So You Want To Be A GM?

Milanos Milano

On 3/9/2023 at 7:28 PM, IronMaidenBills said:

Give me a list of 10 players, a mix or different positions and projected draft rounds that you think will contribute a decent amount of their time within the NFL over the coming years. I’m going to make this thread every offseason to see who performs the best on this site. I want to see if there are any posters that can hit better than some NFL GMs. After you give me a list of 10 players. I want you to give me 3 late round (4th or later) draft prospects you think will contribute or be an aka gem. 

2. Steve Avila   OL 

6. Jalin Hyatt  WR

7.  Zay Flowers  WR 

8.  Bijan Robinson  RB

1.   Ja’von Hicks   S

3.  Andrew Vorhees OL 

Good lists. All the guys you noted may be available around #27.

Avila is plug and play day 1.

Jalin Hyatt - 6'0" 180, thought he may be a bit slight for the NFL. But a lot of film of him doing big damage from the slot, and Buffalo needs a slot WR. 4.3x speed is nasty. Could be Buffalo's Hill/ Waddle/Hardman type of guy. Good at making short passes into big plays (YAC). Very natural catching deep passes and has the ability to get open deep. May not be an Outside WR in the NFL, but the slot WR is growing in importance in the NFL. He may be my fastest riser for Buffalo.

Zay Flowers - probably the best overall WR that could  be available to Buffalo at #27.

Bijan Robinson - clearly the best RB in the class. May fall to #27. Would make popcorn and have fun reading the board if tht was the selection.

Both Hicks and Vorhees are guys who should find roles in the NFL.

On 3/10/2023 at 8:05 AM, BillsShredder83 said:

I took the "better than a gm" as hyperbole. Obviously I don't think we're comparing apples to apples here.

However, I love the idea of seeing a record of who around here does a better job at this exercise than everyone else. For as much as everyone around here thinks everyone else is an idiot, I think it's nice to have some kind of record we can all go back to, talk some trash, debate as 1st 2nd and 3rd years pass etc 

It's funny to me that a lot of people who beat their chests about their football knowledge and game tape study are either ignoring this thread or aren't willing to submit a list of players, as suggested by OP.

IMO the hardest part of being a GM is not being able to identify talent, but building a winning team.

So you pick talented football players? That's great. 

Now after you start paying some of the top talent you have to blend aging veterans from FA with rookie draft picks that work as a unit to be a winning football team.

Not saying picking talent is easy, but building a winning team around superstars and staying under the cap is really difficult. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/11/2023 at 11:53 AM, RocCityRoller said:

I don't have a top 10 but here are three later round guys I think will have good NFL careers and could be fits for the Bills:

3rd round:

Jack Campbell - MLB Iowa 6'5" 249

Projections are all over the place, most are 3rd round. Sure tackler, makes some wow plays. Very good instincts. Played in nickle zone coverage for Iowa, which is essential for a Bills LB. Nicknamed 'Captain Jack', gotta love that.

4-6th

Ricky Stromberg - C/G Arkansas 6'3" 306

Offers C/G flexibility. Started at OG in 2019-2020. Moved to C in 2020, has been starting C since. Strong, good at both RB and PB. OG class seems a bit weak. May Want to double down on two C/G types instead of reaching on a pure G. Ricky Stromberg just sounds like a 10 year OL in the NFL 😄

5-7th

Mohamed Ibrahim - RB Minnesota - 5'10" 210. Projected 5th to 7th round. The type of productive RBs other teams get late. 3x1000+ yard seasons. 1665 yards and 20 TDs rushing in 2022. 5.2 YPC in 2022. Quick, not fast. Not a game breaker, but rarely tackled for a loss and good at shedding first tackle or making the first guy miss. He reminds me a lot of Singletary.

I also like Ibrahim as a 6th or 7th.

Big time down on Ronnie Hickman. Small and slow is a bad combo for an NFL S.

Hickman, I think, will outperform his late-round pick in my opinion. Poyer and Hyde ran slower at the combine and they turned out pretty good. I will say he is on the smaller side though. Idk, based on what I have seen I think he will do fine, but may need a year or two before he will break out

• Like (+1) 1

Here is my shot:

Jonathon Mingo-wr

Zay Flowers -wr  

Cedric Tillman-wr

Calijah Kansey-dl

Bryan Bresee-dl

Joe Tippmann-iol

John Michael Schmitz-iol

Tucker Kraft-te

Bijan Robinson-rb

Bryce Young-qb

3 Sleepers

McClendon Curtis-iol

Dontay Demus Jr.-wr

Andre Carter II-dl

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.