Family Politics

Family Politics  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Have you/would you cut your friends and/or family out of your life because of their politics?

• Yes
    • No
    • Undecided

Just now, The Frankish Reich said:

Somehow I thought "courageous" would mean we play on with the sponsors and participants we still have. "Courageously retreats."

Ah, you are implying the old "brave Sir Robin" approach?

sir-robin-ran-away.gif

But seriously, Poyer says he cancelled it because he knew that cancelling it would start a discussion.  Take that however you choose. 

• Haha (+1) 1

On 6/28/2023 at 11:40 AM, Chris farley said:

Blood is thicker than water.

Not a chance.

But put extra effort into not triggering the TV watching DEM in the family that thinks everything is MAGA and a conspiracy.

If/when the conversation gets around to politics, I usually say " so, how bout those Bills?" Most often people get the hint and change the subject.

• Like (+1) 4

7 minutes ago, Tenhigh said:

But seriously, Poyer says he cancelled it because he knew that cancelling it would start a discussion.

I'm pretty sure the discussion would be more spirited if the event went forward ...

... and on the larger issue: I am no Trump fan, and while I'm just not into boycotts of any kind, all things being equal I'd probably avoid staying/playing at a Trump-branded property since I'd rather not enrich him even by a fraction of a cent. But I wouldn't be bothered if Poyer had decided to go forward with the tournament at Doral.

By the way: I've been to Doral in the summer. Brutal. Just brutal. I think I'd rather be invited to the Buffalo Winter Solstice Golf Tournament.

Edited by The Frankish Reich

17 minutes ago, Tenhigh said:

We are also people.  Its the most important thing we have in common.

Assuming this is a joke?  Most here I think if we met at a tailgate would contribute.   Bills fans are generally like that, it's the reason we have so many fat alcoholics in our fanbase, including me!

Indeed we are. Well maybe not that animal @BillStime.  That doesn't change the fact that there are people in this world who I have zero interest in associating with.  Ever.  Some of them are Bills fans who post here in PPP.  Now it takes knowing a little about them first before coming to that conclusion, but in many cases it doesn't take knowing much beyond what they may say here or in public. 

Unfortunately reality tells us that there are some truly awful people in this world.  For example there are some here who will at best turn the other cheek, no pun intended, to grown men exposing themselves to kids.  Pure evil.

7 minutes ago, BillStime said:

Karen Psyop is obsessed about grown men “exposing themselves” but is awfully quiet about those who actually  do

A discussion of Jordan Poyer's aborted golf tournament may make us ordinary people think about many things (maybe even "abortion"), but it takes a special kind of obsessive to always steer the conversation to sex. Now who exactly is the sex obsessive here? And couldn't children be reading this forum and perusing his "special collection" of Folsom St photos?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

2 hours ago, Tenhigh said:

Bumping with a topical article containing Poyer's recent saga from the BN.  This is a good read, whether you agree with him or not.  

https://buffalonews.com/sports/bills/im-not-going-to-stand-down-anymore-jordan-poyer-plans-to-keep-talking/article_e1517d18-1550-11ee-999e-436caaff9fa6.html

Thanks to those that voted.  I'd love to see votes from some of our other posters on their stance.  @The Frankish Reich @Doc Brown @Tiberius

Not sure why you want my take as the only part of me that leans left with the Dems is their approach to health care and education.  Especially the former.  Both just happen to be the issues I care most about.  I agree with the right when it comes to taxes, de-regulation, immigration, gun control (with some exceptions), more police, strong military, less government assistance to able bodied workers, and a lot of the culture issues (I despise CRT theory being part of any curriculum, transgenderism would be better treated as a mental illness, etc.).

As far as Poyer goes (who I've always liked), I agree with almost everything he said in the article but I don't think it's a coincidence he chose a Trump (the most polarizing figure in America) owned golf course with over 1,200 other golf courses in Florida for his charity event.  He seems like an intelligent person so he had to know that backlash was coming.  He could've gotten his message across and still raised money for charity at another golf course.  To answer the poll question, I refuse to let family or friends political views get in the way of our relationships no matter how wrong they are.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Doc Brown said:

Not sure why you want my take as the only part of me that leans left with the Dems is their approach to health care and education.  Especially the former.  Both just happen to be the issues I care most about.  I agree with the right when it comes to taxes, de-regulation, immigration, gun control (with some exceptions), more police, strong military, less government assistance to able bodied workers, and a lot of the culture issues (I despise CRT theory being part of any curriculum, transgenderism would be better treated as a mental illness, etc.).

As far as Poyer goes (who I've always liked), I agree with almost everything he said in the article but I don't think it's a coincidence he chose a Trump (the most polarizing figure in America) owned golf course with over 1,200 other golf courses in Florida for his charity event.  He seems like an intelligent person so he had to know that backlash was coming.  He could've gotten his message across and still raised money for charity at another golf course.  To answer the poll question, I refuse to let family or friends political views get in the way of our relationships no matter how wrong they are.

That's exactly why I wanted your take. It's reasoned and honest.  Thanks!

4 hours ago, BillStime said:

Karen Psyop is obsessed about grown men “exposing themselves” but is awfully quiet about those who actually  do:

Do you want to add some value to the discussion?  I see that you voted that you would never cut anyone out of your life for their politics, would you care to elaborate?

• Like (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, Tenhigh said:

Do you want to add some value to the discussion?  I see that you voted that you would never cut anyone out of your life for their politics, would you care to elaborate?

Excuse me?  Alex, I'll take things Tenhigh would never say to his fellow MAGA nutters.

jfc

7 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

By the way: I've been to Doral in the summer. Brutal. Just brutal. I think I'd rather be invited to the Buffalo Winter Solstice Golf Tournament.

We have family that insisted for years to go to Orlando in August.  We'd meet them there and I'd play golf while my wife would go to the parks with the kids.  I thought I'd die one day playing a Disney Course one late afternoon despite lots of water..  Midday could definitely hurt you physically...

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, redtail hawk said:

We have family that insisted for years to go to Orlando in August.  We'd meet them there and I'd play golf while my wife would go to the parks with the kids.  I thought I'd die one day playing a Disney Course one late afternoon despite lots of water..  Midday could definitely hurt you physically...

Doral is just far enough inland that it gets zero benefit from the cooler Atlantic waters. Just steam rising from the marshes. A truly miserable place in summer.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BillStime said:

Excuse me?  Alex, I'll take things Tenhigh would never say to his fellow MAGA nutters.

jfc

This is literally the question I asked everyone in the OP.  The whole world is not against you bud, I am just trying to understand people a little better.

48 minutes ago, Tenhigh said:

This is literally the question I asked everyone in the OP.  The whole world is not against you bud, I am just trying to understand people a little better.

There is nothing left we have in common.  

That idiot is deflecting from Trans Radicals in the schools by saying the Catholic Church is worse.  

And should be shut down.  

He’s not alone in his warped world view.  

Here, they are harmless loons.  But they elect people like them - that are doubling down on all the crazy: