So You Want To Be A GM?

Milanos Milano

Give me a list of 10 players, a mix or different positions and projected draft rounds that you think will contribute a decent amount of their time within the NFL over the coming years. I’m going to make this thread every offseason to see who performs the best on this site. I want to see if there are any posters that can hit better than some NFL GMs. After you give me a list of 10 players. I want you to give me 3 late round (4th or later) draft prospects you think will contribute or be an aka gem. 

1. Peter Skoronski  OL 

2. Steve Avila   OL 

3. Michael Mayer  TE 

4. Deonte Banks   CB     (Gonzalez and Witherspoon are going to be monsters, but I choose lesser talented CBs I think will have a good career)

5. Julius Brents  CB -> S

6. Jalin Hyatt  WR

7.  Zay Flowers  WR 

8.  Bijan Robinson  RB

9.  Drew Sanders  LB 

10. Jordan Battle  S 

My 3 late round gems

1.   Ja’von Hicks   S 

2.  Andrei Iosivas  WR 

3.  Andrew Vorhees OL 

Edited by IronMaidenBills
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

Not interested for one reason- the team that a player ends up being drafted on plays a pretty large role in the future success of a pick. If Zay Flowers gets drafted by the Ravens or the Titans, that's a pretty big negative.

Edited by EasternOHBillsFan

23 minutes ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

Not interested for one reason- the team that a player ends up being drafted on plays a pretty large role in the future success of a pick. If Zay Flowers gets drafted by the Ravens or the Titans, that's a pretty big negative.

Not necessarily an issue, good talent manages to shine through and even if it doesn’t, has multiple chances to show out for another team.  I want to see who the best GM/scout is on this message board. 

Edited by IronMaidenBills
  • Like (+1) 1

1. Bijon Robinson RB
2. Jack Campbell LB

3. Darnell Washington TE

4. Jaxon smith njigba WR

5. Joey Porter JR

6. Peter Skoronski  OL  

7. Steve Avila OL

8. Michael Meyer TE

9. Antonio Johnson S

10. John Michael Schmitz OL

late rd:

1. Dante stills DT

2. Bryce Ford Wheaton WR

3. Elijah Higgins WR

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Chaos said:

At best this would help identify a top college talent scout, not a GM

True, but who knows, maybe if people put their picks out there and they consistently have great picks it could help build some credentials. Give me some of your picks, let’s see who does the best. 

1. Trenton Simpson LB Clemson

2. Tucker Kraft TE South Dakota State

3. Jammie Robinson SAF FSU

4. Sydney Brown SAF Illinois

5. Chase Brown RB Illinois

6. Mohamoud Diabete LB Utah

7.  Charlie Jones WR Purdue

8.  Riley Moss CB Iowa

9.  Jake Andrews OC/OG Troy
10.  Lonnie Phelps DE/LB Kansas 

Late round guys who peak my interest:

Chandler Zavala- Think he can be a starter but position flex could be an issue only played LG in College

SirVocea Dennis LB/Saf Pitt- He’ll at the very least be a long time ST in the NFL. Probably will get drafted and I really like Pitt defenders. Always seemed to get coaches up well. 

Jartavius Martin CB/S Illinois- Gets overshadowed by Sydney Brown but I think he can be a good depth player early on and valuable for teams because he can play multiple positions. 

Ali Gaye DE/LB LSU- This one is the projection to me. Built like a prototype. Has had good pass rushing games but is raw. He’ll either be a huge steal or out of the NFL early. 

Edited by gonzo1105
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, John from Riverside said:

I need to see what we do in free agency first

? Why, this is just who you think are great players in the draft to test ones evaluation skills. Preferably players that are fringe 1st round or later so as to see who can hit on the more difficult to gauge talents. Just like I left out Gonzalez and Witherspoon on purpose because they are a no brainer. 

