Post Combine/Pre-FA Mock

H2o

So, I do these every year just to have a little fun and pass the time. Here's my first crack at it this year. I'll update it one time a couple of days before the draft. 

1. Carolina Panthers (via Chicago) - C.J. Stroud / QB / Ohio St. - Everyone knows the Panthers traded up to take a QB @ #1. I know they've already come out saying they now "control" the draft and won't rule out moving down, but I'm not buying that crap for a second. They met with every one of the top QB's at the Combine and I'm certain they have a pretty good idea of who their guy is. My money is on CJ Stroud. He can make every throw, he goes through progressions, and he's done so against the best of the best these last couple of seasons. 

2. Houston Texans - Bryce Young / QB / Alabama - Demeco Ryans, Bobby Slowik, and the Texans WILL NOT be the team that hitches their wagons to Anthony Richardson. This is a quote from an interview of Slowik about the offense, "We kind of take a top-down view, but how we see everything working together is we're an offense built on precision. Everybody working together, in unison, on time, in rhythm, that's the starting point." This screams Bryce Young. He may be a hair under 5'11", but Drew Brees wasn't 6' either. Young can make every throw, is very slippery eluding defenders in the pocket, always keeps his eyes down field, goes through progressions, and knows how to throw his guys open.  

3. ***TRADE*** Las Vegas Raiders (via Arizona) - Will Levis / QB / Kentucky - Josh McDaniels and Co. move up in front of Indy to make sure they get their QB. Levis has a huge arm and can make every throw on the football field. He doesn't per say run a lot, but he can be effective eluding the rush and scrambling to pick up some yards here or there. I just see Josh feeling like he can work with Levis' skillset more than having to wait around to see if Anthony Richardson can develop. 

4. Indianapolis Colts - Anthony Richardson / QB / Florida - Shane Steichen just got this job because of what he was able to do with Jalen Hurts in Philly. Richardson fits that athletic profile, but will need to be brought along as a passer. If anyone can do it, it's Steichen. It's a huge Boom or Bust type of draft pick that could either pan out or set the organization back another 2-4 years. Irsay signs off on it though. 

5. Seattle Seahawks (via Denver) - Will Anderson / DE-OLB / Alabama - There is a not a box this young man does not check as an Edge defender. He can beat you with power. He can beat you with speed. He can beat the OT with a countermove. He also plays the run solid as well. He's about 10-15lbs shy of being a clone of Demarcus Ware, but that's who he reminds me of. 

6. Detroit Lions (via LA Rams) - Devon Witherspoon / CB / Illinois - Aaron Glenn is absolutely involved in this selection and is ecstatic. The Lions had the 3rd worst pass defense in football last season and the worst defense overall. Dan Campbell and Co. get an elite talent here to work with in their Secondary. Yes, they pass on Jalen Carter. But the drop off after the top two CB's in Witherspoon and Gonzales is seen as more significant than that of the DT depth in this draft. 

7. Arizona Cardinals (via LV) - Jalen Carter / DT / Georgia - Carter is as elite a prospect as any in this draft. I know there is a lot going on around him right now, with the charges of street racing and all, but it won't really affect his draft stock. He may have only had 3 sacks this season, but 1 in every 5 snaps he rushed the passer ended up with him in the QB's face and that's from the interior. The Cardinals drop down and still get one of the top 3 prospects in the entire draft.

8. Atlanta Falcons - Quentin Johnston / WR / TCU - This marks the 2nd year in a row the Falcons take a WR in Round 1. Last year it was Drake London and now this year Johnston. With the top 4 QB's off of the board, the Falcons look to surround Ridder with weapons. If he does not succeed it will not be because the FO let him down. Johnston has the size, speed, and athletic ability you covet in an X receiver. He and London will make a great duo for years to come. 

