Why did Saleh continue to play White

FLBillsGuy

1 hour ago, DCofNC said:

How much does it suck to be Flacco right now?  Oh hey buddy, you can come in and get hammered on if one of these guys goes down, but you definitely aren’t going to start a game for us.

Let me count the ways it sucks to be Joe Flacco. 
Super rich, Super Bowl champion, Super Bowl MVP. Married to my super fine ass high school sweetheart. Still in the league you probably wished you could be in. I’ll take my life vs. an armchair qb. I’m doing just fine. How’s life treating you?

Sincerely,  
Joseph Vincent Flacco 

• Haha (+1) 1

On 12/11/2022 at 7:30 PM, Saint Doug said:

Kids a gamer? He was brought to the hospital after the game. Playing through pain is fine, but playing through a trip to the hospital is just plain dumb. 

Adrenalin.  I was playing football and I landed on my forearm.  Got up and went back to play.  At end of game I relaxed and my arm moved in Z shape for I broke both bones in forearm straight through.

5 hours ago, The Wiz said:

You're right.

Everyone could see tua was concussed.

Only Superman could use his x-ray vision to see white had broken ribs.

Well, to that point - Highmark Stadium does have an x-ray room, I believe it's equipped with good quality x-ray equipment but not an MRI or CT scanner.

I'm sure White got rib x-rays. 

He said in an interview that the initial x-rays didn't show the fractures.

It's my understanding that broken ribs, especially on a person who is well muscled-up, can be difficult to detect on initial x-ray.  I had a college friend who was hiking the CDT, in a van accident, and had this happen.  The fractures get more prominent as they start to heal, or can be seen on a scan.

2 hours ago, Heavy Kevi said:

Sometimes I think people lose perspective that these guys are playing for their career. Someone like Mike white might not get other chances, and this is his time to provide for his future/family. These dudes are willing to risk it for the (proverbial) biscuit and it's not like it's just sports. There are millions every day that go to their construction jobs or something else physical- these people are literally trading in their bodies to support their families.

Agree.  Four times I have had issues requiring surgery and each time my job was at risk.  There are laws and there are ways to get around the laws.  Companies used various methods to have me laid off including having government change requirements on position so they did not need to have me be able to return to job after recovery.

In my last case I went to work on crutches after doctor said I could return to work on limited basis bringing a plastic box used to keep my foot in ice during shift; the disability insurance reviewer had stated that I qualified for permanent disability.  After several weeks working part time I was told by company HR that I needed to return to work full time or changed to part time work which would have eliminated the long term disability insurance company required I pay for as part of benefits.  My boss told me to return to work full time and he would just approve any sick time needed so he covered me as best as I could.

On 12/11/2022 at 4:25 PM, NoSaint said:

If he’s medically cleared and better than the next best option…

This.  I think Saleh is getting a bum rap for being careless with his QB's health a la McDaniel/Tua.

White went to the locker room and got x-rays.  They didn't detect broken ribs.  Medical staff cleared him to return to the game if he could manage the pain.

Salah likely asked White if he could, and White said "yes".  He probably had a load of adrenaline coursing through his body (along with a toradol shot) and didn't feel it until after the game.

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

This.  I think Saleh is getting a bum rap for being careless with his QB's health a la McDaniel/Tua.

White went to the locker room and got x-rays.  They didn't detect broken ribs.  Medical staff cleared him to return to the game if he could manage the pain.

Salah likely asked White if he could, and White said "yes".  He probably had a load of adrenaline coursing through his body (along with a toradol shot) and didn't feel it until after the game.

Well, this is the issue. It should be a big red flag if a player requires a toradol injection for an undiagnosed injury mid-game in order to perform. 

15 minutes ago, Saint Doug said:

Well, this is the issue. It should be a big red flag if a player requires a toradol injection for an undiagnosed injury mid-game in order to perform. 

So I mean, what's undiagnosed?  He had an x-ray at the Stadium, which unlike the Visitor's locker room is updated equipment.  He had a doctor examine him.

It's a league-wide practice: guys get dinged up, make sure nothing's broken and there are no findings on physical exam like joint laxity or limited ROM.  Then they take painkillers or a painkiller shot and go back in the game. 

He may not have needed a shot, either.  Human pain tolerance when adrenaline and endorphins are all revv'ed up is pretty incredible.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Beck Water said:

So I mean, what's undiagnosed?  He had an x-ray at the Stadium, which unlike the Visitor's locker room is updated equipment.  He had a doctor examine him.

It's a league-wide practice: guys get dinged up, make sure nothing's broken and there are no findings on physical exam like joint laxity or limited ROM.  Then they take painkillers or a painkiller shot and go back in the game. 

He may not have needed a shot, either.  Human pain tolerance when adrenaline and endorphins are all revv'ed up is pretty incredible.

He had an undiagnosed rib injury. A negative x-ray by no means an absence of a rib fracture. So, you have to go by function. Is a player able to perform in an absence of analgesics? Miller’s ACL wasn’t seen on the most sensitive imaging we have, yet still had an ACL tear. No one was going to inject that knee with toradol, pat him on the butt, and send him back in. 

Now, if a player has a known injury and it’s determined that playing through discomfort won’t affect the long-term prognosis, then inject away. You don’t do this clinically unclear injuries though. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.