Need some Breadth on this team

foreboding

"Oh my god, they are getting shoved around! Are the Bills like half their size?" --Words that came out of my buddies mouth yesterday.

How many times this year do we watch the game and it seems like even when our guys do manage to hold their blocks, the offensive line gets shoved far into the back field, sometimes so tight Josh gets knocked off his spot? Romo said it yesterday, there is nothing worse than an inside rush, for a QB.

Or how about our D-line that gets gashed by any O-Line with some size, doesn't matter if they are 2nd string, they got size and a decent RB? Count on 5 yards per carry, if we are lucky!

I remember when a big, old d-tackle was the cure to stopping the run, I think it still is, unless you got some freaks of nature in there (which we don't.)

In this offseason, I sure hope the Bills go after some slobbering d-tackle and work out stopping the run. How many times do we hear something like this: "Wow, this is the best rushing game for XYZ team in the last 10 weeks...or all year!"

Finally, I hope we land some even bigger talented guards who can stop the inside rush. Our QB can sneak up into the pocket and break stuff down, but not when our guys can't create a gap. We must learn to run and take what defenses give us, the long ball is the icing, moving the chains is the actual cake.

Outside of a total tear down, as some are suggesting, what do you guys think we need the most?

Edited by foreboding

20 minutes ago, I am the egg man said:

Bet Fish, Jets and Pats feeling better about next season. 

1000% blood in the water.  The Patriots have a bunch of money I believe and the Jets need a QB (easier said than done) and they will be solid.  And Miami, if they don't scramble their QBs brain, should be an 11+ win team.  Things just got a helluva lot harder around these parts.  Good thing we won a SB with Allen before the rest of the division caught up.

• Haha (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Billzgobowlin said:

Upgrading talent on the O line would be helpful but I think a playmaker that cares about winning as much as Josh would be nice.  Would Bijan Robinson be that player....

Without getting a legit WR2 and upgrading this O-line, I don't possibly see how this team wins 13 games again or how they get past the Divisional round, if that.

10 hours ago, Johnnycage46 said:

1000% blood in the water.  The Patriots have a bunch of money I believe and the Jets need a QB (easier said than done) and they will be solid.  And Miami, if they don't scramble their QBs brain, should be an 11+ win team.  Things just got a helluva lot harder around these parts.  Good thing we won a SB with Allen before the rest of the division caught up.

I hope Jets, Pats and Fins all get better.  I prefer a tough regular season.  You win a tough division the playoffs are just another tough game.  With the easier division games left us less prepared for good teams.  You don't see bad teams in the playoffs, every team is gonna be good. 

There was a play in the game where the Bengals rushed 3

Three players

And are five men offensive line couldn’t block it, and Josh was running for his life

I was just in shock I thought that maybe we were trying to run a screen and that’s why they let all those players in on Josh but it wasn’t. It was just bad blocking.

9 hours ago, goldenboy81 said:

Bills been getting pushed around for 30 year,even in the superbowls before that. This team needs dogs and alot of them

This is true with one exception: when Wade Phillips was the DC and Ted Washington was at nose tackle when we ran the 3-4 defense.  

• Like (+1) 1

I recall McDermott saying that he wanted quick slashing defensive linemen to be disruptive, but all they do is run into the o line and get pushed around. When was the last time you saw a t-e stunt from our line?

Their draft philosophy and final defensive game plans do not mesh. Until they do, the bend but don't break defense will get us to the playoffs, but will stall again, and again.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.