9. Chicago Bears (via Carolina) - Christian Gonzalez / CB / Oregon - Gonzalez is an elite athlete at the position. His Combine numbers proved that with a 4.38 40, 11'1" broad, and a 41" vertical. He fits into any and every style of defense. A couple of the knocks on him is he is slow to get his head around when the ball is in the air and he isn't really that much against the run. You won't have many WR's outside of a Hill or Waddle who will shake free of him though. 

10. Philadelphia Eagles (via New Orleans) - Bijan Robinson / RB / Texas - This pick is going to make some people on here mad, but this is what I see happening. Miles Sanders is a FA and will be allowed to walk in FA. What do the Eagles do? Use one of their 1st Round picks to replace him with the best RB in the draft of course. He will excel in this offense with Jalen Hurts at the helm. 

11. Tennessee Titans - Paris Johnson Jr. / OT / Ohio St. - The Titans are going into a bit of a reset year. They've cut quite a few players and are rumored to be shopping Derrick Henry as well. One of those players cut was Taylor Lewan. Here they take a large human being with one of the larger wingspans you will ever see, not to mention he's one of the top 3 OT prospects in this draft.  

12. Houston Texans (via Cleveland) - Tyree Wilson / DE / Texas Tech - This guy is something to marvel at as well. He's 6'6", 275lbs, and has a 7'2" wingspan. He doesn't have that explosion off of the snap, but he still managed 8 sacks, 10 QB hits, and 32 pressures on 250 pass rush snaps. Add the coaching of Demeco Ryans and they could have themselves really good Edge defender in this league.  

13. New York Jets - Broderick Jones / OT / Georgia - Rodgers or no Rodgers, the Jets have to fix this OL. They will lose Fant in FA and Duane Brown is almost as old as Tom Brady. Combine that with how Becton can't stay healthy, and here you have it. Broderick Jones is a plus athlete for his size at the position. He's still a bit raw, but everything you look for is there. This is step one to fixing the OL. 

14. New England Patriots - Calijah Kancey / DT / Pitt - As we saw last year, BB doesn't care what anyone thinks. If he likes a player, and values what he thinks they bring to the table, he's going to take them. Kancey was a wrecking ball on the interior of that Pitt defense. He generated 8 sacks, 9 QB hits, and 30 pressures. He's not the biggest guy, but I could see BB lining him up at the 5-tech with Judon or Uche playing outside of him. That's a tough matchup for any opposing OL.  

15. Green Bay Packers - Brian Branch / S / Alabama - The Packers could use some more help in the Defensive backfield and adding a player the caliber of Branch would surely do that. He can operate in coverage and will stick his nose in there against the run. He doesn't have elite speed, but he'll make up for it by being one of the smartest and most instinctive players on the field. You pretty much never see him take a bad angle in coverage or crashing down to a ball carrier. He'll be a Safety, and line up some in the Slot, in the NFL. 

16. Washington Commanders - Peter Skoronski / OT / Northwestern - Washington's OL is bad. They could use a couple of Guards and an OT. Skoronski was a really good OT at Northwestern, but he has T-Rex arms for an OT at 32-1/4". I'm sure Washington will try him at OT first, but I think his best fit is as a G in the NFL. Either way, Washington gets one of the true 1st Round talents on the OL in the 1st Round of this draft. 

17. Pittsburgh Steelers - Nolan Smith / OLB / Georgia -  Pittsburgh needs someone else who can get to the QB other than TJ Watt. If Watt doesn't get hurt last year, they likely make the Playoffs. Nolan Smith flashes some on tape, but he wasn't really cut loos to rush the passer at UGA. He did however play his role crashing down against the run well. Mike Tomlin and Co. will have him put on about 10-12lbs of good weight in the offseason program and this guy will eat opposite of TJ Watt in that defense. 

18. Detroit Lions - Jaxson Smith-Njigba / WR / Ohio St. - The Lions will now have themselves one of the nastiest trios of WR's in the NFL. Jameson Williams will surely be 100% over 18 months removed from his ACL tear. Amon-Ra St. Brown arrived on the scene last year with 100+ catches and 1,100+ yards. Now you throw in a guy who is going to murder defenses out of the Slot? That Lions offense will be fun to watch. 

19. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Myles Murphy / DE / Clemson - Tampa needs some edge help and Murphy is one of the top prospects at the position. He has an elite first step and he loves to get the stiff arm in on the blockers chest. Most of his rushes are based off of power and athleticism alone. He also plays the run extremely well. He reminds me A LOT of Jason Pierre-Paul. Todd Bowles and Co. will help him refine those tools and get the most out of those God given athletic traits. 

20. Seattle Seahawks - Brian Bresee / DT / Clemson - Clemson players go back-to-back and Pete Carroll gets another piece to help revamp that defense. They got the best pass rusher in the draft at #5 in Anderson, then grab a guy who will make an excellent 5-Tech if they run a 3-4 or a solid 3-tech if they go back to that 4-3 Hybrid. These picks should help that 26th ranked defense from a season ago. 

21. Los Angeles Chargers - Michael Mayer / TE / Notre Dame - Michael Mayer is the most complete TE in this draft. He's a plus playing inline and blocking in the run game. He's also a savvy route runner who knows how to find the soft spot in Zone or set his guy up to lose him in Man. He is the most prolific TE in Notre Dame history, and became so in spite of a bunch of suspect QB play in 3 years. He'll open things up even more for Ekeler, Allen, Williams, and Palmer. Then all of those guys will also open up the field for him. 

22. Baltimore Ravens - Jalin Hyatt / WR / Tennessee - Just about any WR on the board would be an upgrade to Baltimore's unit. Hyatt is a burner who will command attention on every snap. Even if DB's give him a large cushion inside or outside, he can blow by them in the matter of a few strides. I know he only ran a 4.4 at the Combine, but if you turn on the tape he's a 4.4 in pads too. This will give Lamar, Huntley, whoever, some needed help on the outside. 

23. Minnesota Vikings - Joey Porter Jr. / CB / Penn St.  - Porter is built to play in Press Man coverage in a WR's hip pocket all day. This will mesh perfectly with what Brian Flores is going to want to do in Minnesota. There will be a lot of Cover 0, with different blitz packages. He's also a solid tackler at the position. This is a solid get for Minny at #23. 

24. Jacksonville Jaguars - Deonte Banks / CB / Maryland - The CB group this year is full of a bunch of elite athletes and Banks is one of them. He blazed a 4.35 40, had a 42" vertical, and an 11'4" broad jump. He's really smooth in his back pedal and flips his hips to run with ease. He'll need some refinement on playing with his back to the ball as he can get a bit grabby. Still, he has every trait you look for in a CB and he has some really good reps on tape. 

25. New York Giants - Jordan Addison / WR / USC -One year removed from a Biletnikoff Award, he didn't have the season he hoped at USC. He didn't time well in Indy. He plays fast enough on tape, is a natural hands catcher, has plenty of shiftiness after he gets the ball, and knows how to get open though. It's no secret that the Giants need some WR help. There's already talk of what they will attempt to do this offseason. I still think WR here makes the most sense as well. 

26. Dallas Cowboys - Zay Flowers / WR / Boston College - Dallas absolutely needs some guys who can get open and catch the ball. Flowers is a dynamic WR who projects to get most of his work in the Slot. He's a threat to take the ball to the house every time it hits his hands with his speed and shiftiness. He will immediately take some of the heat off of CeeDee Lamb. Dak will also appreciate this selection.

27. Buffalo Bills - Josh Downs / WR / North Carolina - I know there would be a few people ticked at this pick, but I can see it happening. Downs is going to be a Slot WR at the next level, and a good to possibly even great one. He's as dangerous as any WR in this draft with the ball in his hands. He sets up defenders using tempo and then snaps into his breaks. The shiftiness and acceleration REALLY stand out. You see him leaving defenders in the dust more times than not. In the end, they get their speedy little WR even if it feels like a reach to some. I know people will be clamoring about Shakir, but I see him getting more shots on the outside this year in case we let Gabe walk after 2023. 