1 hour ago, IronMaidenBills said:

Not necessarily an issue, good talent manages to shine through and even if it doesn’t, has multiple chances to show out for another team.  I want to see who the best GM/scout is on this message board. 

That’s not true

The NFL is all about Fit… Where and who you are drafted by… What scheme and role you play 

85% of the league is role players … and role players becomes pro bowlers and stars by being in the right place 

very few … the elite 10-15% of the league are studs who can play in any system or scheme 

EVERY player in the NFL oozes talent … they were all studs in HS and college 

very few can do it anywhere 

the draft is a crapshoot in that way 

There’s dozens and dozens and dozens of players that will have long careers from this draft… Top 30 prospects shouldn’t be eligible… because they are supposed to be good 

But that’s why Scheme and landing spot is everything

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

That’s not true

The NFL is all about Fit… Where and who you are drafted by… What scheme and role you play 

85% of the league is role players … and role players becomes pro bowlers and stars by being in the right place 

very few … the elite 10-15% of the league are studs who can play in any system or scheme 

EVERY player in the NFL oozes talent … they were all studs in HS and college 

very few can do it anywhere 

the draft is a crapshoot in that way 

There’s dozens and dozens and dozens of players that will have long careers from this draft… Top 30 prospects shouldn’t be eligible… because they are supposed to be good 

But that’s why Scheme and landing spot is everything

If this was true, why do NFL franchises spend so much money on scouting departments and GMs? After all if it was such a crap shoot, any joe could get similar results. 

Before I give my top 10, first let me say that I think CJ Stroud will be the best QB in the class. We cannot start a proper draft thread until we make our predictions there, can we?

Also, I am not here for bragging rights, I am not a pro scout nor am I a bonafide draft guru, I am just a passionate fan and draft enthusiast and I have a lot of fun in doing these things.

Anyways, here’s some guys I like in various rounds in the draft:

Paris Johnson, LT, Ohio State

Broderick Jones, LT, Georgia

Dawand Jones, RT, Ohio State

Jordan Addison, WR, USC

Jaxon Smith-Njigba, WR, Ohio State

Bijan Robinson, RB, Texas

Peter Skoronski, LT, Northwestern

Dalton Kincaid, TE, Utah

Nolan Smith, LB, Georgia

Zay Flowers, WR, Boston College

Josh Downs, WR, North Carolina

Daiyan Henley, LB, Washington State

O’Cyrus Torrence, OG, Florida

Steve Avila, OG/C, TCU

Jahmyr Gibbs, RB, Alabama

Zach Charbonnet, RB, UCLA

Trenton Simpson, LB, Clemson

Jalin Hyatt, WR, Tennessee

Cody Mauch, OL, North Dakota State

Kendre Miller, RB, TCU

DeMarvion Overshown, LB, Texas

Andrei Iosivas, WR, Princeton

Charlie Jones, WR, Perdue 

Jack Campbell, LB, Iowa

Daniel Scott, S, California

DeMarco Hellams, S, Alabama

Jarrett Patterson, OG/C, Norte Dame

Take my list with a grain of salt.  🙂

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, Victory Formation said:

Before I give my top 10, first let me say that I think CJ Stroud will be the best QB in the class. We cannot start a proper draft thread until we make our predictions there, can we?

Also, I am not here for bragging rights, I am not a pro scout nor am I a bonafide draft guru, I am just a passionate fan and draft enthusiast and I have a lot of fun in doing these things.

