewing the company line about "billionaires". 

Look, politicians sell grievance politics because gullible people lap it up.  The theory that somehow, someway in our 247th year as a nation the very economic fate of our nation comes down to whether or not aid to Israel is stand-alone or chunked into this bill is silly.  

Let's get the aid and move on.  Maybe a guy like you has to pretend it's not for Israel.  Write your congressperson!

so you're not outraged when you or I pay a significantly higher percentage of our income in taxes than billionaires do?  btw schumer is no 1%er.  didn't look up the others.  It takes $10 million to join that club:  https://www.opensecrets.org/personal-finances/charles-schumer/net-worth?cid=N00001093#:~:text=with an estimated net worth of %241%2C122%2C521 in 2018.

Biden is in the 1%.  but no where near the wealth of a billionaire...

P resident Biden is worth an estimated $10 million, up from $8 million when he took office. The increase has nothing to do with family business dealings in far-flung countries. Instead, he is getting richer by doing what a lot of 80-year-old Americans are doing: sitting on real estate.Aug 17, 2023

source:  Forbes

Edited by Joe Ferguson forever

42 minutes ago, Joe Ferguson forever said:

did you see oread any dissenters comments on the vote?  i haven't but suspect some want more humanitarian concessions from Israel and some even want a 2 state solution.  Blinken called it absolutely imperative today.......

so you're not outraged when you or I pay a significantly higher percentage of our income in taxes than billionaires do?  btw schumer is no 1%er.  didn't look up the others.  It takes $10 million to join that club:  https://www.opensecrets.org/personal-finances/charles-schumer/net-worth?cid=N00001093#:~:text=with an estimated net worth of %241%2C122%2C521 in 2018.

P resident Biden is worth an estimated $10 million, up from $8 million when he took office. The increase has nothing to do with family business dealings in far-flung countries. Instead, he is getting richer by doing what a lot of 80-year-old Americans are doing: sitting on real estate.Aug 17, 2023

https://www.caclubindia.com/wealth/chuck-schumer-net-worth/

One of us has bad data. Based on the preponderance of links estimating Schumer’s net worth being between 70-80M, I say it’s you. 

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, JDHillFan said:

https://www.caclubindia.com/wealth/chuck-schumer-net-worth/

One of us has bad data. Based on the preponderance of links estimating Schumer’s net worth being between 70-80M, I say it’s you. 

Touche'...didn't figure that site to b so wrong...still not a billionaire tho.  Not in the same universe but way more money than he can spend easily and wisely.....I'd be happier and he and all mentioned by Lenny were paying much more tax

17 minutes ago, Joe Ferguson forever said:

No, I didn't read any comments.  You could be 100% correct, at least based on what they say, but think what we really have the usual mix of obstructionism, special interestism, whatsinitformeism, and more than a fair bit of anti-semitism reflected in the nays.   The yays, I suspect, follow a similar pattern except we swap out those distrustful of Palestinians and Islamaphobia or anti-semitism.  

Whatever barnyard explosion being pitched as **** being unfair doesn't bother me in the least.  It never has, and as I have said previously, I believe paying a fair and reasonable tax is part of the cost of patriotism. 

I think tax rates, generally, are too high but that is what it is.  Not much I can do about it beyond vote, and even then, some folks claim elections are illegitimate and others say they can be stolen.  So, I keep my head down, pay my taxes, contribute where I can to charity and try to be a good citizen.   Some most definitely have it better than I do, financially anyways.  As a retired doctor, I'd bet you're loaded and are probably top 2% or better.  I don't begrudge you that, though you're rates are too high, the waiting room is cold, and  %$#@  you for making me have to wait so long!! 

Anyway--I'd think this subject--aid approved to an ally after a vicious attack, would be widely seen as positive, yet here we are. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

and even then, some folks claim elections are illegitimate and others say they can be stolen. 

c'mon.  you still push this bs?  no proof and yet you seem so analytical and articulate....sometimes

If I'm paying 35% of my income in taxes, so should Bill Gates and Elon Husk.

Homosexuality occurs in many species.  You've likely witnessed it in a zoo.  WTF is wrong with u all?  This guy is stooooopid...

https://www.yahoo.com/news/house-speaker-mike-johnson-once-195200999.html

MAGA, the anti science party

“Our race, the size of our feet, the color of our eyes, these are things we’re born with and we cannot change,” Johnson said in 2008 while promoting the event. “What these adult advocacy groups like the Gay Lesbian Straight Education Network are promoting is a type of behavior. Homosexual behavior is something you do, it’s not something that you are,” he said in an audio clip obtained by CNN.

because behavior isn't affected by nurture, only nature🙄  More dualist black/white thought.  Do these idiots even consider how gray all of our genetic make up is?  Stop watching reality tv and map your genes...you might find out some things u never wanted to know.  Who knows, Johnson may have descended from a Roman eunich.  btw, I'm intrigued by the wall paintings in the brothels in Pompeii.  Is that weird, like ***** and stuff?

