A Few Thoughts About vs. Jets

pocoboy

We all want Josh to bring home the MVP and lead this team in spectacular fashion to a Super Bowl victory.

With that said, I have to wonder if the coaches viewed yesterday's matchup & conditions as a potential repeat of the road Jets loss. Bad weather, same dogged defense & coaching staff, & an O-line not at 100%. He slung the ball a bit more at NE, and I could imagine the coaches implored him to be less risky in his approach to throwing - avoid tight coverage or potential disguises that were effective at MetLife. It led to a rather pedestrian stat day, but it might be the type of performance against a b***h of a defense that won't cause him to devolve into another funk.

In fact, I'd say the entire team seems to struggle in the rain. Recall the Indy nightmare at home last season. At least in this one they a) didn't give NYJ short fields on turnovers, and b) bottled up the run game quite effectively.

McKenzie must be replaced at WR3 soon. He can't be relied upon. Way too many games where possessions are squandered from his concrete hands. If you want him for trickery like gadget jet sweeps or pop passes, fine, but my confidence in him is basically zilch now.

Edited by pocoboy
  • Like (+1) 4

2 hours ago, pocoboy said:

We all want Josh to bring home the MVP and lead this team in spectacular fashion to a Super Bowl victory.

With that said, I have to wonder if the coaches viewed yesterday's matchup & conditions as a potential repeat of the road Jets loss. Bad weather, same dogged defense & coaching staff, & an O-line not at 100%. He slung the ball a bit more at NE, and I could imagine the coaches implored him to be less risky in his approach to throwing - avoid tight coverage or potential disguises that were effective at MetLife. It led to a rather pedestrian stat day, but it might be the type of performance against a b***h of a defense that won't cause him to devolve into another funk.

In fact, I'd say the entire team seems to struggle in the rain. Recall the Indy nightmare at home last season. At least in this one they a) didn't give NYJ short fields on turnovers, and b) bottled up the run game quite effectively.

McKenzie must be replaced at WR3 soon. He can't be relied upon. Way too many games where possessions are squandered from his concrete hands. If you want him for trickery like gadget jet sweeps or pop passes, fine, but my confidence in him is basically zilch now.

*Josh to bring home the Super Bowl MVP

• Like (+1) 1

Yesterday's game was what a professional team does.  Grind it out, get the win.  It would have helped a lot if McKenzie could play like a professional.  I saw at least three passes that he dropped, that a pro receiver should always make.  The Jets receivers were catching EVERYTHING near them.  Maybe they have better gloves.

Also Singletary dropped a short, swing pass late in the game.  He wasn't going to get much yardage but his drop stopped the clock when the Bills were working on draining it. 

Allen really missed only one throw all game, and that was the first pass he threw.  After that, things were just about on target.  Maybe not as precise as usual but that's on the wet ball and the wind. 

The Bills caught some breaks.  Quinnen Williams hurting himself was key.  Whoever replaced him was nowhere near as good, and it opened up the middle of the line for runs that were not there while Williams was playing.  Josh's touchdown might have had to come from a different play design, for instance.  Also one of their WRs went out early due to being kicked in the head, which let the Bills focus on Wilson.  And it was huge that QB Mike White AND LT Fant went out at the same time, which led to Flacco's fumble.  The point isn't that those things happened, it's that the Bills capitalized.  What professionals do.

As for the game being boring, maybe it was to a national TV audience, but not to us Bills fans.  It was a tight game especially near the end, where a single stupid penalty or missed tackle could have led to OT.  And none of that happened.  This is how professional teams stack wins.  Go Bills.

2 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

*Josh to bring home the Super Bowl MVP

Yep, that's the only MVP that really matters.  The crazy thing is, Josh probably doesn't make the AFC Pro Bowl team.  Again. 

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, pocoboy said:

The defense didn't struggle.

• Thank you (+1) 1

12 hours ago, pocoboy said:

Peter King in today’s FMIA even took a shot at McKenzie:

“5. I think if Isaiah McKenzie doesn’t improve his hands, and pronto, the Bills will be in the market for a new slot receiver—and maybe before the end of the season. I know I’d be thinking about an upgrade if I were Brandon Beane.”

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.