Any Howard Stern fans?

Another Fan

I lived in the lower Hudson Valley throughout the 1980s.  My job involved a lot of driving, and Howard was must listen for me in those days.  There were times I took an extra turn or two to catch the rest of a segment to the break.   Rented his pay per view, read his book etc.  

I’m in the camp of thinking he stopped being funny quite a while ago.  Probably a natural thing when you’re worth several hundred million and realize you’re best known for sophomoric humor and you haven’t been a sophomore for 50 years. 

Still a great interviewer though. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I know he got insanely rich going to Sirius, but he pretty much ceased existing to me since I don't subscribe.

What's amazing is how readily available his shows are without subscription. They're on YouTube within minutes after every show. Multiple channels for options.

And there are pirate life streams. 

His show was still very good on Sirius, and was becoming more PC in the years before Covid, but broadcasting from his basement was the final nail in the coffin for me.  Gave up the sirius package that he was a part of a year and a half ago or so. 

I take it he is still doing a remote broadcast from there? Talk about mailing it in while making millions per year

• Like (+1) 1

I wish I could post my fav bits but I'll probably get banned.

The Stuttering John interviews would always crack me up.

John: Oh hey I'm a huge fan, can I ask you a couple questions?

Celebrity: Yeah, sure. 

John: Ok, great. Who are you and what do you do that makes you famous?

Edited by Fr. Jerk

17 minutes ago, Fr. Jerk said:

I wish I could post my fav bits but I'll probably get banned.

The Stuttering John interviews would always crack me up.

John: Oh hey I'm a huge fan, can I ask you a couple questions?

Celebrity: Yeah, sure. 

John: Ok, great. Who are you and what do you do that makes you famous?

Nicholas cage.  🤣

I listened in the back end of his radio days.  Then I went to Sirius.  His channels were a really cool thing for the time.  I thought it was a really good show for awhile.  Got repetitive in the later Artie days and suffered a bit more after he left and nobody filled that role.  Sirius was quickly made obsolete by internet clouds, radio, and podcasts, they made it a huge pain to keep my bargain price and I ditched it 10ish years ago and havent heard Howard since

Turned over to stern this evening. He has a guy calling in asking about his girlfriend... A trams woman.

Stern was incredibly polite and encouraging to the guy vs make any type of jokes, not even about trans. A guy called in pretending to be the guys girlfriend. 

Still, it was dull. 30 years ago he would have had jokes for days that still wouldn't go beyond the limits of modern cancel culture.

38 minutes ago, boyst said:

Turned over to stern this evening. He has a guy calling in asking about his girlfriend... A trams woman.

Stern was incredibly polite and encouraging to the guy vs make any type of jokes, not even about trans. A guy called in pretending to be the guys girlfriend. 

Still, it was dull. 30 years ago he would have had jokes for days that still wouldn't go beyond the limits of modern cancel culture.

I recall and this has to be 20 years ago already (wow) the subject of that topic came up on his show.  He made a joke there should just be a separate bathroom with a big question mark for transgender people.  It got laughs from Artie and the crew

Time has changed 

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Another Fan said:

I recall and this has to be 20 years ago already (wow) the subject of that topic came up on his show.  He made a joke there should just be a separate bathroom with a big question mark for transgender people.  It got laughs from Artie and the crew

Time has changed 

They constantly ribbed Nicole Bass and her indeterminate gender.

Fred imitating her voice that would go James Earl Jones deep mid sentence never got old.

• Haha (+1) 1

• 6 months later...

I dropped Sirius a few years ago so I haven't listened to Howard in awhile, but a friend sent this to me yesterday.  Howard has always been a huge Rush detractor...hater would probably be a better word.

But he just gave a rave review of Geddy Lee's new autobiography "My 'Effin Life"

The story about Geddy's parents meeting, falling in love and eventually getting married in a WWII concentration camp is quite a story.  The chapter describing what his parents went through in the concentration camp is tough to read.  As is the chapter about Neil's cancer diagnosis and passing.

Even if you aren't a Rush fan it is a great read.

Edited by BillsFanNC
  • Like (+1) 1

I actually thought of this thread and confidentially it got bumped.  Some old clips of Bettlejuice and his manager Sean I watched last night that were making me laugh….

I’ll give Howard credit for being able to get information out of his guests nobody else does or can.  But he’s still too much of a fake for me these days.  But then again I remember he used to have his News segments on the end of each show when he was on FM radio.  My thought was for a guy that dislikes celebrities so much he sure does know a lot about them.

My point being maybe he never really changed and this is the person he always aspired to be,  

• Like (+1) 1

I didn't discover him until he was on Sirius. Some of his comedy was really original and fresh. I still laugh about Pastor David Manning.

In a seemingly perpetual accident of timing, he always seemed to be at his most potty mouthed when I had my kids in the car. The window of time when I could listen seem to shrink.

Now that he's old enough enough to be a grandfather, i find it rather unseemly for a man his age to be discussing the sordid details of bodily fluids in a celebrity sex tape. I eventually cancelled my Sirius subscription as I am retired now and drive a lot less.

I was the biggest die-hard HS fan since the beginning, however, i cancelled my Sirius/XM subscription a couple years ago cause i lost interest.....there were just no fresh ideas and the show became a podcast of sorts and seemed to have "lost" something in their transition from the studio to their homes.

• Agree 1