The Walls be Closing

Kemp

3 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

Well, it's not 'free speech' and 'tension' so much as manipulation of the system by the prosecution.   You're the lawyer, and you latched on to the beauty of the placement of the comma.   I get that, I really do.  However, when members of the Smith team leak selective information from hours of testimony, context is completely missing as if it doesn't matter or is irrelevant.   It's as underhanded as anything Trump might say or do, but it goes unchecked while his behavior is presented as dangerous.   I see it less as tension, more as institutional arrogance.

While not Trump or SC related, I recall listening to a story after George Zimmerman shot Travon Martin.   The footage was edited to make it appear that Zimmerman volunteered that Travon was black.  What they cut was the 911 dispatcher asking for a description of TM.    One version is not the same as the other.  Why not just play the tape?  

I'm pro-law and order, and recognize the difficult job that prosecutors often have in front of them.  I simply don't see the need for tactical leaks, and as a result, tend to wonder why they feel manipulation is necessary in this case? 

Quick google search: here's a prof who agrees with you. 

https://digitalcommons.pace.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=2014&context=lawfaculty

The legal standard is flexible: as long as it doesn't compromise the right to a fair trial (a very high standard, since before trial potential jurors will be questioned about what they've heard/read), or it's a violation of a very specific order of the judge, most of these leaks aren't ethical violations.

1 minute ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

You sound like a dreary dullard.

You nailed it!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

Well, it's not 'free speech' and 'tension' so much as manipulation of the system by the prosecution.   You're the lawyer, and you latched on to the beauty of the placement of the comma.   I get that, I really do.  However, when members of the Smith team leak selective information from hours of testimony, context is completely missing as if it doesn't matter or is irrelevant.   It's as underhanded as anything Trump might say or do, but it goes unchecked while his behavior is presented as dangerous.   I see it less as tension, more as institutional arrogance.

While not Trump or SC related, I recall listening to a story after George Zimmerman shot Travon Martin.   The footage was edited to make it appear that Zimmerman volunteered that Travon was black.  What they cut was the 911 dispatcher asking for a description of TM.    One version is not the same as the other.  Why not just play the tape?  

I'm pro-law and order, and recognize the difficult job that prosecutors often have in front of them.  I simply don't see the need for tactical leaks, and as a result, tend to wonder why they feel manipulation is necessary in this case? 

That's obvious: they want to shape a narrative.  And the saying about first impressions being hard to shake is very true, while repeating things over and over tend to give them credence.

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

Here’s my feedback:

The SC leaks like a sieve, and the leaks are carefully designed to shape the narrative and public opinion in a way that should be unnecessary.   It’s not the first time this has happened. 

The writer of this piece offers partial quotes without context, sandwiched with narrative designed to manipulate the reader, and fails to include the questions asked.  We have seen this before, many times, and thinking people should proceed with caution. 

Pence’s comments are undoubtedly self-serving, but he did the correct thing and certified the election.   

Generally, I think it’s interesting that the placement of a comma draws intense scrutiny, but politicians removing top secret/classified information while senator, VP, and President, losing track of multiple documents and exposing national secrets is considered acceptable behavior.  

i spose liz cheney was self serving on the Jan 6 committee.  early excepts from her book are amazing and she has receipts (emails, messages etc)...Pence's pol career is done.  how did he self serve?  As far as the rest of the rubbish u wrote, it's about degrees of lunacy and lying......

Edited by Joe Ferguson forever

2 minutes ago, Joe Ferguson forever said:

i spose liz cheney was self serving on the Jan 6 committee.  early excepts from her book are amazing and she has receipts (emails, messages etc)...

Being from Wyo and being a long-time supporter of Liz, who I know personally and have visited with many times on many issues, I'm pretty disappointed in her role in the Jan 6th committee. At first I was thrilled that she was involved. Personally, I share her disgust of President Trump. As new information surfaces, it is clear to me that she was involved in the effort to suppress all of the truth that happened that day. She use to be better than that.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

6 minutes ago, Pokebball said:

Being from Wyo and being a long-time supporter of Liz, who I know personally and have visited with many times on many issues, I'm pretty disappointed in her role in the Jan 6th committee. At first I was thrilled that she was involved. Personally, I share her disgust of President Trump. As new information surfaces, it is clear to me that she was involved in the effort to suppress all of the truth that happened that day. She use to be better than that.

she stood for democracy against a mob led by a mobster

• Eyeroll 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

CNN Leaks Scoops From LIz Cheney's Book and the Mockery Has Already Begun

ba7003a4-db5f-45ec-a96e-f98ee68a120e-105

Someone's going to have to help me with this one: Exactly who is the audience for a new book from Liz Cheney continuing her obsession with former President Donald Trump? 

