So You Want To Be A GM?

Milanos Milano

3 hours ago, IronMaidenBills said:

LOL its about who can identify talent. It’s cool to see how well members on this board can identify talent. 

Sorry people reading reports written by real scouts who have studied these guys for a year or even multiple years is not “identifying talent”.  Nobody on this board is “Identifying talent”.  You wouldn’t have even heard of like 90% of the players in the draft if not for media mock drafts and scouting reports.  

The most popular “mock draft” writers around here are wrong a lot more than anyone wants to admit.  And most of what they write is the same regurgitated stuff written in every online mock draft.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Sorry people reading reports written by real scouts who have studied these guys for a year or even multiple years is not “identifying talent”.  Nobody on this board is “Identifying talent”.  You wouldn’t have even heard of like 90% of the players in the draft if not for media mock drafts and scouting reports.  

The most popular “mock draft” writers around here are wrong a lot more than anyone wants to admit.  And most of what they write is the same regurgitated stuff written in every online mock draft.  

Everything they get is from Pundits… And lots get money from agent to prop players up

I remember I had friends in the combine who guaranteed me Cesar Ruiz would be the first interior o lineman taken in the draft

And people here said he’s going in the fourth round lol and I said I guarantee he’s the first off the board… guaranteed 

Because  the Scouts on the ground spread the info… And I believe them over pundits with a preconception 

And guess what… First round , first interior lineman taken and I was called crazy… but pundits are paid to say things… Matt Barkley was the “#1 pick at one point” lol

I never had him higher than a fifth round and most scouts were harsher 

Edited by Buffalo716

9 hours ago, IronMaidenBills said:

Give me a list of 10 players, a mix or different positions and projected draft rounds that you think will contribute a decent amount of their time within the NFL over the coming years. I’m going to make this thread every offseason to see who performs the best on this site. I want to see if there are any posters that can hit better than some NFL GMs. After you give me a list of 10 players. I want you to give me 3 late round (4th or later) draft prospects you think will contribute or be an aka gem. 

1. Peter Skoronski  OL 

2. Steve Avila   OL 

3. Michael Mayer  TE 

4. Deonte Banks   CB     (Gonzalez and Witherspoon are going to be monsters, but I choose lesser talented CBs I think will have a good career)

5. Julius Brents  CB -> S

6. Jalin Hyatt  WR

7.  Zay Flowers  WR 

8.  Bijan Robinson  RB

9.  Drew Sanders  LB 

10. Jordan Battle  S 

Nice list. If we have 10 picks in the first two rounds I hope Beane takes some of these guys!

I mean seriously, what is the point here?

2 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

There is a difference between mock drafting and grading players though. I do both and they are different. I mocked Trevon Walker to the Jags because that was based on intel about what they were going to do from credible media sources. But personally I didn't have a first round grade on Walker and I wouldn't have taken him in the top 25 picks if I was an actual General Manager. Mocking is a prediction game, and my record is mixed but I hit on 27/32 first rounders last year. 

I take the point on grading, but I watch a LOT of these players game film. It isn't as much as real scouts or GMs, sure, but it is enough to have an informed opinion. And while the majority of the time you are right to say I don't "identify" guys, because my lists of who to go and watch are generally just based on what other sites do and then I go off and watch them there are some noteable exceptions. Roby Anderson was one. Bryce Huff was another. Nobody was talking or writing about either but I happened to catch them playing in college and made a mental note and came back to them. I thought both were worthy of being mid round draft picks. Ironic that both went to the Jets as UDFAs and have had way better careers than that. 

• Like (+1) 1

First, I agree with Victory Formation and thin CJ Stroud will be the best qb in the class. I also think Anthony Richardson will be Lamar 2.0. Great start but will be a better runner than passer.

1. Peter Skoronski ol

2. Joey Porter cb

3. Jack Campbell lb

4. Mazi Smith dl

5. Roschan Johnson RB

6. Rakim Jarrett wr

7. Darnell Wright ot

8. Zach Harrison de/Edge

9. Rashee Rice wr

10. Derick Hall lb/edge

Late Rounders.

1.  Elijah Higgins wr

2. Zach Kuntz te

3. Jarring Bernard-Converse cb

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Nice list. If we have 10 picks in the first two rounds I hope Beane takes some of these guys!

I took the "better than a gm" as hyperbole. Obviously I don't think we're comparing apples to apples here.

However, I love the idea of seeing a record of who around here does a better job at this exercise than everyone else. For as much as everyone around here thinks everyone else is an idiot, I think it's nice to have some kind of record we can all go back to, talk some trash, debate as 1st 2nd and 3rd years pass etc 

• Agree 2

52 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

I took the "better than a gm" as hyperbole. Obviously I don't think we're comparing apples to apples here.

However, I love the idea of seeing a record of who around here does a better job at this exercise than everyone else. For as much as everyone around here thinks everyone else is an idiot, I think it's nice to have some kind of record we can all go back to, talk some trash, debate as 1st 2nd and 3rd years pass etc 

Fair enough. My track record is out there, both for good and bad. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Some people need to be coddled and told that they’re beautiful 

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Fair enough. My track record is out there, both for good and bad. 

In all sincerity I learn more from you as a poster than anyone else. Don't get me wrong there's some really football savvy people in here but always look forward to your mock drafts and player commentary. Helps me get my chops up before the draft.

Do you have a background working with a team or scouting? I'm sure you wouldn't if involved in nfl, always kinda assumed a small college or something 

14 hours ago, IronMaidenBills said:

Give me a list of 10 players, a mix or different positions and projected draft rounds that you think will contribute a decent amount of their time within the NFL over the coming years. I’m going to make this thread every offseason to see who performs the best on this site. I want to see if there are any posters that can hit better than some NFL GMs. After you give me a list of 10 players. I want you to give me 3 late round (4th or later) draft prospects you think will contribute or be an aka gem. 

1. Peter Skoronski  OL 

2. Steve Avila   OL 

3. Michael Mayer  TE 

4. Deonte Banks   CB     (Gonzalez and Witherspoon are going to be monsters, but I choose lesser talented CBs I think will have a good career)

6. Jalin Hyatt  WR

7.  Zay Flowers  WR 

8.  Bijan Robinson  RB

9.  Drew Sanders  LB 

10. Jordan Battle  S 

My 3 late round gems

1.   Ja’von Hicks   S 

2.  Andrei Iosivas  WR 

3.  Andrew Vorhees OL 

really solid post iron. Its too soon for me but I am on board with Zay Flowers and Bijan Robinson. This is a good list though. 

• Like (+1) 2

No there isn’t enough money for Terry Pegula for me to work for that fraud. I couldn’t stand Adelphia what John Rigas did defrauding people but he paid his price in prison. Terry Pegula should be in prison how much money he is legally stealing from Erie County and New York State. I thought Western New York hit rock bottom with John Rigas but Terry Pegula has no soul what a bum he should be in prison along with the New York State politicians giving him that tax money for political campaign contributions pay for play and money laundering. That new Buffalo Bills stadium not having a dome is criminal just flat out money laundering stealing from the taxpayers ridiculous in my opinion. Go Bills! Let’s Go Buffalo 

Edited by Buffalo Super Fan
  • Eyeroll 1

Ok, throwing my hat in here, and trying to pick 1 player at each position. I don’t necessarily know who will be the “best” at their respective position but I feel like these players will go on to do well in the league:

1. Peter Skoronski OT

2. Bijan Robinson RB

3. Steve Avila G

4. Jack Campbell LB

5. John Michael Schmitz C

6. Tre’Vius Hodges-Tomlins CB

7. Nathaniel Dell WR

8. Mazi Smith DT

9. Jordan Battle S
10. Tuli Tuipulotu DE

Late Round Gems:

1. Jonathan Mingo WR

2. Ronnie Hickman S

3. Zack Kuntz TE

2 more just for the sake of argument:

4. Andrew Voorhis G

- whoever drafts him may wait a year to use him but I think he is going to be good/great when healed up. With an investment in the 5th for sure

5. Mohammed Ibrahim RB 

- Deepest cut I have. 7th rounder/UDFA possibly but he performed well and I think is worth a late flyer to see what he can do in the pros

Ok so I won’t put any of the top QBs or Jalen Carter and Will Anderson Jr…I suck at watching O line college film so I’m not going to try. 

My favorite players I think are special, go in the first 2 days of the draft and will have very good NFL careers barring injury:

1. Zay Flowers WR

2. Devon Witherspoon CB

3. Josh Downs WR

4. Bijan Robinson RB

5. Michael Mayer TE

6. Dalton Kincaid TE

7. Darnell Washington TE

8. Deuce Vaughn RB

9. Christian Gonzalez CB

10. Calijah Kancey DT

Later gems…Most likely day 3 picks (maybe late day 2):

Max Duggan QB

Brenton Strange TE

Tyjae Spears RB

3 WRs I think are underrated but also very boom/bust that I would consider taking a chance on:

Jayden Reed  - He just seems to fit Buffalo after watching him play in the snow and never really having a good QB. He seems to run a nice route tree with good hands and can return kicks

Charlie Jones - A mix between Ed Mccaffey and Cole Beasley to me. Intriguing but is he clutch like those guys?

Kayshon Boutte - Raw talent could be the best WR in the class but maturity and injury issues are scary. 

