Two ends of the spectrum. Bills have the NFL's worst run blocking but the best pass rushing

Big Turk

3 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

Serious question, how do they pull out metrics on things like pass and run blocking when the assignments are scheme specific?   Seems like it would be subjective based on the reviewer.   I am not arguing that the Bills are good at running the ball, but they are ranked 12th in the league in yards per game, which is above average.  

Just having a hard time with all the negativity when the Bills have the 3rd ranked offense in the league and the best point differential by 12 points.   Feel like there is a ton of nitpicking.  Sick of hearing "The Bills just may be doomed and the Defensive Win Rate by a Player in the 3rd game of their 5th season stat backs it up!"  

A lot of those yards are by Allen on scrambles tho, not the RB's, so it paints a false picture.

This should help paint a better picture...Bills are dead last in Adjusted Line Yards, which is explained below: 

Adjusted Line Yards (ALY): Statistic that attempts to, even to a small extent, separate the ability of a running back from the ability of the offensive line. Adjusted Line Yards begin as a measure of average rushing yards per play by running backs only, adjusted in the following way:

0-4 yards: 100% strength

5-10 yards: 50% strength

11+ yards: not included

runs for a loss: 120% strength

Each play is also adjusted based on game situation as well as quality of opponents faced. Adjusted Line Yards can be listed as total or broken down by direction to attempt to isolate ability of specific linemen.

image.thumb.png.eea19072826d9d5554189b4c176ae690.png

4 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Let me know where to go to watch the results of the play with Taylor behind our OL and downfield blocking.  🙄

C'mon trolls, at least TRY for more subtleness

Troll? You can't. That's why the graph is a waste of your time. Just like listening to Stephen A. And the gang

3 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

A lot of those yards are by Allen on scrambles tho, not the RB's, so it paints a false picture.

This should help paint a better picture...Bills are dead last in Adjusted Line Yards, which is explained below: 

Adjusted Line Yards (ALY): Statistic that attempts to, even to a small extent, separate the ability of a running back from the ability of the offensive line. Adjusted Line Yards begin as a measure of average rushing yards per play by running backs only, adjusted in the following way:

0-4 yards: 100% strength

5-10 yards: 50% strength

11+ yards: not included

runs for a loss: 120% strength

Each play is also adjusted based on game situation as well as quality of opponents faced. Adjusted Line Yards can be listed as total or broken down by direction to attempt to isolate ability of specific linemen.

image.thumb.png.eea19072826d9d5554189b4c176ae690.png

Interestingly enough, they are 4th in Open Field Yards, defined by FO as:

"Yards which this team's running backs earn more than 10 yards past the line of scrimmage, divided by total running back carries. A team with a high ranking in Adjusted Line Yards but a low ranking in Open Field Yards is heavily dependent on its offensive line to make the running game work. A team with a low ranking in Adjusted Line Yards but a high ranking in Open Field Yards is heavily dependent on its running back breaking long runs to make the running game work. "

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

"Yards which this team's running backs earn more than 10 yards past the line of scrimmage, divided by total running back carries. A team with a high ranking in Adjusted Line Yards but a low ranking in Open Field Yards is heavily dependent on its offensive line to make the running game work. A team with a low ranking in Adjusted Line Yards but a high ranking in Open Field Yards is heavily dependent on its running back breaking long runs to make the running game work. "

That is kinda true.  They are pretty much boom or bust. Have had a few long runs in there, mainly on those edge runs or toss sweeps, but get next to nothing up the middle usually.

Up the Middle and over Left Tackle are espeially bad...32nd and 31st in the NFL on those runs.

Marginally better on RT runs.

Surprisingly good on outside runs, ranking 8th in the league to both sides.  Maybe they should focus more on that.

image.thumb.png.02b82ebbe2b09bbc6eb4b5d6e7b1c73c.png

Edited by Big Turk

3 minutes ago, Process said:

We have the #32 ranked run game. 

We've played 4 games and Josh Allen has accounted for 100% of our TDs. He's led the team in rushing 3/4 games. 

I've been watching football for a long time and I don't think I've ever seen a run game that was worse or looked more hopeless. 

Funny when I look it up, it says our run offense is 12th for overall yards, and 11th for yds per attempt.

So I suspect that you're subtracting out Josh Allen's rushing yards to get that ranking, which is fair - but then, are you also subtracting out the rushing yards for all the other QB?  Gotta take out Daniel Jones (193), Justin Fields (147), Jalen Hurts (205), Lamar Jackson (316) etc etc?

I think you're mentally editing out a few games and years.

37 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

The Bills run blocking is dreadful - yes they were the walking and dehydrated wounded in Miami but still - that graphic shows how bad they are.

The Bills run blocking was Van Rotten in Miami. 

Morse really is the anchor of the line. I don't know where he rates league wide, but he gets a solid "competent NFL starter" grade from me. Which is miles ahead of our backups. 

