Do you think that we will ever be so advanced that we create eternal life?

Royale with Cheese

2 hours ago, dpberr said:

Agreed, but that's all voluntary exposure to the culture of the day. If you're living forever, you're going to live through the good and the bad.

If someone told me in 1990 about 2000-present, I'd probably say "eh, I'll pass on renewing that eternal life subscription."  

What is that person telling you exactly? Because life has only gotten easier since 1990.

If future someone told you the apocalypse starts in 50 years, then I get your point.

• Like (+1) 1

On 8/20/2023 at 12:35 AM, Royale with Cheese said:

So lets say, I don’t know, 50,000 thousand years from now.

We are possibly so advanced that we can create organs in labs and transfer your DNA to your new brain.  Kinda like changing out a car battery and reprogramming your radio.

Any failing organ can just be replaced…including skin.

Is it possible?

No, I think death is just a part of life and life can't ever be eternal. Might extend life for a period of time...or Maybe see people cloned over and over or whatnot. 

Even if you somehow turn into a vampire you will still die sometime or other. Not sure if anyone would want to be here forever in the first place lol

• Like (+1) 1

On 8/20/2023 at 11:47 AM, 4merper4mer said:

Infinite is a long time.  The universe is not infinite as near as we can tell so I’ll go with no.  If we’re taking “unimaginably long” rather than infinite I’ll make a gues.  It seems to me that there are three possibilities:

1. “Cure” the aging process

2. Master  replacing each and every one of the billions of moving parts that could cause moving toward death.

3. Find a way to transfer consciousness to synthetic devices.

Items 1 and 3 seem far more likely/practical to me than item 2.  Does either really fulfill the requirement though?  A person who doesn’t age could still get hit by a bus.  A synthetic device could still be subject to the need for energy.

Overall I’ll go with this not being achieved but won’t call it impossible.  

Regarding your 3rd possibility.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnbc.com/amp/2022/04/08/elon-musk-humans-could-eventually-download-their-brains-into-robots.html

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.marca.com/en/lifestyle/celebrities/2022/07/29/62e4032a268e3e9c338b45bb.html

They already have neuralinks in chimps. There's a video somewhere of a 9 year old chimp playing pong using only it's brain to move the paddle. Well at least gamers won't have to buy controllers in the future lol.

2 hours ago, Patrick Duffy said:

No, I think death is just a part of life and life can't ever be eternal. Might extend life for a period of time...or Maybe see people cloned over and over or whatnot. 

I think so too.  Some do it beautifully and a some do it kicking and screaming.  It's inevitable.   Programmed cell death and all that.  Carpe diem.

Edited by Joe Ferguson forever

On 8/22/2023 at 12:19 PM, Augie said:

Just 100 years ago the automobile was starting to becoming popular in this country. Now we are driving remote control science labs around on Mars. Just 120 years ago the Wright brothers first took flight. It wasn’t too long after that that men walked on the moon.  School kids walk around with cell phones that hold much of the knowledge of mankind. I could not have imagined that when I was their age. 

What might we be capable of in another 100 years? In 1,000 years? I would not be so quick to rule out what might be possible. 

I will be.   First off, the concept of 'living for eternity', as we currently know it in the non-afterlife sense, is fanciful, but nobody who thinks it through could possibly want that.  Odds are infinity to one that there won't even be a place to exist in this eternity, then what for the rest of all time- earth certainly won't be here. 

Have you seen this planet?   Given its time to shine, it's stunningly beautiful in so many ways and locations.  Making Ice Planet Hoth habitable, where we're looking for any scrap of water in the hopes to grow literally anything edible, vs. just taking care of what we've got- glaringly gorgeous, built amazingly for our existence, under our feet and in our nostrils, is astoundingly ridiculous.  

I'm all for imaginative thinking, but when it crosses over into an excuse to trash my air, water, and the attainable beauty of this planet, then it's more stupid than imaginative.  

On 8/22/2023 at 6:38 AM, Royale with Cheese said:

When you woke up this morning, did someone kick you right in the balls or something?

I've kinda had to wade through stupid people trying to kick me in the balls for much of my life.  You'll miss by at least a few miles. 

On 8/22/2023 at 5:50 AM, BringMetheHeadofLeonLett said:

Think about, what we worldly know, about eternal life.  Over the course of 'eternity', our Earth, and all the attempts we try to make Mars a new home, are just ego-hopehull-bull####. 

