The OL: Where it Stands Right Now - Where does it need to go in FA and Draft?

ColoradoBills

I'm in the "fix the OL first crowd" so this is my #1 priority for the off season.

Going into FA and the Draft this is where to OL is right now.

I am going under the assumption that all 5 of last year's OL stay on the team (I think they should).

LT - Dawkins (Doyle backup)

LG - Open (Bates played RG but he seems better at LG, many see him as Morse's replacement at C) - (NO LG backup)

C - Morse (A huge unknown going forward both with health and cost) (Bates backup)

RG - Open (No Backup)

RT - Brown (Inconsistent but improving) (No RT backup)

On the roster and going to camp (so far) are former PS players (C-Mancz, T-Anderson, T-Van Demark)

It seems to me the #1 question is the future of Ryan Bates.  Is he earmarked at age 26 to replace Morse at C?  If not, is he the future at LG?

Question #2 who is the RG starter?  (Day 1 Rookie or FA?)

Question #3 is Spencer Brown locked to be starting RT?

Question #4 is after all the above answers, who is depth?

I would like to hear what some options are from the board.  I will post this OP now and give my thoughts, as of right now, in a reply post.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, ColoradoBills said:

I'm in the "fix the OL first crowd" so this is my #1 priority for the off season.

Going into FA and the Draft this is where to OL is right now.

I am going under the assumption that all 5 of last year's OL stay on the team (I think they should).

LT - Dawkins (Doyle backup)

LG - Open (Bates played RG but he seems better at LG, many see him as Morse's replacement at C) - (NO LG backup)

C - Morse (A huge unknown going forward both with health and cost) (Bates backup)

RG - Open (No Backup)

RT - Brown (Inconsistent but improving) (No RT backup)

On the roster and going to camp (so far) are former PS players (C-Mancz, T-Anderson, T-Van Demark)

It seems to me the #1 question is the future of Ryan Bates.  Is he earmarked at age 26 to replace Morse at C?  If not, is he the future at LG?

Question #2 who is the RG starter?  (Day 1 Rookie or FA?)

Question #3 is Spencer Brown locked to be starting RT?

Question #4 is after all the above answers, who is depth?

I would like to hear what some options are from the board.  I will post this OP now and give my thoughts, as of right now, in a reply post.

Spencer Brown definitely did NOT show improvement and he better not be locked into a starting spot. The Bills should be looking to upgrade everything along the offensive line. The only spot I think is safe is Dawkins-not amazing but if you can get better play next to him he will be fine and money needs to be spent on other places 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

My thoughts go like this:

If Bates is the heir apparent C, then he needs to start to train to be that.  He needs to take all the 2nd team C snaps and

should only be considered depth at G going into the season.

That leaves 2 G positions to fill.  One in the draft and one in the FA seems proper.

I like the idea of pursuing a player in FA like Andrew Wylie from KC.  He has played both RG, LG and RT for KC and has played

pretty good at all positions.  His "Market Value" on Spotrac is under $5M per year.  If he (or a similar player) can be secured

it takes one G spot out and gives Brown some good camp competition at RT.

Then draft a full time Day 1 starter at G.  I would need help with who and what round, but I would be willing to even consider Round 1.

• Disagree 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I think we absolutely must add a FA Guard. Going into the draft needing 3 OL is a big risk, and not one I trust Beane not to reach for. If we can add a guy like Dalton Risner in FA, I like our options a whole lot better to get an OT and OG in the draft.

If Morse retires, I like Bates at Center if we don't draft one. But then we'd need to add an OG to start.

I don't think S Brown is locked in as a starter. I think he'll be better with a healthy offseason, but we need to add a Tackle in the first 3 rounds.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

4 minutes ago, Ya Digg? said:

Spencer Brown definitely did NOT show improvement and he better not be locked into a starting spot. The Bills should be looking to upgrade everything along the offensive line. The only spot I think is safe is Dawkins-not amazing but if you can get better play next to him he will be fine and money needs to be spent on other places 

If you think that consider what my Option #1 is above.

We really might not be THAT far off.  Morse is a solid center, and Dawkins is a solid LT.  Morse hasn't hinted at retiring, so he should be our starting C this year.