29 minutes ago, gridirongold said:

Josh isn't gonna be around long without someone that he can hand it to that will bang it up in there. The offensive line isn't bad. They back fit the rushing numbers. Too many variables these graphs are useless 

We are the worst ranked offensive line in run blocking by a mile in the chart that this thread is about lol no one is even remotely close to as bad.  

could be partly a product of who we played though.  LA and TEN have tough front 7s then we played Miami missing 5 offensive linemen by halftime 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan

3 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

The Bills run blocking was Van Rotten in Miami. 

Morse really is the anchor of the line. I don't know where he rates league wide, but he gets a solid "competent NFL starter" grade from me. Which is miles ahead of our backups. 

Pas blocking yes...run blocking, we are the worst in the NFL when running up the middle, averaging 3 YPC.

11 minutes ago, gridirongold said:

Troll? You can't. That's why the graph is a waste of your time. Just like listening to Stephen A. And the gang

Yes, Troll.  Your post I replied to said nothing about a graph, so bringing in graph and Stephen A Smith vs. responding to what I actually said is typical Troll straw-man "stir the pot" strategy.

I was in response to this: "If Taylor gets 3 more yards with the same hole is it the OL fault? "

Since we can't "do the experiment" and teleport Taylor in for a game behind our line, that's a ridiculous take. 

Show a little creativity.

Over and Out.

Edited by Beck Water

4 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

We are the worst ranked offensive line in run blocking by a mile in the chart that this thread is about lol no one is even remotely close to as bad.  

could be partly a product of who we played though.  LA and TEN have tough front 7s then we played Miami missing 5 offensive linemen by halftime 

I'm saying the chart doesn't mean jack. 

2 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Yes, Troll.  Your post I replied to said nothing about a graph, so bringing in graph and Stephen A Smith vs. responding to what I actually said is typical Troll straw-man "stir the pot" strategy.

I was in response to this: "If Taylor gets 3 more yards with the same hole is it the OL fault? "

Since we can't "do the experiment" and teleport Taylor in for a game behind our line, that's a ridiculous take. 

Show a little creativity.

Over and Out.

You grade the OL by their chart. Subject was relevant. You stoop to name calling. Dunce

25 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

Serious question, how do they pull out metrics on things like pass and run blocking when the assignments are scheme specific?   Seems like it would be subjective based on the reviewer.   I am not arguing that the Bills are good at running the ball, but they are ranked 12th in the league in yards per game, which is above average.  

Just having a hard time with all the negativity when the Bills have the 3rd ranked offense in the league and the best point differential by 12 points.   Feel like there is a ton of nitpicking.  Sick of hearing "The Bills just may be doomed and the Defensive Win Rate by a Player in the 3rd game of their 5th season stat backs it up!"  

There is no shortage of posts taking what could be a valid point about where the Bills could do better and catastrophizing the worst possible outcome as if it were guaranteed to happen. 

I do think Allen's scrambles inflate our run yards when looking at the overall totals if we're trying to gage our run blocking performance. And I have thoughts about what I hope the Bills do about it, but I won't let myself share those until roughly February 2023. 

Remember when October was mock draft season? No more. Winter is Coming, and it might be chilly. 

25 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

There is no shortage of posts taking what could be a valid point about where the Bills could do better and catastrophizing the worst possible outcome as if it were guaranteed to happen. 

I do think Allen's scrambles inflate our run yards when looking at the overall totals if we're trying to gage our run blocking performance. And I have thoughts about what I hope the Bills do about it, but I won't let myself share those until roughly February 2023. 

Remember when October was mock draft season? No more. Winter is Coming, and it might be chilly. 

Run blocking has been Van Rotten, but maybe they get a little more time to gel?  I am satisfied Singletary is, at minimum, a solid back - so if they continue on this path I am all in on blaming the line.  Maybe Kromer can get it together with them.  We have played some good, physical defenses in Rams, Titans and Ravens.  I am concerned, but not yet abandoning hope.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

That is kinda true.  They are pretty much boom or bust. Have had a few long runs in there, mainly on those edge runs or toss sweeps, but get next to nothing up the middle usually.

I think the best plays have come on zone concepts (particularly outside zone), in which the the line actually is not that bad. When it comes to gap, they are awful, with the exception of Brown. 

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

Exactly, dependent on the runner breaking long runs to make the running game work. And much of that is Josh's scrambles. Which is love!

We just need better blocking on designed run plays. Hopefully they gel. 

14 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Their offensive line has been an issue since 2020… They’ve done a half hazard job with it in order to prioritize the defense. 

Their organizational m.o has been to fill in the OL with veteran FAs that can pass block. They’ve invested heavily in the DL. The offense has been very successful. We’ll see if it ultimately gets them where they want to be… hoisting the Lombardi in February. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.