Who was the staring O-line group today?

Mooshocker12

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea I'd have thrown the flag personally. But all good.

I only saw it live and did not record the game so I couldn’t see a replay. To me it was clear Edwards made slight lateral (side) contact and nowhere near the back. But I can see in real time how an official may have seen it differently. I noticed Tasker immediately called BS.

33 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

He will need to play better than he has played in pre-season to be that. 

I just got NFL+ so I will be be watching the OL  closely with no more Bills for a couple weeks.

I’m a big Bates supporter. With OL unless you stand out I feel you’re doing your job. I never complain about Bates while watching. 

5 minutes ago, BuffaninSarasota said:

I only saw it live and did not record the game so I couldn’t see a replay. To me it was clear Edwards made slight lateral (side) contact and nowhere near the back. But I can see in real time how an official may have seen it differently. I noticed Tasker immediately called BS.

I think he blocked him clearly in the back. On was Cook already past that is a tight judgment call. Personally I'd have thrown the flag.

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

it ends up a 1v1 for Morse and he gets beat. 

6 hours ago, PrimeTime101 said:

Not only has Morse missed blocks, but he's screwed up blocking assignments... No one leaves a one tech DT alone to a Guard.

4 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Morse and Torrence had poor games in pass protection.

You fellas might want to look at that play a little closer.

I think there were mistakes on both sides of him and as a result Morse ended up isolated and engaged with both DTs by himself and actually held them both up just long enough to give Allen time to bail to his right. He gave himself up and made a good play to give his QB just enough time and space to escape.

5 minutes ago, Simon said:

You fellas might want to look at that play a little closer.

I think there were mistakes on both sides of him and as a result Morse ended up isolated and engaged with both DTs by himself and actually held them both up just long enough to give Allen time to bail to his right. He gave himself up and made a good play to give his QB just enough time and space to escape.

He was already beat by the first guy before the second guy engaged him. I agree he did enough to allow Josh to bail. I said that last night in the game thread - last year we didn't even give Josh time to bail when protection failed for the most part. On that play they did just enough to let him get out. Still a protection breakdown though. I put it mainly on Torrence.

35 minutes ago, BuffaninSarasota said:

If you have a clip of the replay I’d love to see it. I definitely saw it differently 

I’ll amend what I said earlier. I think that Sanborn wouldn’t have made the tackle because Cook had made a cut and that (trying to change directions) and Edwards’ hand on his back caused him to fall. But with a quick play like I can see why the refs called it a penalty.

16 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Brown was solid today.  Pretty clean in pass pro, and it seemed like he and Torrence got push in the run game.  I saw Morse get absolutely blown up a couple times though.  😬 

It's in Morse's DNA to get absolutely blown up from time to time.  I think Morse is a classic example of the kind of guy that McDermott wants several of.   He's the ultimate team player, he's a leader, he plays with his head - really smart.   Those attributes are so important to McDermott that he's willing to accept something less than spectacular physical skills.   That's why Klein is on the team, too.   

Every season, McDermott has some of these guys on the team.  Dane Jackson is another one.  And Bates.  They are physical underperformers, but McDermott seems to believe that their other contributions to the team are so valuable that he chooses to live with the underperformance.  

Whether McDermott is right or wrong about this, I don't know, but it seems pretty clear to me that that is how he manages his roster. 

• Like (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, BuffaninSarasota said:

If you have a clip of the replay I’d love to see it. I definitely saw it differently 

20230827-172358.jpg

My tech skills are not the best so had to try and pause my tv at the right second so apologise for picture quality. But there you can clearly see Edwards hands on the back of the Bear defender while Cook is still 3 yards away from them. 

That is a block in the back every day of the week. It is less ticky tacky looking at that than I thought at the time and I always thought it was a foul.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

It's in Morse's DNA to get absolutely blown up from time to time.  I think Morse is a classic example of the kind of guy that McDermott wants several of.   He's the ultimate team player, he's a leader, he plays with his head - really smart.   Those attributes are so important to McDermott that he's willing to accept something less than spectacular physical skills.   That's why Klein is on the team, too.   

Every season, McDermott has some of these guys on the team.  Dane Jackson is another one.  And Bates.  They are physical underperformers, but McDermott seems to believe that their other contributions to the team are so valuable that he chooses to live with the underperformance.  

Whether McDermott is right or wrong about this, I don't know, but it seems pretty clear to me that that is how he manages his roster. 

he's also the only center that can do a proper shotgun snap

• Agree 1

You guys are studying the oline and I am not, but it is very interesting to read this thread.   What it says is that the oline is in good shape, which is great.   Pretty much everyone went into the off-season believing (as I did) that offensive line was an area of large concern to the Bills.   For me it was the largest concern.   I haven't worried all that much about the #2 wideout or the #2 running back, because there always seem to be solutions kicking around at those positions.   And the Bills even picked up an edge rusher.

