83 yard run. Sean McDermott made an interesting comment.

Buffalo_Stampede

7 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Just had to get this off my chest because I’m just now listening to some postgame comments.

McDermott said they were misaligned on the big 83 yard run.

McDermott is never shy about using timeouts, we all know this. It’s kind of a running joke around here. But when he sees his defense outmatched due to alignment he doesn’t call timeout?

This is the type of coaching that loses games. 😡

IMG_3236.jpeg

I didn't realize this. Nobody let me in on the joke.

10 hours ago, Simon said:

I saw it and am aware of what happened. 

I also know that if he called a timeout every time something like that happened, he'd be out of them in about a quarter.

This.

And people would say, "What the hell is wrong with McD? He obviously isn't able to handle play-calling as well as HCing, and this is the proof. This guy needs to be fired."

People unwilling to blame the players sometimes don't seem to want to change their minds.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, kjack151 said:

Did you all realize that since McD has taken over we've had a running back break a long run every year? Dalvin Cook last year, Damian Harris (NE now with Bills), Derrick Henry, Miles Sanders, can't think of the running back from Washington that did it...I don't see this happening with any other team so consistently.  Just an observation.  

You're right. I NEVER see teams breaking long runs once a year or more against other teams. It's only the Bills.

And pretty much everybody else.

Over the course of a whole season, teams are likely to allow one or two. I took a quick look for the Niners and the Jets last year, two terrific defenses

SEA had a 50 yarder against SF.

SEA also had a 60 (Walker) yarder against the Jets.

This stuff happens.

4 hours ago, 34-78-83 said:

pretty darn close... it's revealed in Erik Turner's film review of Bernard. Bernard needed to have the whole 2nd level group (LB's plus Trey White) shift one gap over to their left to properly align to the 3TE formation used by the Jets off-balance right.

Yup.

It's part of the cost of letting Edmunds go. He was excellent at lining them up correctly, and they don't have anyone else right now with much experience at doing so.

Likely they'll get better at this as the season goes along. 

11 hours ago, PBF81 said:

That's the way I see it too.  Milano was actually the MLB on that play in a clinically traditional 4-3 alignment.  

I'd question why on 1st-and-10 they were so concerned about a run UTM.  

The other puzzling thing is that the DL converges on the middle, again, on 1st-and-10, not 3rd-and-1 or 2.  

Bernard, who's lined up in the SLB spot, makes a beeline for the Center of the OL.  Why?  That's beyond well-covered.  

Where there's no presence, besides as you mentioned, namely White, a CB, is on the edge, where Hall makes his break between White, who whiffs entirely, and that edge, and gone.  And if it was White that was supposed to set that edge, well, then he simply whiffed.  

McD's comment may be a way of deflecting criticism of his choice for starting LB this season, whether it be SLB or MLB regardless.  

I hope Kirskey is getting up to speed.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, gjv said:

Had White made the tackle, this thread would not have been written.

Correct but as I said straight away in the GDT thread a running back running off tackle should never have the corner be the only man in contain or the first contact. There was clearly an alignment mistake. 

Bernard got better at liming them up as the game went on. It is where no pre-season hurts him.

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

Correct but as I said straight away in the GDT thread a running back running off tackle should never have the corner be the only man in contain or the first contact. There was clearly an alignment mistake. 

Bernard got better at liming them up as the game went on. It is where no pre-season hurts him.

Kirksey going to start when healthy or do you think Bernard stays?

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

Alignment mistake or not, what should never happen or not, the play would have been a non-event had White not whiffed on making the tackle. DB's tackle RB's at every level of football, including the NFL. 

9 minutes ago, gjv said:

Alignment mistake or not, what should never happen or not, the play would have been a non-event had White not whiffed on making the tackle. DB's tackle RB's at every level of football, including the NFL. 

Yea but it wasn't the root cause of the play. That was like your backup generator failing after someone forgot to switch the main generator on. 

10 minutes ago, gjv said:

The alignment is the bigger issue.

White, who should have made the tackle, but was also put in a tough spot covering two gaps in that instance.

• Agree 3

17 hours ago, Simon said:

My guess is that this one falls on Bernard, who possibly didn't recognize the overload and didn't get them to slide up front.

And who also buried himself inside where Rousseau was being buried by a double and left Tre White isolated outside with contain responsibility.

Bernard, yes, and Hyde/Poyer, whom they also rely on to get the defense positioned.  The safeties should have seen this. 

50 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

The alignment is the bigger issue.

White, who should have made the tackle, but was also put in a tough spot covering two gaps in that instance.

This is where we disagree. From my perspective, you can have your defense in the ideal alignment, but if you can execute the basics, like tackling, the alignment doesn't matter very much.

55 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea but it wasn't the root cause of the play. That was like your backup generator failing after someone forgot to switch the main generator on. 

This is where we differ. From my perspective, if you can't perform the basic football fundamentals, there isn't an alignment that will help you succeed.

22 minutes ago, gjv said:

This is where we disagree. From my perspective, you can have your defense in the ideal alignment, but if you can execute the basics, like tackling, the alignment doesn't matter very much.

This is where we differ. From my perspective, if you can't perform the basic football fundamentals, there isn't an alignment that will help you succeed.

So you're perspective is putting your players in harder positions to succeed is less of a concern.  

White was covering two gaps.  As a coach, you want that?

Just now, GunnerBill said:

Covering two gaps and tackling a player in space is all at the same time is not a "basic football fundamental"

I don't have a replay, but from what I recall Tre had a clean shot but resorted to a poor arm tackle attempt.

7 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

So you're perspective is putting your players in harder positions to succeed is less of a concern.  

White was covering two gaps.  As a coach, you want that?

I don't have a replay, but from what I recall Tre had a clean shot but resorted to a poor arm tackle attempt.

Yeah. Let's all jump to brash conclusions. The knifes are out for Sean McDermott. The coach with the fifth best winning percentage of all 32 coaches.

I'm sure Pegula could fire McDermott and improve on the lousy fifth position with the scraps currently looking for employment. /sarc

This all has nothing to do with a totally "in over his head" MLB. /sarc

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.