(LAMP) Please send prayers and good thoughts

Campy

At 3:30 eastern I will be having some tissue removed from between my eyelids and both eyeballs for further examination, ie, a biopsy.

I've already been poked and prodded the last couple of weeks, and it seems I have cancer (lymphoma). If the growths around my eyes are all that there is, the prognosis is pretty good. If the docs determine there is more growth elsewhere -- like in my diaphragm or bone marrow for example -- I will be in for one helluva fight. Either way I'm looking at either chemo or more likely radiation before it's all said and done.

If you could take a moment and offer a prayer or think of me at some point this afternoon, I would truly appreciate it.

Thanks guys (and gals),

-Chris.

PS: For those of you that are curious, I smoked since I was 17 or 18 (I'm 36 now) including 6 of the last 12 months. The docs can't 100% rule out the cigs, but they all seem to be of the opinion that it is most likely not related to smoking as similar amounts of non-smokers get this type of cancer. In any event, I will never smoke another cigarette - you could say I've found the motivatation to quit for good! :D

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At 3:30 eastern I will be having some tissue removed from between my eyelids and both eyeballs for further examination, ie, a biopsy.

I've already been poked and prodded the last couple of weeks, and it seems I have cancer (lymphoma).  If the growths around my eyes are all that there is, the prognosis is pretty good.  If the docs determine there is more growth elsewhere -- like in my diaphragm or bone marrow for example -- I will be in for one helluva fight.  Either way I'm looking at either chemo or more likely radiation before it's all said and done.

If you could take a moment and offer a prayer or think of me at some point this afternoon, I would truly appreciate it.

Thanks guys (and gals),

-Chris.

PS:  For those of you that are curious, I smoked since I was 17 or 18 (I'm 36 now) including 6 of the last 12 months.  The docs can't 100% rule out the cigs, but they all seem to be of the opinion that it is most likely not related to smoking as similar amounts of non-smokers get this type of cancer.  In any event, I will never smoke another cigarette - you could say I've found the motivatation to quit for good! :D

335890[/snapback]

My Mom had non-Hodgkins lymphoma in 1996 and she is doing fine. She had to endure a pretty serious round of chemo and was in a bad way for about a year but all ended well. It was also not without its lighter moments like smoking weed with my Mom so she wouldn't feel like a "junkie" when she needed it to deal with the nausea. I still hear jokes around the office about "Momma's Medicine". I had kidney cancer myself in 1999 but surgery alone seemed to do the trick (knock on wood).

You have all my support and prayers. My only advice: research the crap out of this so that you know everything that is going on and can intelligently direct your own treatment. Study after study shows that people who do that statistically have a better result than those who are passive witnesses to their treatment.

Hey Campy, that isn't the kind of thing i care to hear on a Friday.

I hope everything goes well! My prayer will be that the condition has not spread, that the Dr's will have the wisdom and skill to procede, and that God will give you and your family the grace and strength to face whatever is in store.

God Bless!

I've already been poked and prodded the last couple of weeks, and it seems I have cancer (lymphoma).  If the growths around my eyes are all that there is, the prognosis is pretty good.  If the docs determine there is more growth elsewhere -- like in my diaphragm or bone marrow for example -- I will be in for one helluva fight.  Either way I'm looking at either chemo or more likely radiation before it's all said and done.

Thanks guys (and gals),

-Chris.

PS:  For those of you that are curious, I smoked since I was 17 or 18 (I'm 36 now) including 6 of the last 12 months.  The docs can't 100% rule out the cigs, but they all seem to be of the opinion that it is most likely not related to smoking as similar amounts of non-smokers get this type of cancer.  In any event, I will never smoke another cigarette - you could say I've found the motivatation to quit for good! :o

335890[/snapback]

Lymphoma in a man of your age tends to be VERY, VERY responsive to treatment, be it Hodgkin's or non-Hodgkin's, B-Cell, T-Cell, or whatever mumbo-jumbo. It's not quite so for the older folks and the very young. but my late father-in-law contracted it at age 72, got the treatments and he passed on at age 82 - and not from that.