Bills at Jets 1990

Buffalo03

Last year I started a weekly thread of posting old Bills games against the upcoming opponent and where we are playing that opponent the coming week. Being at the Jets on Monday night this week, I am going with the Bills at Jets game from Monday Night Football back in week 3 of 1990. We killed the Jets in this one and Thurman was amazing. Hopefully it's the same performance from our Bills this week. Sit back, watch and enjoy and as always....Go Bills

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 4

The officiating is atrocious. Wow.

McKeller had a TD that he didn't get credit for.

Refs called a TD when the ball had clearly bounced off the ground (which I saw even in this grainy feed).

Lofton had a ghost PI called against him. "Pass interference 81"

Mark Kelso had a vicious headshot!!! for which he would be ejected in 2023. (rightfully, he knocked the receiver out, who was clearly dazed, announcers "oh yeah he's clearly OK."

"injury update: "MILD CONCUSSION, MIGHT RETURN"

Toon had a beautiful catch which was called not a catch.

All in the first quarter. 

Edited by MarkKelso'sHelmet
  • Like (+1) 1

The amazing feeling of Nostalgia watching these old games will never get old....what a time to grow up!

By far the most underrated aspect of the Super Bowl teams was the Offensive Line...it's also the thing that makes me the most nervous about our current team going all the way

My neighborhood used to do weekly Bills watch parties and everyone would take a turn hosting, my parents always picked the Night games because then they didn't have to worry about little kids being there and trashing the house LOL...but they always let me stay up and watch the games with the adults and for that I will always be thankful....I can't say I remember if this was a game they hosted or not but I have vivid memories of them hosting the MNF game against Miami the following year

That Marv sideline jacket he is wearing was a STAPLE in WNY for many years.  My childhood best friend had that jacket in kids size and although not really anymore, that is a jacket you would still see people wearing around WNY long after that era was over, maybe even right up until about 10 years ago I can still remember seeing that jacket occasionally make an appearance.

I totally forgot MNF games used to start at 9pm Eastern time....if that was the case today there's no way I would be able to make it through an entire game.  There's times even now I start dozing off by the 3rd quarter if it's not a Bills game

• Thank you (+1) 1

It must have been 1991 but I do recall watching clips of a very tight contest between the Bills and Jets from 90/91 at the old Giants Stadium.  I thought it was this game  at first.  

4 hours ago, BillsPride12 said:

The amazing feeling of Nostalgia watching these old games will never get old....what a time to grow up!

By far the most underrated aspect of the Super Bowl teams was the Offensive Line...it's also the thing that makes me the most nervous about our current team going all the way

My neighborhood used to do weekly Bills watch parties and everyone would take a turn hosting, my parents always picked the Night games because then they didn't have to worry about little kids being there and trashing the house LOL...but they always let me stay up and watch the games with the adults and for that I will always be thankful....I can't say I remember if this was a game they hosted or not but I have vivid memories of them hosting the MNF game against Miami the following year

That Marv sideline jacket he is wearing was a STAPLE in WNY for many years.  My childhood best friend had that jacket in kids size and although not really anymore, that is a jacket you would still see people wearing around WNY long after that era was over, maybe even right up until about 10 years ago I can still remember seeing that jacket occasionally make an appearance.

I totally forgot MNF games used to start at 9pm Eastern time....if that was the case today there's no way I would be able to make it through an entire game.  There's times even now I start dozing off by the 3rd quarter if it's not a Bills game

Yeah I recall when Kent Hull died in 2011 it was very bittersweet for me.  As a kid I really couldn't appreciate him then.  By the age I was in 2011 I was able to see how special a player and person he was.  Just too bad  his death was what made me research him like that 

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Buffalo03 said:

Last year I started a weekly thread of posting old Bills games against the upcoming opponent and where we are playing that opponent the coming week. Being at the Jets on Monday night this week, I am going with the Bills at Jets game from Monday Night Football back in week 3 of 1990. We killed the Jets in this one and Thurman was amazing. Hopefully it's the same performance from our Bills this week. Sit back, watch and enjoy and as always....Go Bills

At the 1:06 mark....Scott Norwood just squeezed one in from 48 yards....if only a few months later 😭

18 hours ago, Buffalo03 said:

Hey, wait a second. You posted this same game last year. What gives?! 😂 ;-)

14 hours ago, MarkKelso'sHelmet said:

The officiating is atrocious. Wow.

McKeller had a TD that he didn't get credit for.

Refs called a TD when the ball had clearly bounced off the ground (which I saw even in this grainy feed).

Lofton had a ghost PI called against him. "Pass interference 81"

Mark Kelso had a vicious headshot!!! for which he would be ejected in 2023. (rightfully, he knocked the receiver out, who was clearly dazed, announcers "oh yeah he's clearly OK."

"injury update: "MILD CONCUSSION, MIGHT RETURN"

Toon had a beautiful catch which was called not a catch.

All in the first quarter. 

Every game was like that in that era.  People have no clue how much officiating has improved due to reviews.   All those game changing plays they now get right.  

Edited by Matt_In_NH
  • Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, chongli said:

Hey, wait a second. You posted this same game last year. What gives?! 😂😉

I posted it again because it's a Monday Night Game, Ironically so I figured, why not?

On 9/9/2023 at 6:16 AM, Bills fan since 87 said:

Love these posts, thanks for doing it again!

No problem 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Matt_In_NH said:

Every game was like that in that era.  People have no clue how much officiating has improved due to reviews.   All those game changing plays they now get right.  

True. And what's wild too (instant replay was in its early stages) was how bad some of the camera angles were in 1990. They often couldn't get the calls right on replay because the camera views were not sharp. That aspect has improved a lot with the high def cameras. Now, we almost always have a great shot.

Edited by MarkKelso'sHelmet

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.