Jets cap question?

clearwater cadet

9 minutes ago, clearwater cadet said:

Rodgers has 75 million in guarantees for 2023 and 2024.  If he is unable to recover are the Jets on the hooks for the entire amount?

They are in terms of the cap, but usually you have to be an active player in the league to get your guaranteed money. If he retires, I think they keep the cash, but their cap is hosed.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

They are in terms of the cap, but usually you have to be an active player in the league to get your guaranteed money. If he retires, I think they keep the cash, but their cap is hosed.

Do you think he’d retire and leave all that money on the table? He may be smug enough and wealthy enough to make that choice, but it would surprise me. 

I wonder if his ego will let him come back after a grueling surgery and rehab, and never be “himself” anymore. We’re not even sure who his was before last night.  He’s got plenty of ego. The money is guaranteed, it’s hard to pass on. I say money wins. When in doubt, follow the money. 

2 minutes ago, Augie said:

Do you think he’d retire and leave all that money on the table? He may be smug enough and wealthy enough to make that choice, but it would surprise me. 

I wonder if his ego will let him come back after a grueling surgery and rehab, and never be “himself” anymore. We’re not even sure who his was before last night.  He’s got plenty of ego. The money is guaranteed, it’s hard to pass on. I say money wins. When in doubt, follow the money. 

Apparently he was seriously considering retirement prior to this season with $50M there for him if he just showed up. I'm not sure he'll retire, but it wouldn't shock me.

3 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

Apparently he was seriously considering retirement prior to this season with $50M there for him if he just showed up. I'm not sure he'll retire, but it wouldn't shock me.

He’s talked about retiring every year for a while now. It’s the attention he craves, like with his public hallucinogens reports or the darkness retreat. He could do that without us knowing about it, but that’s who he is. I’m of the mind he comes back for the money, at least next year. Long recovery ahead of him, though. 

2 minutes ago, AuntieEm said:

Yea I don't think he'll retire as in his mind he earned that money when he got hurt on the job.  

Which he did. That’s how it works. 

3 minutes ago, Augie said:

He’s talked about retiring every year for a while now. It’s the attention he craves, like with his public hallucinogens reports or the darkness retreat. He could do that without us knowing about it, but that’s who he is. I’m of the mind he comes back for the money, at least next year. Long recovery ahead of him, though. 

Which he did. That’s how it works. 

Agree.  The fact they don't have adequate protection should not cost Aaron his money.  I'm not even sure he took anything more than a simple  standard tackle just his foot caught on something in turf to cause the injury.  

Apparently he was on the stretcher and asking trainers how soon they can start rehabbing because he's definitely coming back. Or maybe that was hopeful Jets fans banter that I came across.

Either way, my guess is he probably comes back. He doesn't usually play in the preseason anyways so there's a chance he could be ready for week 1 2024. He seems happy and rejuvenated in NY so I think he will give it another go. That would be a lot of guaranteed money to walk away from otherwise

1 minute ago, KDIGGZ said:

Apparently he was on the stretcher and asking trainers how soon they can start rehabbing because he's definitely coming back. Or maybe that was hopeful Jets fans banter that I came across.

Either way, my guess is he probably comes back. He doesn't usually play in the preseason anyways so there's a chance he could be ready for week 1 2024. He seems happy and rejuvenated in NY so I think he will give it another go. That would be a lot of guaranteed money to walk away from otherwise

In this regard they are fortunate that it didn’t come a few months down the road, but it’s still a punch in the gut! 

38 minutes ago, clearwater cadet said:

Rodgers has 75 million in guarantees for 2023 and 2024.  If he is unable to recover are the Jets on the hooks for the entire amount?

I dont even think the Jets know where they stand right now. Depends on how a lot of other things shake out.

Does AR just retire and walk away? Does he force an injury settlement? Does he try to play out his contract?

2 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I dont even think the Jets know where they stand right now. Depends on how a lot of other things shake out.

Does AR just retire and walk away? Does he force an injury settlement? Does he try to play out his contract?

If he doesn’t want to play, there will be an injury settlement. Nobody just walks away from that kind of money. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.