Bills are adjusting to a lot and are going to get better

transplantbillsfan

4 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Before making a statement like "this was on another level," you should have gone back to understand the context of all those multi interception games by all those HOF/Elite QBs.

Myopic viewpoint without those.

I’m not going down a QB argument with you because you will spin it every time.  You did this with Tyrod Taylor and EJ Manuel back on the BBMB days.

You relentlessly made excuses for them and looks like you’re still that guy.

Its okay to be pissed and say our QB sucked.  He only has a +6 TD/INT ratio in his last 12 games.  That’s pretty bad.  He might be in the negative if you include fumbles.  

It doesn’t mean I hate Allen or think he sucks.  Monday Night was flat out embarrassing and shouldn’t have happened.  The double fumble showed he was mentally out if it.  The wreckless/immature style is what you worry about as a rookie, not year 6.

I

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

That surprised me too. I was really expecting quick slants, lots of motion, and movement. The offensive game plan was perplexing. I thought the first half wasn't too bad. It was acceptable. Allen was taking the short throws and being somewhat effective vs a very tough D. 

Everything went out the window in the 2nd half. Allen clearly lost his poise. Yet, he was still about to lead his team to the game tying FG. That's how good Allen and his team can be. 

Come OT and winning the coin toss was great. I thought Allen is going to match down and get a TD or at least a FG. I really felt good about the Bills scoring. Three and out was horrible. The offense looked lost, flat, and predictable. Extremely disappointing finish. 

Let Zach Wilson move the ball 80-90 yards three times to win the game would’ve been fine with me - play the field position game. Knock in a few fgs and call it a day- right?

don’t need the heavy artillery when they are already on their death bed. Let them go naturally instead of blowing yourself up playing with dynamite to finish it flashy 

Just now, transplantbillsfan said:

Good question. You're putting this out there almost as a rhetorical question.  Are you asking this because you know and none of them were?

I’ve no idea …it’s your stat not mine…

But without this context, I think your point is pretty meaningless… there is an obvious difference in airing it out throwing Hail Marys in a game you are chasing … and trying to control a game you are leading against an  inferior QB opponent ..

5 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

I'm not saying they are doomed. I'm hopeful the Bills can progress and improve. Hoping they can be a top tier team and represent the AFC. It's certainly possible. I think it's unlikely but that's irrelevant. I'll never give up hope even if I remain skeptical. 

Nice post Paul. You said what I'm thinking in a more professional manner. 

Really interesting thought on the team still suffering from 13 seconds and the Cincy loss. I never considered that angle. Frankly, it makes a lot of sense. Seems like the team and the regime hasn't fully recovered from that. Asca fan, I'm still scarred. 

I am too Newcam.  The 13 seconds loss was heartbreaking.  But at least we competed our asses off.  And with solid coaching should have closed that game out.

The Cinci game we really did not show up.  And that was embarrasing. 

The team needs to chart a new course in 2023.  The offense that worked from 2020-2022 is not working any longer.  It started coming apart last season (pretty much starting w the second half against Green Bay) and keeps plunging downward.  Of course Josh Allen's reckless turnover plague play has contributed a lot to the current state of the offense.  But its more then that.  We need more creativity and identity of what type of offense we plan to be.  It has to be more then Diggs and Cook, and Josh running around like his hair is on fire. 

Lets hope that starts this Sunday against Las Vegas..  But back to my earlier point, we need some big wins to exorcise the demons of the past two seasons, and give the players, and maybe the coaching staff too some confidence that this team is different, and more mentally and physically tough to win the big games come playoff time.  Obviously not a good start Monday night.  But lets see what happens going forward to right the ship. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

But without this context, I think your point is pretty meaningless… there is an obvious difference in airing it out throwing Hail Marys in a game you are chasing … and trying to control a game you are leading against an  inferior QB opponent ..

Didn't have to look far.

In a game we can all remember quite well, Brady and the Pats went up 21-0 against the Bills in the 2nd quarter and threw 4 interceptions.

6 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

Manning and the Broncos were up by 10 in the 2nd quarter in 2020 against Cleveland in a 3 Interception game for Manning.  Fortunately they came back and won in OT by 3.  

Just now, Aussie Joe said:

And the others? 