There's zero probability humanity can turn Mars into a more hospitable planet than Earth- it's just stupid people dreaming about things, really. 

god bless us one and all. 

I was responding to your assertion that Mars is an impossible goal for “stupid people” to dream about, and you responded about the premise of eternity. You can’t just change the topic like that and not expect a response. 

I’m not even sure the universe will last for eternity, therefore humanity stands no chance of eternity. But I’m just stupid enough to not rule out what mankind might accomplish while we are still around. 

2 hours ago, BringMetheHeadofLeonLett said:

I've kinda had to wade through stupid people trying to kick me in the balls for much of my life.  You'll miss by at least a few miles. 

You're not doing a very good job of wading because you're still getting kicked.

Brian Cox, PhD in Particle Physics from the University of Manchester, believes it's possible.  Let me guess...he's stupid

https://www.iflscience.com/professor-brian-cox-predicts-it-wont-be-long-before-humankind-achieves-immortality-44111

"I don't think people's minds are different from computers because that would imply there's something non-physical about them," he continued.

True (or strong) AI – machines that are at least as capable and flexible as humans – is possible, he says, according to the laws of quantum mechanics. But we're not quite at a point where we can build the equivalent of a human brain on a computer just yet. "I think we are at a cockroach level of simulating the nervous system right now."

Another believer in the death-defying powers of technology is Ray Kurzweil, Google's Director of Engineering. In an interview with Slate in 2013, he told reporters, “I think I have a good chance – I would put it at 80 percent – of getting to the point where [life] becomes indefinite, because you’ll be adding more time than is going by to your remaining life expectancy.” 

By 2045, he predicts, we'll be able to effectively "back up" our consciousness onto a cloud, allowing us to live forever. And it is worth remembering that this is a man with a prediction success rate of 86 percent. 

For now, it all sounds like something out of a certain Black Mirror episode. Then again, it wouldn't be

On 8/25/2023 at 5:29 AM, Augie said:

I was responding to your assertion that Mars is an impossible goal for “stupid people” to dream about, and you responded about the premise of eternity. You can’t just change the topic like that and not expect a response. 

I’m not even sure the universe will last for eternity, therefore humanity stands no chance of eternity. But I’m just stupid enough to not rule out what mankind might accomplish while we are still around. 

Since this was the only post I had in the topic, I'm assuming this is the one where I didn't refer to eternity?

"Think about, what we worldly know, about eternal life.  Over the course of 'eternity', our Earth, and all the attempts we try to make Mars a new home, are just ego-hopehull-bull####. 

There's zero probability humanity can turn Mars into a more hospitable planet than Earth- it's just stupid people dreaming about things, really. 

god bless us one and all. "

Please, I didn't just piss-ant change my stance, I thought the entire concept was poorly thought out from A to Zinc. 

Want a truly scary conversation, let's talk about what eternal life looks like in the planet/galaxy/universe in which we currently reside.  Don't blame me, look at the one who's romanticizing eternity on a melting ice cube.  

On 8/25/2023 at 5:30 AM, Royale with Cheese said:

You're not doing a very good job of wading because you're still getting kicked.

Brian Cox, PhD in Particle Physics from the University of Manchester, believes it's possible.  Let me guess...he's stupid

https://www.iflscience.com/professor-brian-cox-predicts-it-wont-be-long-before-humankind-achieves-immortality-44111

"I don't think people's minds are different from computers because that would imply there's something non-physical about them," he continued.

True (or strong) AI – machines that are at least as capable and flexible as humans – is possible, he says, according to the laws of quantum mechanics. But we're not quite at a point where we can build the equivalent of a human brain on a computer just yet. "I think we are at a cockroach level of simulating the nervous system right now."

Another believer in the death-defying powers of technology is Ray Kurzweil, Google's Director of Engineering. In an interview with Slate in 2013, he told reporters, “I think I have a good chance – I would put it at 80 percent – of getting to the point where [life] becomes indefinite, because you’ll be adding more time than is going by to your remaining life expectancy.” 

By 2045, he predicts, we'll be able to effectively "back up" our consciousness onto a cloud, allowing us to live forever. And it is worth remembering that this is a man with a prediction success rate of 86 percent. 

For now, it all sounds like something out of a certain Black Mirror episode. Then again, it wouldn't be

Okay, we're going to go into levels which go beyond your little google people- there is no such thing as eternal or indefinite in the actual realms of existences quite finite in computational terms, a.k.a. your, and my, life. 