Personally, I still have some hope in Brown.  I think the injury set him back, and he has certainly had flashes of very good play.  It's not enough, but I'm not giving up on the idea that he could emerge as a solid starter this season w/ a full training camp.

They need to bring in legit competition at his position, and also address both guard spots.  Bates could potentially fill one of those, and be very good.  I see us bringing in 1 strong FA, and drafting 2 linemen in the 1st 3-4 rounds.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, 947 said:

I think we absolutely must add a FA Guard. Going into the draft needing 3 OL is a big risk, and not one I trust Beane not to reach for. If we can add a guy like Dalton Risner in FA, I like our options a whole lot better to get an OT and OG in the draft.

If Morse retires, I like Bates at Center if we don't draft one. But then we'd need to add an OG to start.

I don't think S Brown is locked in as a starter. I think he'll be better with a healthy offseason, but we need to add a Tackle in the first 3 rounds.

What's your thought of Wylie as an FA for RT?

Just now, Einstein said:

Just posting this thread because it has potential options to fill those holes you mention:

I apologize and will look up the thread.  I did a search and didn't see.  Also, I took some time off the board after the CIN game so I wasn't

around at the beginning of the month.

If the mods want to merge it's fine with me.

Let me ask you what are your thought of a FA who could start both RG and RT like Wylie?

8 minutes ago, 947 said:

Totally agree.  3 rookies would be a disaster.  Do you have any options at RG?  My thoughts would be a strong RG would help

Brown IF he ends up being a starter.

4 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

I apologize and will look up the thread.  I did a search and didn't see.  Also, I took some time off the board after the CIN game so I wasn't

around at the beginning of the month.

If the mods want to merge it's fine with me.

Let me ask you what are your thought of a FA who could start both RG and RT like Wylie?

Nothing to apologize for. Personally I prefer new threads over bumping old threads. I was linking it so people can know what names are available.

I’d be fine with Wylie. Or Turner. i’d be shocked if Beane isn’t eyeing him.

I dream about getting Powers though.

Edited by Einstein
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Nothing to apologize for. Personally I prefer new threads over bumping old threads. I was linking it so people can know what names are available.

I’d be fine with Wylie and i’d be shocked if Beane isn’t eyeing him.

I dream about getting Powers though.

He's going to cost, but at around $10M I think he is at the top of the "doable" list.  Anything more I feel is just not feasible with

the cap situation.

2 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Personally, I'd start with a stud RT in the draft (Jaelyn Duncan/Darnell Walker). Draft a center (Schmitz/Tippmann). Pick another guard later in draft. 

It would leave the G position pretty bare.  Bates and a late draft pick?  

Like others, I'm in the "draft 2 OL" not 3.  Too many rookies could be an issue.  That's why an FA at G seems rational.

I'm for drafting a C fairly early if Bates is not the long-term answer at C.

1 minute ago, Solomon Grundy said:

I disagree. Definitely a stud RT and a replacement for Morse would work. This would allow Bates to stay at guard. Don't forget Boettger. Didn't KC do this with Trey Smith and Creed Humphrey?

Yes, but wouldn't you want an FA at RG instead of a late round rookie?  I fear starting both rookies at RG and RT.

The Oline needs a complete redo.  No one other than Dawkins should be on the roster in 2024, other than as a possible backup.  

If the team is committed to rebuilding the line, I think we need to borrow a first round pick from 2024, and combine it with pick 27 to move up in the draft.  On the points chart (I know that is far from perfect), that could allow us to move up to 12 by trading with Houston.   At 12, it is almost certain one of the top 3 Tackles in the draft, Paris Johnson Jr., Peter Skoronski, and Broderick Jones should be available. We likely would have our pick of them.   My personal choice Skoronski.  We our second pick might be able to add John Michael Schmitz. If not Joe Tippman from Wisconsin should be there.  Tippman would be able to start at Guard as long as Morse is Healthy.  

There are several good guard options who should be available with our later picks to compete with Bates & Spencer Brown for the other guard spot. These include 

Andrew Vorhees from USC and an interesting UCLA player Atonio Mafi. Chandler Zavala from NCS and Jarrett Patterson from Norte Dame. 

Bang, bang, bang,  new line is Dawkins, Tippman, Morse, Vorhees, Skoronski.

Edited by Chaos
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.