Also … you aren’t actually comparing JA to Brady are you? 

Don't be stupid.

You asked a question and I answered it.  Now because you didn't expect the answer you have to throw in a logical fallacy to try to deflect.

Be better.

1 minute ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Manning and the Broncos were up by 10 in the 2nd quarter in 2020 against Cleveland in a 3 Interception game for Manning.  Fortunately they came back and won in OT by 3.  

And against a back up QB ? 

2 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Don't be stupid.

You asked a question and I answered it.  Now because you didn't expect the answer you have to throw in a logical fallacy to try to deflect.

Be better.

Brady wasn’t playing against a back up QB 

1 minute ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Since you like to talk about “context” while looking at box scores, what were the context of all these other interceptions you keep citing? Were they all also the results of egregious lapses in vision and judgment, as Allen’s were? Or were there Hail Marys, tipped passes, unbelievable plays by defenders, passes that bounced of receivers’ hands, etc.? Since you’re the context expert tell us, since you definitely watched all those plays.

6 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

And the others? 

Also … you aren’t actually comparing JA to Brady are you? 

Kansas City went up by 27 points against the Broncos last year.  Mahomes threw 3 interceptions in that game and the Broncos nearly came back to win it.

Dan Orlowski in his One Bills Drive interview the other day was actually talking about how Mahomes had to go through a similar "grow up" phase because of games like the one Josh played on Sunday.

Just now, transplantbillsfan said:

Kansas City went up by 27 points against the Broncos last year.  Mahomes threw 3 interceptions in that game and the Broncos nearly came back to win it.

Dan Orlowski in his One Bills Drive interview the other day was actually talking about how Mahomes had to go through a similar "grow up" phase because of games like the one Josh played on Sunday.

So now we gotta count the  “nearly lost its”…

I’ll feel a lot better when JA has won a couple of championships before people start comparing him to Mahomes, Brady and Manning..: even in a negative way..

7 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

So people get frustrated when on the replay of an incomplete pass, turnover, or sack they see guys in the shorter zones running open and blame Allen.  But if we have 5 recieving targets, and his first 4 reads are all downfield, he won't always get to his 5th read before he fires a ball in tight coverage, gets pushed out of the pocket or tries to run.  

There needs to be a major shift in our passing attack philosophy because right now, the priority is too push push push downfield and all teams need to do is take that away because we don't have a great OL and the time it takes for those guys to get downfield, the DL can get through and disrupt the passing lanes and pocket.  We need to see a LOT more of what we saw on the first play of the game, quick drop slant to Diggs for an easy completion on Sauce to open the game.  

I quoted this part of your post for emphasis to comment on the bolded.

What I don't know (and can't figure out how to find the answer) is this "downfield" tendency a called play by Dorsey?  I don't know if that is true.

In all my years of watching football I was under the belief that on a certain multi-receiver play it is foolish for the OC to pre-determine which

of the receivers will ultimately get the pass.  With all the defensive pre-snap high jinks and realignments, it would be hard for the OC to know

the deep pass (for instance) is going to be the advantageous throw.  I always assumed that is on the QB shoulders.

Isn't the QB tasked with surveying the Ds alignment (both pre-snap and then again post-snap) to determine of all the possible pass routes,

which receiver will have the best advantage on each particular play called?  Then upon the snap he keys on one or two defenders' initial movements

to confirm his choices.

So you can see, while I believe that there are too many times when the deep pass(es) are looked at first, I just don't know if it's Dorsey

wanting that, or both him and Josh wanting it or just Josh making the deep throws his priority.  Without truly knowing what's going on

behind the scenes I have a hard time pointing fingers to who or what the real problem is.

McDermott is ultimately responsible for emphasizing and/or correcting any issues like this, but I have a hard time pointing the finger his way too,

once again due to not knowing what is going on behind the scenes.  Is McDermott asking Dorsey why all the deep throws and Dorsey replies,

I don't know, I gave a play with 5 options, 2 deep, 2 intermediate and 1 short. I use this speculation as an example only.

So you can see, looking at this way, I just don't know what is wrong and who needs to adjust.

LOL, all I want is a couple long methodical TD drives a game.  I haven't seen many of these lately.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.