Anyways, here’s some guys I like in various rounds in the draft:

Paris Johnson, LT, Ohio State

Broderick Jones, LT, Georgia

Dawand Jones, RT, Ohio State

Jordan Addison, WR, USC

Jaxon Smith-Njigba, WR, Ohio State

Bijan Robinson, RB, Texas

Peter Skoronski, LT, Northwestern

Dalton Kincaid, TE, Utah

Nolan Smith, LB, Georgia

Zay Flowers, WR, Boston College

Josh Downs, WR, North Carolina

Daiyan Henley, LB, Washington State

O’Cyrus Torrence, OG, Florida

Steve Avila, OG/C, TCU

Jahmyr Gibbs, RB, Alabama

Zach Charbonnet, RB, UCLA

Trenton Simpson, LB, Clemson

Jalin Hyatt, WR, Tennessee

Cody Mauch, OL, North Dakota State

Kendre Miller, RB, TCU

DeMarvion Overshown, LB, Texas

Andrei Iosivas, WR, Princeton

Charlie Jones, WR, Perdue 

Jack Campbell, LB, Iowa

Daniel Scott, S, California

DeMarco Hellams, S, Alabama

Jarrett Patterson, OG/C, Norte Dame

Take my list with a grain of salt.  🙂

It doesn’t have to be your top 10 overall, just 10 picks regardless of rounds to where you think those players will have a above average contribution in their careers. 

11 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

If this was true, why do NFL franchises spend so much money on scouting departments and GMs? After all if it was such a crap shoot, any joe could get similar results. 

The Bengals have had 4 scouts in their organization for 30 years.. just bumped to 8

And have been mocked relentlessly for how little they put into their scouting department

Yet they can still draft good players

Having vast resources in scouting… Means you can see more games at one time… And Go to smaller one AA or even division 2 schools

I have friends at the scouting combine… There’s a general consensus on the top 60 or so players in the draft… talent wise 

Now what makes it a crapshoot is you can’t measure someone’s heart and want … or how little they want it 

marcel dareus Could have been a first ballot Hall of Famer… They don’t make 330 pounders like that… But he decided the grind wasnt worth it

Compare that that to meatball… Who physically is undersized for the NFL… Late round draft pick… Busted his ass to become a stud because of want

Scout still liked meatball enough to draft them him in the fifth round… an honor … But his size and explosive skills Didn’t warrant the top 30 pick the day of the draft

In hindsight he was worth a top 20 pick… Scouts will never be able to measure someone’s heart

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

The Bengals have had 4 scouts in their organization for 30 years

And have been mocked relentlessly for how little they put into their scouting department

Yet they can still draft good players

Having vast resources in scouting… Means you can see more games at one time… And Go to smaller one AA or even division 2 schools

I have friends at the scouting combine… There’s a general consensus on the top 60 or so players in the draft… talent wise 

Now what makes it a crapshoot is you can’t measure someone’s heart and want … or how little they want it 

marcel dareus Could have been a first ballot Hall of Famer… They don’t make 330 pounders like that… But he decided the grind wasnt worth it

Compare that that to meatball… Who physically is undersized for the NFL… Late round draft pick… Busted his ass to become a stud because of want

Scout still liked meatball enough to draft them him in the fifth round… an honor … But his size and explosive skills Didn’t warrant the top 30 pick the day of the draft

In hindsight he was worth a top 20 pick… Scouts will never be able to measure someone’s heart

I think you can measure someone’s motor. It shows up in the game film.  Players like Sanders, Battle, and Vorhees come to mind. You can see it on tape, they glow with passion. Some are just better at recognizing it. 

3 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

I think you can measure someone’s motor. It shows up in the game film.  Players like Sanders, Battle, and Vorhees come to mind. You can see it on tape, they glow with passion. Some are just better at recognizing it. 

You are comparing in on field motor to somebody’s internal work ethic and want

Plenty of players have displayed a high motor only to get paid and never play like that again

A persons character means just as much is their talent

And you will never be able to find somebody’s character on film.. You could never find somebody’s character and want on film

It’s why they do interviews… And you can still lie your way through interviews… It is really hard to find somebody internal goal

They are all not built like JJ Watt

Edited by Buffalo716

I actually love this idea! So cool…Wish we did it years ago when I watched like every game of college football. I’ll still give it a go this year (give me a little bit and I’ll have my list)…wish we had updates from last year when I was adamant about trading up whatever it takes for Sauce Gardner. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.