I mean, apart from her dad, Adam Kinzinger, and maybe a few Democrats, just exactly who is going to rush out and buy it? Mitt Romney? Democrats have no real use for her anymore, either, so I'm not even sure she'll get many of them.

Certainly, she won't get the people of Wyoming, who turned her out of office in a resounding way by Trump-backed Rep. Harriet Hageman (R-WY), who won by almost 40 points. Constituents tend not to like it when you don't seem to care about their concerns and are more concerned with your own vendettas. Cheney's response to the blowout loss was to say she was keeping her options open about running for president. The living in fantasyland was remarkable. 

However, that isn't stopping CNN from trumpeting this thing. They got copy for their anti-Trump audience when she was targeting Trump on the Jan. 6 Committee, and now they're giving her coverage, pretending like her book matters. In the book, she attacks various GOP leaders as "enablers and collaborators" and calls Trump the "most dangerous man ever to inhabit the Oval Office." That tells you right there that she has no credibility. And while her book doesn't matter to most Americans, it may serve CNN's general anti-Trump stance. 

https://redstate.com/nick-arama/2023/11/29/cnn-is-promoting-liz-cheney-book-people-have-great-fun-mocking-them-both-n2166954

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

21 minutes ago, Joe Ferguson forever said:

ever notice CNN does not have plastic surgery bimbo's as hosts.

Just imagine. if CNN, MSNBC would just put a heavy they with colored hair and ugly piercings/tats on the show, anything they say would be the fact.  

Then the dems would get news from people that looked more like them.

56 minutes ago, Joe Ferguson forever said:

i spose liz cheney was self serving on the Jan 6 committee.  early excepts from her book are amazing and she has receipts (emails, messages etc)...Pence's pol career is done.  how did he self serve?  As far as the rest of the rubbish u wrote, it's about degrees of lunacy and lying......

You didn't ask about Liz Cheney, or the 1/6 committee.  Why the presto chango, Fergie?  Did you lose track of your rants today? 

Pence is a politician, and the full weight and power of the federal government is coming to bear on him in the post 1/6 world.  He also had that pesky "I didn't know I couldn't have classified docs in my possession" thing, so I tend to believe his testimony would by nature serve his own best interests.  I don't see that as a particularly controversial take.    

In addition, the article mentions how he talked about hurting his friend, potentially skipping 1/6 entirely, how he figured Trump knew his position on a variety of issues, and what he actually meant to say in his book.  

As for "degrees of lunacy and lying", this creative phrase is long on casting aspersions, yet woefully lacking in substance.  If you have something, say it, otherwise stop being such a wuss. 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Pokebball said:

I think all is acceptable to some until you get to the point where you suggest that the 1/6 committee was not completely forthright, honest, open and transparent.  In spite of mountains of evidence about the relative trustworthiness of politicians of all stripes over the history of our country, they see purity of cause and clarity of purpose. 

I admit to laughing about liberals lining up with Liz Cheney, that's just bonus money. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1

All Trumpers who have screamed that Joe has committed crimes with Hunter are now afraid to let America watch them question Hunter, so the Trumpers here change the subject.

The Trumpers have nothing on Joe and are terrified of their interaction with Hunter being done in public.

They're also squealing that the right way to do this is behind closed doors, while ignoring that Gym Jordan ignored his subpoena all together.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Kemp said:

All Trumpers who have screamed that Joe has committed crimes with Hunter are now afraid to let America watch them question Hunter, so the Trumpers here change the subject.

The Trumpers have nothing on Joe and are terrified of their interaction with Hunter being done in public.

They're also squealing that the right way to do this is behind closed doors, while ignoring that Gym Jordan ignored his subpoena all together.

Hunter is free to ignore his subpoena