So You Want To Be A GM?

Milanos Milano

9 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

You are comparing in on field motor to somebody’s internal work ethic and want

Plenty of players have displayed a high motor only to get paid and never play like that again

A persons character means just as much is their talent

And you will never be able to find somebody’s character on film.. You could never find somebody’s character and want on film

It’s why they do interviews… And you can still lie your way through interviews… It is really hard to find somebody internal goal

They are all not built like JJ Watt

I disagree, you can spot character on the field. It’s the same way I knew Kuechly would be an all time great. The same way I knew Josh Allen would be great. When players do extra things on the field that nobody else is doing, it shows heart. Those things don’t go away with money. 

Sanders, Battle, and Vorhees have the IT factor. Particularly Sanders. He has so much heart in his game. 

Edited by IronMaidenBills

7 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

I disagree, you can spot character on the field. It’s the same way I knew Kuechly would be an all time great. The same way I knew Josh Allen would be great. When players do extra things on the field that nobody else is doing, it shows heart. Those things don’t go away with money. 

Sanders, Battle, and Vorhees have the IT factor. Particularly Sanders. He has so much heart. 

Lots of people knew like kuechley would be great lol

and you are stretching it now… you could NEVER know who a person is until you spend time with them … there are A LOT of fake people 

there are fake coaches … you do not know a guy from game film… you see on field passion … which TONS of guys have had and lost 

You do not know their internal motivations … what makes them angry , happy , sad… tons of players have extreme passion TO GET PAID

drafting has ALWAYS BEEN a crapshoot which is why no team drafts consistent all pros or hall of famers regularly 

If it was that easy teams would draft all pros and hall of famers yearly … it’s hard… especially because you have to wait in a draft

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Agree 3

1 minute ago, Buffalo716 said:

Lots of people knew like kuechley would be great lol

and you are stretching it now… you could NEVER know who a person is until you spend time with them … there are A LOT of fake people 

there are fake coaches … you do not know a guy from game film… you see on field passion … which TONS of guys have had and lost 

You can get a good judge of character from game film. Heart players don’t take plays off, they grind, they exude energy, they go hard every second. They fight for every inch of yardage, they hurdle, they exercise and study when nobody else is. Hyper focused players shows up on game film. That’s indicative of heart, because it shows you they care extra when most people don’t. You could see this in Kuechly’s tape, he was hyper focused. Same with Sanders. 

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

You can get a good judge of character from game film. Heart players don’t take plays off, they grind, they exude energy, they go hard every second. They fight for every inch of yardage, they hurdle, they exercise and study when nobody else is. Hyper focused players shows up on game film. That’s indicative of heart, because it shows you they care extra when most people don’t. You could see this in Kuechly’s tape, he was hyper focused. Same with Sanders. 

Heart and internal motivation are different 

Jordan Phillips shows tons of heart on the field .. he doesn’t have internal motivation to be great 

but he could be great … he doesn’t want to

but he plays with tons of passion and heart on the field … plays through injuries … big energy ….

but he doesn’t have the internal motivation to be dominate all the time.. 

Edited by Buffalo716

31 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

It doesn’t have to be your top 10 overall, just 10 picks regardless of rounds to where you think those players will have a above average contribution in their careers. 

This should be done AFTER the draft. Like others said,  fit matters, as does opportunity.  Ask Jordan Love or any recent Bills 1st round pick. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, IronMaidenBills said:

cat reaching GIF

• Haha (+1) 4

4 hours ago, IronMaidenBills said:

Give me a list of 10 players, a mix or different positions and projected draft rounds that you think will contribute a decent amount of their time within the NFL over the coming years. I’m going to make this thread every offseason to see who performs the best on this site. I want to see if there are any posters that can hit better than some NFL GMs. After you give me a list of 10 players. I want you to give me 3 late round (4th or later) draft prospects you think will contribute or be an aka gem. 