Edited by NeverOutNick

i see all these off season threads and this seems like a good one but i have no time to invest in college. let alone ALL college. do you guys get your overall impressions from pro run downs or do you really watch all the games to see stars and diamonds in the rough? 

i dont know guys til we draft em and then i go through there tape to see if there's anything there.

Edited by Buffarukus

17 hours ago, Buffalo Super Fan said:

No there isn’t enough money for Terry Pegula for me to work for that fraud. I couldn’t stand Adelphia what John Rigas did defrauding people but he paid his price in prison. Terry Pegula should be in prison how much money he is legally stealing from Erie County and New York State. I thought Western New York hit rock bottom with John Rigas but Terry Pegula has no soul what a bum he should be in prison along with the New York State politicians giving him that tax money for political campaign contributions pay for play and money laundering. That new Buffalo Bills stadium not having a dome is criminal just flat out money laundering stealing from the taxpayers ridiculous in my opinion. Go Bills! Let’s Go Buffalo 

Lots of win in this post.  Why would someone go to jail for something that you admit is legal?   And how is stadium funding related to money laundering?

Edited by prissythecat
grammar

1. Jalen Carter, DT

2. Devon Witherspoon, CB

3. Dalton Kincaid,  TE 

4. Bijan Robinson  RB

5. Michael Mayer, TE

6. Jack Campbell, LB

7.  O'Cyrus Torrence, OG

8.  CJ Stroud, QB

9.  Peter Skoronski, OT-OG

10. Brian Branch, S

My 3 late round gems

1.   Blake Freeland, OT

2.  Ivan Pace Jr., LB

3.  Chris Rodriguez Jr., RB

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/9/2023 at 7:28 PM, IronMaidenBills said:

1. Peter Skoronski  OL 

2. Steve Avila   OL 

3. Michael Mayer  TE 

6. Jalin Hyatt  WR

7.  Zay Flowers  WR 

8.  Bijan Robinson  RB

9.  Drew Sanders  LB 

10. Jordan Battle  S 

My 3 late round gems

1.   Ja’von Hicks   S 

2.  Andrei Iosivas  WR 

3.  Andrew Vorhees OL 

Iron, just remember... Every year McD and Bean had every hole patched, every major upgrade needed, DONE by the Draft.. That is why I can not comment on this to much because SO MUCH going to change between now and the draft.

I don't have a top 10 but here are three later round guys I think will have good NFL careers and could be fits for the Bills:

3rd round:

Jack Campbell - MLB Iowa 6'5" 249

Projections are all over the place, most are 3rd round. Sure tackler, makes some wow plays. Very good instincts. Played in nickle zone coverage for Iowa, which is essential for a Bills LB. Nicknamed 'Captain Jack', gotta love that.

4-6th

Ricky Stromberg - C/G Arkansas 6'3" 306

Offers C/G flexibility. Started at OG in 2019-2020. Moved to C in 2020, has been starting C since. Strong, good at both RB and PB. OG class seems a bit weak. May Want to double down on two C/G types instead of reaching on a pure G. Ricky Stromberg just sounds like a 10 year OL in the NFL 😄

5-7th

Mohamed Ibrahim - RB Minnesota - 5'10" 210. Projected 5th to 7th round. The type of productive RBs other teams get late. 3x1000+ yard seasons. 1665 yards and 20 TDs rushing in 2022. 5.2 YPC in 2022. Quick, not fast. Not a game breaker, but rarely tackled for a loss and good at shedding first tackle or making the first guy miss. He reminds me a lot of Singletary.

13 hours ago, KingBoots8 said:

Ok, throwing my hat in here, and trying to pick 1 player at each position. I don’t necessarily know who will be the “best” at their respective position but I feel like

Late Round Gems:

1. Jonathan Mingo WR

2. Ronnie Hickman S

3. Zack Kuntz TE

2 more just for the sake of argument:

4. Andrew Voorhis G

- whoever drafts him may wait a year to use him but I think he is going to be good/great when healed up. With an investment in the 5th for sure

5. Mohammed Ibrahim RB 

- Deepest cut I have. 7th rounder/UDFA possibly but he performed well and I think is worth a late flyer to see what he can do in the pros

I also like Ibrahim as a 6th or 7th.

Big time down on Ronnie Hickman. Small and slow is a bad combo for an NFL S.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, RocCityRoller said:

5-7th

Mohamed Ibrahim - RB Minnesota - 5'10" 210. Projected 5th to 7th round. The type of productive RBs other teams get late. 3x1000+ yard seasons. 1665 yards and 20 TDs rushing in 2022. 5.2 YPC in 2022. Quick, not fast. Not a game breaker, but rarely tackled for a loss and good at shedding first tackle or making the first guy miss. He reminds me a lot of Singletary.

I also like Ibrahim as a 6th or 7th.

I agree with you on Ibrahim. He’s not the most gifted runner but he always pops when I watch Minnesota 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.