May Movies: Doctor Strange, & Top Gun, kickoff big Summer Season

Mark Vader

I finally saw a commercial for the new Top Gun movie last night.

They show a few scenes that are stupid and cheesy, and some of the visual effects didn't look good.

Like the new "Pearl Harbor" or "Midway" movies but with F-18s.

22 hours ago, dpberr said:

Top Gun + Christopher McQuarrie. Has he ever written a bad screenplay?  Filled with great actors. Tom Cruise doesn't mail it in.  

Top Gun - the annoying political correctness.  Can't wear the Taiwan flag on the jacket, cast "looks" correct.  May make for a bland film so no one is offended. Likely no Jennifer Connelly in a bikini playing volleyball.

Right... because Hollywood stopped selling sex all of a sudden...

There's a better chance that Jennifer Connelly goes full nude.

22 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

They show a few scenes that are stupid and cheesy, and some of the visual effects didn't look good.

Cheesy is right up Top Gun's alley. I'd be sad of it wasn't cheesy enough...

I have to disagree on the visuals. They look awesome.

28 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

Yeah, I saw an extended trailer for Top Gun 2 before Doctor Strange 2 at the Dolby, the visuals were spectacular.

2 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

I feel Hollywood probably thinks audiences don't want to see a 51-year old woman in a bikini.  They'd be wrong when it comes to her.  

• Agree 1

On 5/12/2022 at 2:46 PM, Nextmanup said:

That take really flies in the face of the several reviews I’ve read, which all say the effects are spectacular as well as the writing, acting, directing, and editing. And when I consider these reviews are offered by cynical critics who were chomping at the bit to trash the movie, I gotta wonder if it’s really a good movie and worth seeing on a large screen. 

• Agree 2

On 5/13/2022 at 4:14 PM, K-9 said:

That take really flies in the face of the several reviews I’ve read, which all say the effects are spectacular as well as the writing, acting, directing, and editing. And when I consider these reviews are offered by cynical critics who were chomping at the bit to trash the movie, I gotta wonder if it’s really a good movie and worth seeing on a large screen. 

Yes the reviews are very good for this movie. Too bad that I'm not a Top Gun fan, otherwise I would see it.

Just saw Top Gun 2, WOW! So much better than the 1st one, just awesome. Better than Mission Impossible 6 which I loved.  I saw this said somewhere and I’d have to agree, Tom Cruise is the last movie star. :worthy:

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

You can't think of any other movie stars who do? I find that hard to believe.

Clint Eastwood has been a star in 8 decades, though not so big in the 50’s, 10’s, and 20’s. That’s great longevity. Cruise has been a star in 5 decades and is going stronger than ever. 

Now, I’m talking old school Hollywood, not a wrestler like The Rock (and I like him, but it’s not nearly the same, not by MY definition…which others apparently share).

On 5/12/2022 at 12:46 PM, Nextmanup said:

The flying and planes were real. They had real pilots doing maneuvers with the actors in the back seat. Most of the CGI used was adding the explosions.

The innovations in this movie involved finding ways to film the action inside and around the fighters.

https://screenrant.com/how-much-of-top-gun-maverick-is-real-cgi/

Also, my showing had a mini-Behind-the-Scenes interview with the pilots who flew the planes.

It added a little more "WoW factor" knowing it was real.

• Agree 1

On 5/27/2022 at 1:02 AM, Rico said:

All the true greats are either gone or in decline but him.

If you think about consistency over decades, I can't think of anyone else prominent today who is in the conversation. I like other actors, but I don't think a fella like Hugh Jackman, for instance, is really a box office star, though he's a solid lead actor.

• Agree 2

32 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

If you think about consistency over decades, I can't think of anyone else prominent today who is in the conversation. I like other actors, but I don't think a fella like Hugh Jackman, for instance, is really a box office star, though he's a solid lead actor.

Tom Hanks is still prominent. Brad Pitt too, but a little younger. DiCaprio will undoubtedly carry the torch. Then there are a bunch of younger guys. Totally disregarding all the female stars, too. Calling someone "the last" of anything is supposed to be reserved for a real dying breed.

On 5/29/2022 at 8:38 AM, unbillievable said:

The flying and planes were real. They had real pilots doing maneuvers with the actors in the back seat. Most of the CGI used was adding the explosions.

The innovations in this movie involved finding ways to film the action inside and around the fighters.

https://screenrant.com/how-much-of-top-gun-maverick-is-real-cgi/

Also, my showing had a mini-Behind-the-Scenes interview with the pilots who flew the planes.

It added a little more "WoW factor" knowing it was real.

Finally saw it yesterday. Such an awesome movie. I'll definitely be getting the blu-ray with all the behind-the-scenes stuff

18 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

Tom Hanks is still prominent. Brad Pitt too, but a little younger. DiCaprio will undoubtedly carry the torch. Then there are a bunch of younger guys. Totally disregarding all the female stars, too. Calling someone "the last" of anything is supposed to be reserved for a real dying breed.

Finally saw it yesterday. Such an awesome movie. I'll definitely be getting the blu-ray with all the behind-the-scenes stuff

Tom Hanks is a good one, another '5 decade' star, but he's older now + his days as a big-movie leading man are just about over. "Elvis" looks great though. can't wait to see it in a few weeks.

https://www.the-numbers.com/box-office-star-records/domestic/lifetime-acting/top-grossing-leading-stars

I don't see anyone on this list touching Cruise right now, not in the age of Marvel.

As for Top Gun: Maverick at home, 4K with Dolby Atmos FTW, the place will be rocking!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.