1. Peter Skoronski  OL 

2. Steve Avila   OL 

3. Michael Mayer  TE 

4. Deonte Banks   CB     (Gonzalez and Witherspoon are going to be monsters, but I choose lesser talented CBs I think will have a good career)

5. Julius Brents  CB -> S

6. Jalin Hyatt  WR

7.  Zay Flowers  WR 

8.  Bijan Robinson  RB

9.  Drew Sanders  LB 

10. Jordan Battle  S 

My 3 late round gems

1.   Ja’von Hicks   S 

2.  Andrei Iosivas  WR 

3.  Andrew Vorhees OL 

Make this a poll it would be much better

• Disagree 1

5 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

LOL its about who can identify talent. It’s cool to see how well members on this board can identify talent. 

People have been identifying talent all offseason and will continue to do so up

til and after the draft.  Your lamp doesn’t change anything

@IronMaidenBills heres my criticism sandwhich. i mostly know you as the breece hall guy.  i agree with your takes a little bit less than half the time (estimate here folks) and it seems like when i agree with you, i think youre the wrong person to be the messenger  of that 'take'

that said, coming from a fairly neutral observer, this is absolutely my fav idea for a post since season ended, and maybe of the season so far. i wish i could partake but i just do not know the prospects the way a lot do here. i read everyones draft posts, have for years, and ive learned a ton here

and i think itd be cool to have running records of something like this. one for free agency. maybe all-pro picks. everyone goes on an open record, in one spot.

secondly, you know how the hottest girls are always the ones thatre just a full step hotter than you, but still in your league enough to make the fantasy true? Welp that is the one and only:::

jordan addison. 1st rd. buffalo bills

#followingthread

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

@IronMaidenBills heres my criticism sandwhich. i mostly know you as the breece hall guy.  i agree with your takes a little bit less than half the time (estimate here folks) and it seems like when i agree with you, i think youre the wrong person to be the messenger  of that 'take'

that said, coming from a fairly neutral observer, this is absolutely my fav idea for a post since season ended, and maybe of the season so far. i wish i could partake but i just do not know the prospects the way a lot do here. i read everyones draft posts, have for years, and ive learned a ton here

and i think itd be cool to have running records of something like this. one for free agency. maybe all-pro picks. everyone goes on an open record, in one spot.

secondly, you know how the hottest girls are always the ones thatre just a full step hotter than you, but still in your league enough to make the fantasy true? Welp that is the one and only:::

jordan addison. 1st rd. buffalo bills

#followingthread

Thanks Shredder. My personal philosophy has always been about merit. The best of the best. I truly believe this board has some really good talent evaluators, and I want to see a centralized location of some discussion of prospects. It’s nice to see a list of players people have high hopes for, and then maybe make some kind of notation for future references. I believe collective analysis is better than just a handful of “elite” professional scouts. I bet you if you took about 30 of the best posters evaluations here and compared it to our draft choices, the board would have performed better. 

7 hours ago, IronMaidenBills said:

Give me a list of 10 players, a mix or different positions and projected draft rounds that you think will contribute a decent amount of their time within the NFL over the coming years. I’m going to make this thread every offseason to see who performs the best on this site. I want to see if there are any posters that can hit better than some NFL GMs. After you give me a list of 10 players. I want you to give me 3 late round (4th or later) draft prospects you think will contribute or be an aka gem. 

1. Peter Skoronski  OL 

2. Steve Avila   OL 

3. Michael Mayer  TE 

4. Deonte Banks   CB     (Gonzalez and Witherspoon are going to be monsters, but I choose lesser talented CBs I think will have a good career)

5. Julius Brents  CB -> S

6. Jalin Hyatt  WR

7.  Zay Flowers  WR 

8.  Bijan Robinson  RB

9.  Drew Sanders  LB 

10. Jordan Battle  S 

My 3 late round gems

1.   Ja’von Hicks   S 

2.  Andrei Iosivas  WR 

3.  Andrew Vorhees OL 

How does this indicate if someone can “hit better than NFL GMs”?  I mean NFL GMs don’t get to draft their top 10 prospects in the whole draft.  So how does someone choosing their 10 best prospects compare to a GM picking one guy from a pool of only the players still available when they are actually on the clock, and then not drafting again for another 32 picks at least to pick the next?  

Doesn’t make any sense, not remotely comparable to an NFL GM.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.