28. Cincinnati Bengals - Emmanuel Forbes / CB / Miss. St. - The Bengals Secondary could take a huge hit in FA, possibly losing 3 starters and 6 altogether. Forbes is another of the elite athletes in this CB class and could immediately step in for Eli Apple. He's light and won't be much as a run defender, but he has natural athleticism and is solid in coverage. 

29. New Orleans Saints (via San Francisco) - Jahmyr Gibbs / RB / Alabama - The only RB currently under contract for NO is Alvin Kamara. He's likely going to miss some time this year due to the NFL's Conduct Policy as well. Gibbs has an extra gear you clearly can see on tape when he gets in open space and he backed that up with a 4.36 40 time. He's also a weapon in the passing game for the newly signed Derek Carr to utilize. I think he's a perfect fit in NO. 

30. Philadelphia Eagles - Antonio Johnson / S / Texas A&M - Marcus Epps and CJ Garder-Johnson are FA's. Johnson is one of the best players on the board who can also double in Slot CB duties as well. He's not afraid of sticking his nose in there against the run either. He always seems to cut through avoiding blockers to make stops. He'll help ease the losses in the Secondary. 

31. Kansas City Chiefs - Anton Harrison / OT / Oklahoma - Patrick Mahomes and Co. are coming off of another SB and will have to do some retooling again on the OL. Orlando Brown is going to get top tier OT $$$ in FA and it won't be from KC. Harrison may not be the most elite prospect when you factor in all of the "traits" people look for, but he is excellent in pass protection and that is exactly what Mahomes needs. They get a new OT to watch his blindside here at #31. 

• Thank you (+1) 2

I only wonder how much longer it’s going to take for the rest of TSW accepts that Bijan isn’t dropping to 27.  He has a good chance to go inside the top 10, and I would be surprised if he made it past Philly at 10.   

So many other people around here still have this delusion there is a good chance that we get him at 27.  Is it possible…sure anything is possible.  But the odds of it happening are very low.  

• Agree 2

Nice work. I can only imagine how much time you put into all of that. 

On the Bills pick, I’m very concerned when you show them taking the sixth or seventh WR in the first round. What other available players were you considering when you went ‘to the podium’? 

Edited by SoCal Deek
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

Taking Downs after Flowers smells similar to Elam after McDuffie

They did meet with him at the Combine and we have also been told the Bills are looking at those types of WR's this draft. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I only wonder how much longer it’s going to take for the rest of TSW accepts that Bijan isn’t dropping to 27.  He has a good chance to go inside the top 10, and I would be surprised if he made it past Philly at 10.   

So many other people around here still have this delusion there is a good chance that we get him at 27.  Is it possible…sure anything is possible.  But the odds of it happening are very low.  

I don’t think he’s going to be there a 27 either

But

There is going to come appointed this draft, where if he’s not picked by certain teams he’s going to slip

Just a lot of things to consider here. There’s a lot of good running backs in free agency and there’s a lot of good running backs later in the draft.

I have a crush on bichon Robinson, but I would totally be OK. Going with line and picking up a running back later on in the draft.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, SoCal Deek said:

Nice work. I can only imagine how much time you put into all of that. 

On the Bills pick, I’m very concerned when you them taking the sixth or seventh WR in the first round. What other available players were you considering when you went ‘to the podium’? 

Jack Campbell / LB / Iowa

Mazi Smith / DT / Michigan

Antonio Johnson / S / Texas A&M

Jahmyr Gibbs / RB / Alabama

Steve Avila / G / TCU

Lukas Van Ness / DE / Iowa

Isaiah Foskey / DE / Notre Dame

Trenton Simpson / LB / Clemson

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, H2o said:

Steve Avila / G / TCU

I doubt Downs would be the pick if the draft fell the way you had it go.  I think it would be Campbell or Antonio personally over downs, or maybe even see us trade down.  

