Josh Allen has a perfect passer rating on the season (158.3) on play-action passes

Logic

Reading an article on the Athletic just now, I had to share the following. I know there was some recent discussion about play-action on this forum so I had to contribute this factoid. I realize that four games is kind of a small sample size. Then again, it's a quarter of an NFL season, so it's not THAT small.

https://theathletic.com/4926954/2023/10/04/buffalo-bills-stefon-diggs-josh-allen/

1. Speaking of Dorsey, the way he’s incorporated the play-action passing game into the offense this season has helped this passing offense become one of the most efficient in the league through four games. Josh Allen has a 158.3 passer rating and is completing a league-high 81 percent of his passes when the Bills use play action. Last season, Allen was in the top five of passing attempts and EPA/dropback on play action, so it’s not a new thing that he excels in this area. But Dorsey said he and his staff put even more emphasis on finding different ways to lean on it heading into this season. He also said the way the team has been running the ball creates more opportunities in the play-action passing game.

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 4

Methinks the arguments to replace Dorsey may possibly have been a bit premature. So far in 2023, so good... Yes, it's a small sample size but the results speak for themselves. Josh winning AFC POTW twice in four games — what more could we ask for, three times, four?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

18 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I can't wait until Hailee and Josh have a baby.  Then that baby starts learning playaction at a very early age and gets drafted by the Bills.

What about the bartenders kid? They deserve to learn playaction too.

• Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

18 hours ago, H2o said:

I think it's not only play-action itself, but play-action from under Center where Josh is killing it. That's what Orlovsky was talking about on Monday. 

Carful, the resident experts on scatter plots will be quick to tell you that the effectiveness of play action has nothing to do with formation or frequency and effectiveness of the running game.

Who cares if James Cook is leading the team in touches and total yards from scrimmage? Couldn't possibly be helping Josh in any tangible way!

But seriously, ponder that. Diggs is on pace for a career year in receiving yards, and he's #2 in production just slightly behind Cook. 

And I don't care what anyone says, play action from under center simulates the run much better than from shotgun, and holds the illusion of the hand off much longer, giving the receivers more time to get down field while the defense is triggering to run keys. 

• Agree 2

On 10/4/2023 at 11:56 AM, Logic said:

Reading an article on the Athletic just now, I had to share the following. I know there was some recent discussion about play-action on this forum so I had to contribute this factoid. I realize that four games is kind of a small sample size. Then again, it's a quarter of an NFL season, so it's not THAT small.

https://theathletic.com/4926954/2023/10/04/buffalo-bills-stefon-diggs-josh-allen/

1. Speaking of Dorsey, the way he’s incorporated the play-action passing game into the offense this season has helped this passing offense become one of the most efficient in the league through four games. Josh Allen has a 158.3 passer rating and is completing a league-high 81 percent of his passes when the Bills use play action. Last season, Allen was in the top five of passing attempts and EPA/dropback on play action, so it’s not a new thing that he excels in this area. But Dorsey said he and his staff put even more emphasis on finding different ways to lean on it heading into this season. He also said the way the team has been running the ball creates more opportunities in the play-action passing game.

Soooo... we should probably not use it anymore and work on strengthening other parts of our game, right? (sarc)

5 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

This kid will think his daddy is Armando, the head bouncer at his mom's bar until he's about 15 years old.  Then when he realizes he doesn't look Hispanic at all...he will ask questions.  

How else do you think Uncle Rico grew up?

Edited by Sherlock Holmes

16 hours ago, stosh64 said:

Some great stuff in this breakdown by Cover 1

Play Action Dominance: How Josh Allen Strikes Fear in Defenses

From a statical analysis, there is no argument how much more effective play action has been for the Bills from under center. 

This is crazy good production from under center! I think this video almost needs it's own thread?

Edited by Motorin'

2 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

It's the most efficient play in football so long as you establish a run game. Now that we have committed to doing it under center Josh is reaping the rewards 

McDermott said as much in his press conference today. That the most important thing is being able to secure the line of scrimmage and run the ball effectively, which opens up the play action.

I don't know why so many people are adamant that the Bills don't need to run the ball effectively. 

41 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

McDermott said as much in his press conference today. That the most important thing is being able to secure the line of scrimmage and run the ball effectively, which opens up the play action.

I don't know why so many people are adamant that the Bills don't need to run the ball effectively. 

I think people get hung up on semantics. You don't need to be run first, you have to run it just enough that defenses have to account for the possibility. 

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

I think people get hung up on semantics. You don't need to be run first, you have to run it just enough that defenses have to account for the possibility. 

Exactly. And the other part of the argument is that you don't have to run the ball effectively for play action to be effective... (Edited: cause autocorrect wrote "foreplay" LOL)

Ok, but is anyone really saying that it is inconsequential whether the Bills offense can run the ball effectively? 

I for one am very encouraged but the better oline play and better running back talent. It's taking pressure off of Josh's shoulders, and making the offense more complete. 

Edited by Motorin'

2 hours ago, Motorin' said:

Exactly. And the other part of the argument is that you don't have to run the ball effectively for play action to be effective... (Edited: cause autocorrect wrote "foreplay" LOL)

Ok, but is anyone really saying that it is inconsequential whether the Bills offense can run the ball effectively? 

I for one am very encouraged but the better oline play and better running back talent. It's taking pressure off of Josh's shoulders, and making the offense more complete. 

Yep. You don't have to do it a lot, you just need to make it an alternative defenses have to consider worth stopping.

Right now Cook, Allen, Murray and Harris are averaging 4.2 yards a carry or better. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.