Buffalo Sabres and NHL 2023-2024

Draconator

greetings hockey fans. So a game tonight in Columbus. I will be watching and hopefully bumping the thread with a Victory dance. Stay Tuned 🙂

Feb232024

🏒 Buffalo Sabres @ Columbus Blue Jackets4:00 PM - 7:00 PM PSTNationwide Arena

it is impossible to be an NHL fan without full NHL access. Before ESPN plus I saw the Sabres almost Never. A very few games live in the duck pond.

My first exposure was as a young adult 1977ish. The French Connection Gilbert Perreault, Rick Martin, Rene Robert. Once I left WNY as mentioned my access went dry. Until recently.

Go Sabres 🙂

Edited by muppy
  • Like (+1) 2

16 hours ago, BillsPride12 said:

That's the Sabres hockey I miss watching 😢

Same here! And it has nothing to do with the fighting (for me). It’s about how that team was built, and how they always stuck up for each other.

That post-lockout team was soooo fun to watch! It was like they were tailor-made for the new rules after the lockout. That team should have won a Stanley cup. I still think about what could have been if things worked out differently with Drury and Briere…

had we signed both of them, chances are we would have taken the oilers FOUR 1st round picks from their offer sheet on Vanek. Those first round picks ended up being #12 overall, #10 overall, #1 overall, #1 overall.

Now, maybe with Vanek that is slightly different but Edmonton did offer sheet Dustin Penner after the Vanek offer sheet failed. Penner was a good player too.

And Edmonton finished last by a wide enough margin in 2010 and 2011 that I don’t see Vanek changing that (especially since Penner put up better stats in 2010 than Vanek).

Imagine that 2007 team getting to add 4 extra mid/high 1st round picks to the roster! Especially back then when ownership wasn’t willing to spend big to bring in free agents.

42 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

Same here! And it has nothing to do with the fighting (for me). It’s about how that team was built, and how they always stuck up for each other.

That post-lockout team was soooo fun to watch! It was like they were tailor-made for the new rules after the lockout. That team should have won a Stanley cup. I still think about what could have been if things worked out differently with Drury and Briere…

had we signed both of them, chances are we would have taken the oilers FOUR 1st round picks from their offer sheet on Vanek. Those first round picks ended up being #12 overall, #10 overall, #1 overall, #1 overall.

Now, maybe with Vanek that is slightly different but Edmonton did offer sheet Dustin Penner after the Vanek offer sheet failed. Penner was a good player too.

And Edmonton finished last by a wide enough margin in 2010 and 2011 that I don’t see Vanek changing that (especially since Penner put up better stats in 2010 than Vanek).

Imagine that 2007 team getting to add 4 extra mid/high 1st round picks to the roster! Especially back then when ownership wasn’t willing to spend big to bring in free agents.

It hurts to think about what could have been.  But yeah that 2006 team in particular was awesome.  I really thought they could go all the way that year(which is really the only time in my life I thought that about a Buffalo sports team besides going into the 2022 Bills season but by the time the season was winding down I knew it wasn't going to happen) and I still think they would've won the Cup that year if we didn't lose half of our Defensemen in the playoffs.  Losing McKee before game 7 against the Canes was the final nail in the Coffin.  I remember even after they lost that Game 7 how incredibly thankful the fans were for that season.  Nobody was complaining they lost, everybody understood the situation they were up against.  I watched Game 7 at Buffalo Wild Wings and after it was over I'll never forget everybody chanting "Thank You Sabres"  I miss the love affair Buffalo had for that team.  The passion, the energy, the excitement, RJ still in his prime.  Ryan Miller said it best when he came back for his jersey retirement "That was the right type of team for that type of town" 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, muppy said:

another DUB 🙂 Nice way to spend a Friday night. 😎

There were a lot of ⚔️ fans at the game (always are when they play here in CBus). Too bad this game didn’t mean anything for either team because it was a fun atmosphere. Went with a big group of mostly Buffalo people but also ran into others I knew and a bunch others I met for the first time! 

Us Buffalo spots fans are a special breed, that’s for sure. We’re all the same. There’s really no such thing as a “fair weather” Buffalo fan….We can ramble off fringe roster players from the Bills or Sabres from 20+ years ago . I can recite our record from any given year like math flash cards, yet I can’t remember what time my kids hockey game is…😂🤦🏻‍♂️ 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

On 2/23/2024 at 10:43 PM, billsfanmiamioh said:

There were a lot of ⚔️ fans at the game (always are when they play here in CBus). Too bad this game didn’t mean anything for either team because it was a fun atmosphere. 

The game didn't mean anything?

There are still 23 games left, a winning streak could get them back in the wild card race. I hope they don't share your pessimism.

Sabres win!!!

5 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

That and win 3 consecutive games.

Yes

First time this year.....keep it up boys

9 hours ago, muppy said:

Fun game to watch. WINNER!~!~!!!

That's 3 in a row 🎉😎💃🏿

Its a great time for Sabres to get hot!  Lets go Buffalo!

Sabres on the warpath!  Oooh!  Aaah!

1 hour ago, Pete said:

Its a great time for Sabres to get hot!  Lets go Buffalo!

Sabres on the warpath!  Oooh!  Aaah!

the fan interest was low for a while it seemed. Especially at the end of football season. Anyway I would love nothing more than the team go on a run and make game watches and  the fans even here online more active. 🍿

war path indeed. lol  

Wouldn't it be better if the Sabres lost at this point. They are not making the playoffs so losing and getting a higher draft pick and maybe winning the draft lottery is the better option. The Sabres should follow what my Islanders are doing and lose games. Of course, the Isles aren't trying to lose they just flat-out suck.

Just now, Gregg said:

Wouldn't it be better if the Sabres lost at this point. They are not making the playoffs so losing and getting a higher draft pick and maybe winning the draft lottery is the better option. The Sabres should follow what my Islanders are doing and lose games. Of course, the Isles aren't trying to lose they just flat-out suck.

well that is the ultimate goal. So if those chances are all but gone you may be right. It's one way to think about it.  thanks