Just now, Alphadawg7 said:

I doubt Downs would be the pick if the draft fell the way you had it go.  I think it would be Campbell or Antonio personally over downs, or maybe even see us trade down.  

It's possible, but I've seen Downs ranked in some people's top 30. Taking him at #27 isn't that far of a stretch. I could see Campbell if McD is heavily involved in making the call and we don't sign a guy in FA. But if we don't take a WR in the 1st two Rounds, there likely isn't a guy who would help our team after that (depending on where Tillman and Hutchinson go). We also don't want to neglect the OL until Round 5 or 6 either. I couldn't really think of anyone teams would be wanting to trade up for either. Maybe Van Ness, but he reminds me a lot of our tweener type DE's. It takes two to trade and you don't want to let yourself get robbed just for the sake of moving back. 

I love Downs the player.  I hate that he can’t play WR2 opposite Diggs.  I’d love to be able play more 12 personnel and Downs wouldn’t be on the field.  He can’t block.  I’d much rather have Dalton Kincaid than Downs.

detroit- JSN and ASB are both slots-  I’d be shocked if they drafted JSN.  Doesn’t make much sense 

• Agree 1

53 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

But you don't draft a RB in the 1st round!! I kept hearing about the value 🤔. This is why they should've struck when the iron was hot and took Breece last year

Edited by Solomon Grundy

46 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I love Downs the player.  I hate that he can’t play WR2 opposite Diggs.  I’d love to be able play more 12 personnel and Downs wouldn’t be on the field.  He can’t block.  I’d much rather have Dalton Kincaid than Downs.

detroit- JSN and ASB are both slots-  I’d be shocked if they drafted JSN.  Doesn’t make much sense 

ASB can play outside. JSN could line up some outside as well. I have no doubt that Ben Johnson could scheme for them effectively. You can almost bet the #1 CB will be on Williams anyway. 

3 minutes ago, H2o said:

ASB can play outside. JSN could line up some outside as well. I have no doubt that Ben Johnson could scheme for them effectively. You can almost bet the #1 CB will be on Williams anyway. 

Putting either one outside is a meh move imo. Addison is a much better fit there imo. I’d rather draft Kincaid or Mayer if I’m Detroit 

1 hour ago, H2o said:

Steve Avila / G / TCU

Thanks! I immediately ignored the two DEs on your list. There’s zero chance the Bills are picking a DE in Round 1….please say yes? 

9 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Thanks! I immediately ignored the two DEs on your list. There’s zero chance the Bills are picking a DE in Round 1….please say yes? 

Don’t be so sure. McDermott loves him some DE in the first and 2nd round and can’t ever get anything out of them. 

10 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Yeah, that's just me thinking out loud. I would hope not, but stranger things have happened. 

1 hour ago, SoCal Deek said:

Trade back to the Bears or Texans get Clijah Kancey DT. NFL comparison....John Randle. Pick up the first or second pick in the 3rd and 5th?.....4th and 6th?

Provided we signed Powers and Risner.

1 hour ago, nosejob said:

Trade back to the Bears or Texans get Clijah Kancey DT. NFL comparison....John Randle. Pick up the first or second pick in the 3rd and 5th?.....4th and 6th?

Provided we signed Powers and Risner.

14. New England Patriots - Calijah Kancey / DT / Pitt - As we saw last year, BB doesn't care what anyone thinks. If he likes a player, and values what he thinks they bring to the table, he's going to take them. Kancey was a wrecking ball on the interior of that Pitt defense. He generated 8 sacks, 9 QB hits, and 30 pressures. He's not the biggest guy, but I could see BB lining him up at the 5-tech with Judon or Uche playing outside of him. That's a tough matchup for any opposing OL.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.