Please pass this along to your friends, so they can get some sleep and comfort themselves knowing that they thought of things.  

Dearly beloved
We are gathered here today to get through this thing called "life"
Electric word, life, it means forever and that's a mighty long time
But I'm here to tell you, this is something else
The afterworld
A world of never-ending happiness
You can always see the sun, day or night
So when you call up that shrink in Beverly Hills
You know the one, Dr. Everything'll-Be-Alright
Instead of asking him how much of your time is left
Ask him how much of your mind, babe
'Cause in this life, things are much harder in the afterworld
In this life, you're on your own
And if de-elevator tries to bring you down
Go crazy, punch a higher floor (woo!)...

Little Billy was the fattest kid in his class
Always the last in line
All the other little kids would laugh at him
Said he'd die before his time

Ha ha ha ha
Ha ha ha ha
Little Billy didn't mind

Most of the kids smoked cigarettes
Just to prove that they were cool
The teacher didn't know about the children's games
And Billy always followed the rules

Ha ha ha ha
Ha ha ha ha
Little Billy didn't mind

Billy was big on the outside
But there's an even bigger man inside
Ten million cigarettes burning every day
And Billy's still doing fine

Now Billy and his classmates are middle-aged
With children of their own
Their smoking games are reality now
And cancer's seed is sown

Ha ha ha ha
Ha ha ha ha
Little Billy's didn't mind

Most of them smoke maybe forty a day
A habit Billy doesn't share
One by one they're passing away
Leaving orphans to Billy's care

Ha ha ha ha
Ha ha ha ha
Ha ha ha ha
Little Billy doesn't mind

Ha ha ha ha
Ha ha ha ha
Little Billy's doing fine

14 minutes ago, BringMetheHeadofLeonLett said:

I'm not trying to shoot you down, or be mean, but I'll be damned if I look at the concept of some software engineers trying to define existence.  ***** them all. 

Thank you for correcting me.  I thought Brian Cox was a world renowned Physicist and a Professor at the University of Manchester.  But he's only a Software Engineer.

He has no business talking about anything related to physics and definitely below you in this topic.  

Did you even read what you posted... 'not even at cockroach level'.

Now I may be derailing a bit based on your thread title about eternal life, but you made the thread, literally about eternal life.  

Even the great Brian Cox of Manchester ain't backing that one up. 

So to answer:  Do you think that we will ever be so advanced that we create eternal life?

No. 

41 minutes ago, BringMetheHeadofLeonLett said:

Did you even read what you posted... 'not even at cockroach level'.

Now I may be derailing a bit based on your thread title about eternal life, but you made the thread, literally about eternal life.  

Even the great Brian Cox of Manchester ain't backing that one up. 

So to answer:  Do you think that we will ever be so advanced that we create eternal life?

No. 

Great.  I didn't say were are close to that advanced yet, I even said 50,000 years in my original OP.  How much as medicine advanced in the last 20 years?

In 49,980 years we won't advance dramatically more?  We won't go above cockroach level?

It was just an interesting topic I decided to make at thread about.  

Everyone but you came in this thread like an angry teen with a chip on his shoulder.  

We are possibly so advanced that we can create organs in labs and transfer your DNA to your new brain.  Kinda like changing out a car battery and reprogramming your radio.

Is it possible?

If you feel like an old fuddy-duddy now, imagine being around a few thousand years.

On 8/30/2023 at 6:54 AM, Royale with Cheese said:

Great.  I didn't say were are close to that advanced yet, I even said 50,000 years in my original OP.  How much as medicine advanced in the last 20 years?

In 49,980 years we won't advance dramatically more?  We won't go above cockroach level?

It was just an interesting topic I decided to make at thread about.  

Everyone but you came in this thread like an angry teen with a chip on his shoulder.  

There is absolutely nowhere to exist in your eternal life posit, so no, it's not all that interesting .  In the end, anything we can 'hop to' is going to go away- there is an infinite hole after that point.   The only thing vaguely concrete is spiritual belief in the face of that reality.

The only answer I know for sure is that, I don't know.  

Is it possible?

The answer is "yes," for sure, providing we don't destroy ourselves first.

It won't be organic "eternal life" however.  Your brain will be downloaded into a computer type device and that is what will live forever...it's the only part of "you" that matters, anyway.

All manner of mind blowing things will be possible once we figure out AI.

Some of the leading researchers in that field (probably biased, I know) think this could be as near as 10 years.

I think it will take more time than that.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.