The Las Vegas A's are coming in 2027

Draconator

6 hours ago, BillsPride12 said:

How come Oakland can't hang on to any of it's teams anymore?

It isn’t Oakland that can’t hang onto any it’s teams anymore? This had very little to do with the loyal fans anymore than Buffalo, San Diego, Seattle NBA, Los Angeles, San Diego, Oakland and St Louis NFL losing there teams. This is about the toxic political and business environment in those cities at that time. The owner also plays a part but it has very little to do about the actual fans it has never been about the fans in these things. I am sure over the passage of time the large cities like Seattle NBA, San Diego, Oakland and St Louis will get another chance in the NBA or NFL at the expense of a current league member or expansion. 

Edited by I am leaving for good

1 hour ago, I am leaving for good said:

It isn’t Oakland that can’t hang onto any it’s teams anymore? This had very little to do with the loyal fans anymore than Buffalo, San Diego, Seattle NBA, Los Angeles, San Diego, Oakland and St Louis NFL losing there teams. This is about the toxic political and business environment in those cities at that time. The owner also plays a part but it has very little to do about the actual fans it has never been about the fans in these things. I am sure over the passage of time the large cities like Seattle NBA, San Diego, Oakland and St Louis will get another chance in the NBA or NFL at the expense of a current league member or expansion. 

Buffalo lost it's Braves to San Diego because the Celtics owner wanted to move the Celtics to West Coast. The NBA will not do that... So Buffalo was the patsy. The League brokered a deal for both owners to swap teams. The Braves then moved to San Diego.

***** the NBA.

Then the League admits the Dallas Mavericks as an expansion time. Has everything to do with screwing Buffalo at it's most vulnerable time in its history. 

Left the market open for the Raptors to come in a decade+ later...

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

A's fan here.  I have mixed emotions on this.  Been a fan since late 80's.  It's tough to see what the team has become.  The downfall started when Al Davis made them build the monstrosity stands in center field.  The coliseum had a tremendous view before that and was quite nice looking.  Then they build that ugly thing and the whole atmosphere changed.  Fast forward to the current owner and his living out of the movie plot to Major League, except it actually worked.  I hate support this jerk, but it's my team.  Hopefully he'll actually spend some money now, but if they change their nickname from the A's to something new, I'm out and going to the Orioles.

Edited by Mark80

19 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Would they still be called the Athletics?

I sure hope not because as an A's fan this angers me, I mean I understand but still sickening with the tradition built in Oakland shouldn't just go with them to Vegas.  I mean the field in Oakland is called Rickey Henderson field (my favorite player BTW), I don't see that happening in Vegas. 

Edited by The Jokeman
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Mark80 said:

A's fan here.  I have mixed emotions on this.  Been a fan since late 80's.  It's tough to see what the team has become.  The downfall started when Al Davis made them build the monstrosity stands in center field.  The coliseum had a tremendous view before that and was quite nice looking.  Then they build that ugly thing and the whole atmosphere changed.  Fast forward to the current owner and his living out of the movie plot to Major League, except it actually worked.  I hate support this jerk, but it's my team.  Hopefully he'll actually spend some money now, but if they change their nickname from the A's to something new, I'm out and going to the Orioles.

See I'm the opposite, I'd be more pissed if they keep the A's name. 

4 minutes ago, Ned Flanders said:

I heard the owner will keep the name as is.

No No No GIF

Edited by The Jokeman
  • Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Beast said:

Philadelphia A’s

Kansas City A’s

Oakland A’s

Las Vegas A’s

You can’t kill the A’s.

A's, hard to believe, have been in Oakland longer than they were in Philadelphia as a founding AL member in 1901.

23 minutes ago, Arkady Renko said:

Are they just going to play out the string for the next four years in Oakland before they move? Seems depressing. 

Yeah, that's going to be weird...they're not drawing flies now...before the end of the season, they may let the wharf rats in.

• Haha (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Mark80 said:

Dave Kaval said on MLB Radio on SIriusXM, "The Las Vegas A's has a nice ring to it". The A's name is styaing. 

1 hour ago, Arkady Renko said:

Are they just going to play out the string for the next four years in Oakland before they move? Seems depressing. 

There's some talk that MLB will add 8,000 seats to Las Vegas' new Triple-A ballpark and the A's would play there for 3 years until their new stadium is built. That would be a max attendance of 18,000 which is still more than what they draw now in Oakland.

On 4/20/2023 at 11:41 PM, ExiledInIllinois said:

Buffalo lost it's Braves to San Diego because the Celtics owner wanted to move the Celtics to West Coast. The NBA will not do that... So Buffalo was the patsy. The League brokered a deal for both owners to swap teams. The Braves then moved to San Diego.

***** the NBA.

Then the League admits the Dallas Mavericks as an expansion time. Has everything to do with screwing Buffalo at it's most vulnerable time in its history. 

Left the market open for the Raptors to come in a decade+ later...

Do we think that Buffalo could have supported a third pro team long term, though?

Edited by Arkady Renko

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.