The 3 Kincaid catches- we have another elite weapon on o

JerseyBills

2 hours ago, NewEra said:

Did you really expect someone here to answer this for you? 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

Yes….. it describes how he looks when he moves.  

He has buttery hips.  It’s an adjective that describes his hips as being loose and the opposite of tight.  I’m sure you understand why having loose hips is advantageous for running routes.  It doesn’t make him great per se but it is a plus characteristic for someone running routes and after the catch

Ooh, that's good.  Thanks.  That's am actual physical characteristic.  I'm sure the scouts consider that.

I appreciate that I got an actual explanation.  That's what I wanted.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

No it isn't measurable. When people say Kincaid looks smooth they're not talking about some specific aspect of his player profile, it's just how he looks in everything he does. It's not an objective standard. Like the great Justice Potter Stewart said "I know it when I see it." If I was going to try and define it, it's the way each of his actions on a given play naturally transition into the next without a hint of stuttering. It's the same thing I said in my Kelce comparison earlier in the thread. He easily finds open space in man or zone coverage, catches the ball without trouble, and quickly starts moving in an open direction with the ball in his hand. But to the naked eye all of these actions happen simultaneously. It isn't find the opening in the defense, STOP, catch the ball, STOP, turn, STOP, run with the ball. It's all one fluid action. This particular skill set of his is a combination of physical and mental abilities - the fluidity of his hips plus his soft hands allow him to easily catch the ball and immediately start moving, his natural football instincts and understanding of leverage allow him to easily find an opening in the defense and maximize his run after catch.

I could gush about Kincaid all day. I haven't ever been this excited about a Bills rookie.

This is really good, thanks.  That's what I wanted to know. That's a great explanation of what people mean by the.  Obviously an important package of little physical skills.

Thanks.

• Like (+1) 1

Here's a paper about how people are must now beginning to study smoothness.  They say sports trainers recognize it, and it correlates with performance, but they don't really understand it.  It is the loose hips, fluid motion characteristics you guys described.  They don't know how to measure it, but people are working on trying understand it.

https://sportsmedicine-open.springeropen.com/articles/10.1186/s40798-019-0215-y

Thanks for getting me started.

• Thank you (+1) 2

On 8/23/2023 at 7:09 PM, BuffaloBillyG said:

He has the potential, for sure. It will be interesting to see how he responds when a defense schemes ways to try and take him out of the gameplan. It will be interesting to see how he develops his game over the season and into next year. There is definitely cause for excitement and optimism with him.

I'll also be watching closely how and what his usage is. How often Josh looks for him when there's a big moment in the game or if a play breaks down and Kincaid has to improvise. I don't care about his blocking as much. That's not what he's here for IMO. 

I'm also interested to see how he responds to his "welcome to the NFL" moment or moments. Will it drive him to get better or make him question his self confidence? 

While I agree he has the potential to be a truly special player in the NFL there is still a road to get there that he has yet to travel.

We should all HOPE that defenses actively "scheme ways to try and take him out of the gameplan." Get Allen cookin with his WRs and maybe move some safeties and/or LBs out of their ideal run fits. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

13 minutes ago, Richard Noggin said:

We should all HOPE that defenses actively "scheme ways to try and take him out of the gameplan." Get Allen cookin with his WRs and maybe move some safeties and/or LBs out of their ideal run fits. 

It’s going to be huge for our passing game having 2 unstoppable at times targets in Diggs and Kincaid.  Then add Cook out of the backfield as a receiving threat.  Teams are going to be forced to pick their poison.  Bracketing Diggs will result in mismatches vs Kincaid.  I like his chance of winning in the short passing game and I’ll be paying a lot of attention to who is covering him throughout the games/season.  He’s going to destroy LBs

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

19 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

Here's a paper about how people are must now beginning to study smoothness.  They say sports trainers recognize it, and it correlates with performance, but they don't really understand it.  It is the loose hips, fluid motion characteristics you guys described.  They don't know how to measure it, but people are working on trying understand it.

https://sportsmedicine-open.springeropen.com/articles/10.1186/s40798-019-0215-y

Thanks for getting me started.

I think it also is important to note that smoothness is not the same or even more so not the opposite of explosiveness...it's more someone is able to connect a lot of really tiny movements together, where they have control to adjust their movement at any point. Hopefully that makes sense.

It almost sounded like you were kind of thinking smooth referred to a lack or explosiveness, which is not the case with Kincaid...he's able to smoothly get his body in a variety of positions from which he can explode with suddenness...that versatility for explosion is something Von Miller has for example. It's how Josh Allen and especially Mahommes are able to adjust arm angle and still throw so effortless while having the ball just explode out of their hands.

Once more for good measure: explode

Edited by HardyBoy
  • Like (+1) 1

On 8/24/2023 at 7:39 PM, NewEra said:

It’s going to be huge for our passing game having 2 unstoppable at times targets in Diggs and Kincaid.  Then add Cook out of the backfield as a receiving threat.  Teams are going to be forced to pick their poison.  Bracketing Diggs will result in mismatches vs Kincaid.  I like his chance of winning in the short passing game and I’ll be paying a lot of attention to who is covering him throughout the games/season.  He’s going to destroy LBs

It's all dependent on the OLine holding up 🤞🤞

6 hours ago, HardyBoy said:

I think it also is important to note that smoothness is not the same or even more so not the opposite of explosiveness...it's more someone is able to connect a lot of really tiny movements together, where they have control to adjust their movement at any point. Hopefully that makes sense.

It almost sounded like you were kind of thinking smooth referred to a lack or explosiveness, which is not the case with Kincaid...he's able to smoothly get his body in a variety of positions from which he can explode with suddenness...that versatility for explosion is something Von Miller has for example. It's how Josh Allen and especially Mahommes are able to adjust arm angle and still throw so effortless while having the ball just explode out of their hands.

Once more for good measure: explode

Thanks, but no I wasn't confusing the two.  But you make a good point about smoothness facilitates explosiveness.  Not sure I'd put Allen on the list.  I wouldn't call him smooth.  But Miller for sure.

Different sport, but Ray Allen was smooth.

Thanks.  This discussion was interesting.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.