4 minutes ago, JDHillFan said:

“but I've danced around gay people.  no biggie”

- redhawk in the pride flag thread

https://www.pompeiitours.it/attractions/brothels-of-pompeii/

to be clear, I have dance partnered with gay women.  Never with gay men.  does that meet your approval?  Don't care actually

2 minutes ago, B-Man said:

Strong.

You endorse fiscal responsibility yes?

can you help us understand the outrageous expansion of the federal deficit under Trump?

if you are to embarrassed to discuss happy to post exact numbers

can you share what you think is “strong”

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 11/3/2023 at 6:26 PM, Joe Ferguson forever said:

c'mon.  you still push this bs?  no proof and yet you seem so analytical and articulate....sometimes

If I'm paying 35% of my income in taxes, so should Bill Gates and Elon Husk.

I don’t see the point of pretending that something that was, wasn’t.  In this case, I simply offered what people have said, and they have.

On the tax issue, tax revenue for 2023 is projected to exceed $4.3 trillion.  I understand your point—putting aside for a moment the questions of unrealized gain, differing tax rates for different types of income etc—-but whether or not Elon Musk, Bill Gates or Joe Biden get dinged for additional $$$$ has no impact on my life, nor do I think will it ultimately impact the lives of people not as fortunate to be in the  35% federal tax bracket. 

I think the 35% is too high, btw, but would bet a large segment of the population would favor bumping you to 45%, if it meant dropping their rate by 6, 7, 8% in return.

I’m all about trying stay positive and be grateful these days, and the fact is most of the good things in my life have very little to do with +/- tax rate.  Why get upset about it? 

Edited by leh-nerd skin-erd

7 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

I don’t see the point of pretending that something that was, wasn’t.  In this case, I simply offered what people have said, and they have.

On the tax issue, tax revenue for 2023 is projected to exceed $4.3 trillion.  I understand your point—putting aside for a moment the questions of unrealized gain, differing tax rates for different types of income etc—-but whether or not Elon Musk, Bill Gates or Joe Biden get dinged for additional $$$$ has no impact on my life, nor do I think will it ultimately impact the lives of people as fortunate to be in the  35% federal tax bracket. 

I think the 35% is too high, btw, but would bet a large segment of the population would favor bumping you to 45%, if it meant dropping their rate by 6, 7, 8% in return.

I’m all about trying stay positive and be grateful these days, and the fact is most of the good things in my life have very little to do with +/- tax rate.  Why get upset about it? 

"Is it fair to all concerned?".  Admirable goal and worthwhile pursuit imo.  Some should not be more equal than others.  There's an international civic club that lives by the motto or at least, aspires to it.

"Is it fair to all concerned?".  Admirable goal and worthwhile pursuit imo.  Some should not be more equal than others.  There's an international civic club that lives by the motto or at least, aspires to it.

But they are, some people get a better deal than others.  Stepping back from the über-wealthy, for ordinary folks, many get their income directly from an employer and it’s recorded on a W2.  Many folks get cash—hairdressers, electricians, painters teachers working after hours—and don’t report the side hustle income.  Is that fair to all concerned?  

Some things…just are.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

But they are, some people get a better deal than others.  Stepping back from the über-wealthy, for ordinary folks, many get their income directly from an employer and it’s recorded on a W2.  Many folks get cash—hairdressers, electricians, painters teachers working after hours—and don’t report the side hustle income.  Is that fair to all concerned?  

Some things…just are.  

Bingo.  And reportedly the 87,000 IRS workers will be going after them mostly.  Because the billionaires, contrary to what Dems have been told, will still be able to hide their money and take advantage of tax breaks not available to most people. 

3 minutes ago, Doc said:

Bingo.  And reportedly the 87,000 IRS workers will be going after them mostly.  Because the billionaires, contrary to what Dems have been told, will still be able to hide their money and take advantage of tax breaks not available to most people. 

I know I’m repeating myself, but the amount of revenue going through the system in 2023 exceeds $4,300,000,000,000.   How come we can’t do all is good, important stuff at the $4.3 trillion mark?   

I also want to be clear—I don’t care about the cash side hustle, people working hard and trying to pocket some cash.  That’s all good as far as I’m concerned, I just was responding to Fergies noble, but naive, quote. 

• Agree 1

37 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

Some things…just are.  

people who do gig jobs don't usually make much.   Oftent hey don't make enough to pay fed tax.  Billionaires pay a comparatively low rate.  the discrepancy in amount paid between a gig worker and an office worker is minuscule by comparison to the office worker (or doctor/lawyer) versus the billionaire.

real cons don't do theocracy:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2023/nov/04/mike-johnson-theocrat-house-speaker-christian-trump