Facebook - hacked

ArdmoreRyno

Woke up this morning to find my Facebook account was hacked around 1:30 a.m. 

Someone managed to get into an email I used to set it up a couple of years ago, requested to change that email to their hotmail account, managed to get the code request (number) from my email and then totally deleted my old email. 

So my account is gone. 2+ years of memories gone. 

WTF would someone want to do that? There is nothing to gain by hacking and changing someone's account. 

PS: I can't request to get access because they even changed my phone number. 

9 minutes ago, Mark80 said:

So they can scam your friends.

I get that... but none of my friends can find my old account anymore. Just vanished. 

7 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

I believe there might still be a way to recover your account.

https://m.facebook.com/help/203305893040179

worth a try at least!

I tried that once, got to where you add your phone number to get the SMS code... then it never comes. I tried again and it said I've requested it too many times. 

Not once code came to my cell text message-wise. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Congrats on getting off Facebook. The hackers did you a favor.

I really only use it now to keep up with groups that I take part in (Ole Miss parents group, Boston Conservatory parents group, NFA owners group, Oklahoma State fans, etc). 

And adding... I had my old FB page linked to my mom and my little sister's pages... who are both gone. I can never be FB friends with them again to see their pages or read our old messages/memories. 

That is what I hate so dang much about Facebook and losing your account. 

1 hour ago, ArdmoreRyno said:

And adding... I had my old FB page linked to my mom and my little sister's pages... who are both gone. I can never be FB friends with them again to see their pages or read our old messages/memories. 

This really sucks, dude.  I found this article that has a bunch of information on how to recover accounts - even in your situation.  Hope it's helpful!

https://ccm.net/apps-sites/social-media-instant-messaging/469-how-to-recover-a-facebook-account/

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Gugny said:

This really sucks, dude.  I found this article that has a bunch of information on how to recover accounts - even in your situation.  Hope it's helpful!

https://ccm.net/apps-sites/social-media-instant-messaging/469-how-to-recover-a-facebook-account/

I'll have to get on there when I get to my desktop at my "other" office (can't access FB on my school work computer). 

Thanks!

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/16/2023 at 1:33 PM, Gugny said:

Brother, THANK YOU!!!! 

I went to the link and over the next several days, finally got access to my account last night. Was getting frustrated because I would enter the code they emailed to my email and it would continue to say "YOU'VE TRIED TOO MANY TIMES", so I'd have to wait 24 hours. I about gave up, waited 48 hours and did it again... allowed me to get into the account last night and finally changed it back to my name. 

So again, thanks a BUNCH!

• Awesome! (+1) 3

It is precisely due to chit like this that I am beginning to prefer dogs over some people.  Scammers suck.

But alas YAY for a helping ear in the chatroom. we Rule 🙂 atta boy @Gugny 👍

m

Edited by muppy
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

On 2/16/2023 at 12:37 PM, ArdmoreRyno said:

Glad you were able to get it back, AR. And Gugny FTW!

Have those been converted to “Remembering…” if that’s possible? IIRC, one had to select a few people who’d have authorization to do that conversion.

I use it mostly to stay in touch with family (I have soooo many cousins! Both parents were among eight kids) and actual friends. And some groups, like a town page for goings-on since the death of newspapers. … Not perfect by ANY means.

I’ve had friend requests from new pages of deceased relatives. And some from older relatives who seem to create a new account every month. It’s just sick that some people have to ruin things with the same old lowbrow scams of ‘Help me, I’m in trouble and need some money.’ and it’s puzzling to me because you’d think the only people who might fall for this are people who would also have ZERO idea how to transfer such money online.

Edited by UConn James
  • Like (+1) 1

On 2/16/2023 at 10:00 AM, Mark80 said:

So they can scam your friends.

My mother got a message a few days ago that a friend of ours, a priest from another state, had sent her a SOS and pinned a map indicating he was very close to where she lives.

She is 95 years old and panicked! What to do?  The message said she was being notified because she was on his emergency contact list. She can’t take care of herself at this point! But we had to convince her to ignore it to keep her safe. They have a knack for picking on the most vulnerable among us.

Yes, the priest had been hacked and it lead to all kinds of complications like having to close all his bank accounts. This resulted in him not having any income for a couple months while things were straightened out. I’m all for public flogging of scammers. 

5 hours ago, ArdmoreRyno said:

Brother, THANK YOU!!!! 

I went to the link and over the next several days, finally got access to my account last night. Was getting frustrated because I would enter the code they emailed to my email and it would continue to say "YOU'VE TRIED TOO MANY TIMES", so I'd have to wait 24 hours. I about gave up, waited 48 hours and did it again... allowed me to get into the account last night and finally changed it back to my name. 

So again, thanks a BUNCH!

My pleasure and I'm glad it worked out, man!

I still enjoy Facebook.  I'll post fun things I'm doing, etc., and it's a good way to stay in touch with people I rarely see.  I don't do politics and I unfollow anyone who overdoes it.  I've unfollowed A LOT of people over the past 5-7 years!  It's the only way I can keep it positive.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.