Elam now CB4 and playing kickoff coverage in the preseason

Process

On 8/26/2023 at 4:04 PM, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

there are precisely ZERO teams going to trade an OT of any quality for a CB

or give you more than a 5th.

he's a very good player and is playing well.

Benford simply played better.   Can't have enough CBs .  Its a long season.  Keep him

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Billsflyer12 said:

IMO, Benford should be CB2a (based on last year before arm injury & play in preseason) 
Elam CB2b (based on a few strong performances last year)

with Dane a distant 4th  (we know who he is) 

Edited by Warriorspikes51

Just now, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

Jackson's advanced stats are good, but i felt like when a team needed a 3rd and long they'd go at dane.  

until the 1 play he made in preseason, I don't remember him ever turning around when he has good coverage.  Never seen so many completions in tight windows against a player. It's maddening 

Just now, Warriorspikes51 said:

until the 1 play he made in preseason, I don't remember him ever turning around when he has good coverage.  Never seen so many completions in tight windows against a player. It's maddening 

Just a hair late a bunch of times... when you're in that cover 3 or 4, you have to play behind the WR and disrupt the catch point because if you try and jump it and don't get it you're giving up a ton of free yards. 

I'm sure this has been discussed, but sometimes guys simply don't look good or show up in practice vs actual meaningful game action.

Reason I say this is obviously Elam was one of the few players that showed up for the Bengals playoff game and seems Elam made some crucial plays last year in limited action (i.e. Chiefs game/Mahomes endzone INT).

So the question remains, does this team continue to overvalue 'practice warriors' vs. real talent and results? Going back to the Nathan Peterman fiasco sure seems that way and the fact that Elam is behind guys like Benford and Jackson is very concerning.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Miami just traded 23yo former 30th overall pick CB Noah Igbinoghene (Auburn) to Dallas for 23yo former 44th overall pick CB Kelvin Joseph (LSU). Shows that there is some precedent for bailing on high-profile SEC corners living off draft pedigree while underperforming. I don't think this happens to Elam this year, but next year he could find himself in the exact same position as these two.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.