But offensive line was a real concern.   It seems from earlier this summer and from this thread and from other comments about the game that offensive guard has been solidified nicely, that Brown actually has picked it up since last season, and that there's some reasonably reliable depth.  The problem for Beane will be holding on to it. 

I have to admit, I don't even know who Edwards is, but when I've happened to notice him at guard or hear comments about him, my conclusion is the guy can play.  And Bates, and Anderson.   These guys may not be stars, but they all look like good football players.  

And sure, there are going to be plays where someone loses his one on one battle, which is what people are talking about in this thread, but unless you have a line full of all-stars, everyone is going to get beaten sometimes.  

Looking at it globally, I'm pleasantly surprised on how well the oline has come together.

3 minutes ago, nucci said:

he's also the only center that can do a proper shotgun snap

I don't know that for a fact, but it isn't surprising.  These guys whom McDermott likes are the guys who get the little things right a very high percentage of the time.   They don't blow the fundamentals of their assignment.  For Morse, it's get the line calls right, get the ball to Josh, and then do the best you can.

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

20230827-172358.jpg

My tech skills are not the best so had to try and pause my tv at the right second so apologise for picture quality. But there you can clearly see Edwards hands on the back of the Bear defender while Cook is still 3 yards away from them. 

That is a block in the back every day of the week. It is less ticky tacky looking at that than I thought at the time and I always thought it was a foul.

I appreciate you posting the photo. I’d really like to see it in real speed because I think the initial contact was from the side but as the defender fell he turned to his back side, hence the appearance of hands on the back. I also think Cook’s path took him away from the path the defender was on so any contact by Edwards was inconsequential.

5 minutes ago, BuffaninSarasota said:

I appreciate you posting the photo. I’d really like to see it in real speed because I think the initial contact was from the side but as the defender fell he turned to his back side, hence the appearance of hands on the back. I also think Cook’s path took him away from the path the defender was on so any contact by Edwards was inconsequential.

It wasn't. Here is the photo from the other angle of the contact. That is a block in the back. 

20230827-180216.jpg

• Agree 2

13 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

It’s just interesting whenever Spencer Brown plays well, you don’t hear a damn thing about him if he doesn’t play well there’s five threads

I think he played ok, not great…. He got pushed back multiple times more than he should have. I’d like to see him use his length more, meaning don’t get so deep on his drops where his back pedaling and slightly Bull rushed. Vs let them have the edge a little more and use your length to push them beyond the pocket vs pushed into the pocket.

Watch the play where Allen throws back to Gabe across the field and watch the TD run by Harris…. 

18 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Nah I think that play is on Torrence. He loses the inside instantly on the snap. Even if he is expecting help you don't let that pass rusher get inside leverage off the first step. Morse just gets bull rushed and can't hold up although I agree on that doesn't quite look like Edwards and Morse were in the same mind as to the assignment. But Morse's head never looks right so I don't think he was supposed to help Torrence. More likely he and Edwards were supposed to have some sort of combo going on, it ends up a 1v1 for Morse and he gets beat. 

Thought that was the only really breakdown by the first unit on their one drive. 

For the OP it basically went:

1st drive (left to right):

Dawkins Edwards Morse Torrence Brown

2nd drive (l to r):

Dawkins Edwards Bates Torrence Brown

3rd drive (l to r):

Quessenbery Boettger Bates Torrence Brown

And the the 4th drive they pulled Torrence and Brown with Kevin Jarvis (who knew he was a thing) going in at right guard and Alec Anderson at right tackle. Anderson got blown up a couple of times and they made the change to Van Demark at RT who started well but had a couple of breakdowns late on. 

Couple of things I noticed..... Brown was solid while the first team was out there but gave up a pressure on his final drive (final play) when a Bear edge rusher flew round the outside on 3rd down and Kyle Allen, about to get sacked, did one of his chuck up a lateral numbers... luckily Isabella caught it but for no gain. 

It was comfortably Ike Boettger's best outing in pre-season. Playing as the second left guard through in the rotation behind Edwards I thought he had a much better night. 

Didn't think Ryan Bates had his best peformance and it's been an odd pre-season for him. Lost his starting guard job to the rookie Torrence and then even when McGovern goes down isn't the next man up at guard. He has been a steady 2nd team center but last night he gave up a pressure on Allen and was responsible for a batted ball just before the interception where he disengaged his guy too early. 

We can always count on GB for a detailed breakdown.  Accuracy is always you’re friend.

The seasons coming GB. Are you ready?

I am.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.